Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

It would be good to see what the HP designers do with it if that does ever happen - I've got a long list of suggestions for minor improvements.

It would be good to see the Z Club lease platform for creatives & small businesses in the UK - I did ask HP when I bought mine, but apparently there was no news about launching it outside of the US.

2. incredulous

For anyone looking at spare or alternative stylus options for the X2, I just saw this article in the latest issue of Develop 3D.

For whatever reason the author chose to include info about two alternative pens to the one provided with the product from Wacom.

I already knew about the Noris, but dismissed it, as I'd prefer more buttons on my pen, rather than none at all.

Although the website doesn't seem to mention it, the Lamy pen does seem to have a button on the barrel/grip area - has anyone tried it?
    Any idea if the replacement nibs include the option for something with more friction?

I would love to have about twice the friction of the fibre tip on the HP pen (like an HB or 2B on cartridge paper) so I'm always on the look-out..

https://www.staedtler.com/uk/en/products/noris-digital/
    https://www.lamy.com/en/emr/

Attached Files:

WillAdams likes this.
  3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Surprised I missed the Lamy, but thrilled to see it --- I'm down for one --- where does one buy?

4. incredulous

Not sure where you can get one, but no doubt the internet can help you with that.

I've just sent the following query to LAMY on the website, as I realised some key info was lacking:

I have an HP ZBook X2 and have been looking for an alternative stylus.
    I noticed the LAMY AL-star black EMR mentioned in the most recent issue of Develop 3D magazine, so looked it up on the web & have a few questions that don't seem to be answered on your site.
    1. Is the small black oval area on the pen grip a button for right-click, or whatever function I choose to assign?
    2. Are different nibs available that offer a different amount of friction/feel on a device with a textured screen, like the HP X2?
    3. Is there an active digital eraser on the other end of the pen?
    4. Does the pen support tilt for shading or assigning as a control to other tool characteristics in Photoshop or similar programs which support tilt?
    Thanks, I look forward to your reply.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At this time, searching doesn't yield any purchase links. Was hoping for something like to the parts link I found for the HP ZBook X2 pen.

6. incredulous

7. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased my Lamy from Endless Pens as a pre-order, and it arrived a week ago.

https://endlesspens.com/products/lamy-al-star-black-digital-writing?_pos=1&_sid=14d292d96&_ss=r

+ The small black oval is a button. I am assuming you can remap the button if you have the drivers (or hacks) to do so. I currently can't remap the button, but I know of several workarounds that would allow me to do so on my current machine. On my Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, the side button acts as an eraser.
    + It comes with extra nibs, but I can't speak to whether it will offer different "feels" on a textured screen, since I don't have a Zbook x2.
    + There is no extra active area/eraser on the back of the pen.
    + The pen supports tilt in the programs that have tilt.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. incredulous

Update on the LAMY pen:

I got an email back from LAMY support and answers to all my questions & one piece of unexpected good news about nibs:

Thank you for your interest in our pen.
    Please see our answers to your questions below:

1. Is the small black oval area on the pen grip a button for right-click, or whatever function I choose to assign?
    -> Yes, this is a button. Same as on the Samsung S-pen for example.
    HP X2 have setting for Side Switch of Pen in Windows Setting/Device.
    You can select function and assign with side switch.

2. Are different nibs available that offer a different amount of friction/feel on a device with a textured screen, like the HP X2?
    -> The current default pen tip for Lamy AL-star pen is EL and Lamy’s accessory kit (re-fill tips) is also EL tips only, but there are other compatible type of pen tip available from Wacom (POM or Felt).
    Currently uses only EL-type tip for optimised usage on mirror glass surfaces.

3. Is there an active digital eraser on the other end of the pen?
    ->Currently there are no active eraser on the other end of LAMY AL-star EMR.

Lilawyn and WillAdams like this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

A new update to the BIOS is available via the HP Support Assistant. IIRC, it's P72 Ver 1.32...

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

New update via HP Support Assistant: Intel Chipset Installation Utility

No problems during the update...