Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Perhaps that's the case in the US, however even if it is, I strongly suspect you need the battery to be a serviceable part for the law to apply - I sure as hell can't get a replacement battery for my Mum's Surface Pro 3!

2. incredulous

It does seem odd, but until I try it I won't know for sure.
    Based on my observations with the 5V, 15W USB-C charger I mentioned before, I'd be pretty confident the Anker 60W would charge the X2 when it's off or sleeping, but I'm inclined to believe the HP guy about it not working when the machine is awake.
    If I plug in the 15W charger, I see the following warning:

HP Low power charge warning.jpg

If you're interested, you could try adjusting the DC output on your Omnicharge to 60W and see what happens?

By the way, I've placed my funding for the Hyper Juice, so look forward to trying that out in the spring - thanks for the tip.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Repair update #10: It took three round trips to the repair depot in Texas, but I'm pleased to report that, after two weeks of testing and app reinstallation, my X2 finally appears to be completely repaired (and I really missed it for some tasks). The motherboard got replaced again (so 4 motherboards in total) and I asked HP to reimage the SSD back to the factory configuration to rule out any issues of software corruption. However, when I restarted the X2 after it returned, I discovered that the DreamColor app was not installed and I had to update the IR camera driver to get Windows Hello working again. So I wonder a little bit about exactly how well the factory image configuration is maintained...?!??

One thing about this experience that is interesting to me is that I never buy extended warranties on my tech stuff since my experience is that most of it is reliable (or it's so cheap that it doesn't matter). However, when I bought the X2, for some reason I also bought the three year warranty. The X2 died one year and one month after I purchased it! Without the extended warranty, I would have been screwed! I guess my guardian angel was looking out for me on this one!

ATIVQ and Marty like this.
  4. Steve S

Good news, I think. The ZBook X2 customization page at HP.com is now offering 8th Gen i7s (8550 and 8650) again and the system storage options have also been restored (at least I think they've been increased).

This might indicate that HP intends to stick with the X2, at least for the foreseeable future. Maybe a refresh later this year isn't totally a pipe dream after all...???

5. incredulous

Has anyone bought a second stylus for their X2 & if so, how's the calibration when you move back & forth between one and the other?

I'd like to keep a stylus in my work bag so I can't forget it & leave one on my desk, but I obviously don't want to have to re-calibrate every time I swap stylus to get decent precison - has anyone got experience of this?

6. Steve S

@incredulous : The calibration consistency between my "day-to-day" X2 pen and my back-up pen seems to be very good:

Accuracy.png

The test above was done in CSP. I tend to draw by watching the tip of the pen nib, not the exact location of the line that's being drawn. I drew one freehand line with pen #1 and the a second freehand line with pen #2. If the calibration of both pens had not been pretty consistent, I would have not been able to hit the exact intersection with both pens.

Note that I bought my back up pen a few months after I ordered my X2, so both pens are of a similar age or manufacturing date. I can't say if an "original" X2 pen and an X2 pen bought today would have the same consistency as my pens exhibit...

7. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I have several stylus and never need to recalibrate between them. It simply works.

8. incredulous

Thanks for the quick response, that's what I hoped to hear - ordering mine now!
    My machine is coming up to a year old, so we'll see how it works out, but yours looks excellent.

9. incredulous

Terrific, thanks for letting me know - I'm looking forward to having more than one for sure now.

I do with HP had done a deal to make the Wacom Pro Pens compatible - having the choice of shapes and option for two or three buttons on the pen, not to mention more nib options would be very welcome. Something to wish for if the X2 ever gets a second version..

10. Steve S

<<...Something to wish for if the X2 ever gets a second version...>>

I checked the HP website recently. The customization page shows all of the processor options (7th Gen and 8th Gen) again available and a reasonable selection of storage options. So it appears that the X2 is still being fully supported by HP, which is a hopeful sign...