Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Well done finding the videos, I knew about the maintenance manuals before I bought my X2 (repairability was a prerequisite and why I didn't even consider a Surface Book 2) but had not idea there were videos too.
    Good for HP, designing products that can be fixed and upgraded - when the time comes, I'll enjoy swapping out my battery in the smug knowledge that all those Microsoft Surface Pro and Surface book customers don't have any option!

2. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi.
    I know this is an old post and no doubt you sorted your debloat in October, but I thought I'd throw up the solution I used as it's simple and requires no third-party tool:
    I'm not and never will be interested in games, so it gave me great pleasure to completely remove Xbox from my machine!
    I also have an office 265 sub, so use Outlook exclusively & removed mail, calendar etc - it's easy enough to reinstall them if you want though.

Uninstall (& reinstall) Built-in windows Apps:
    Source: https://www.howtogeek.com/224798/ho...-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

First, open PowerShell as administrator. Hit Windows+X, and then choose the “Windows PowerShell (Admin)” option from the Power User menu.

At the PowerShell prompt, copy and paste one or more of the following commands—pressing Enter after each command—to remove the apps you don’t want on your Windows 10 system:

Uninstall 3D Builder:

Get-AppxPackage *3dbuilder* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Alarms and Clock:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsalarms* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Calculator:

Get-AppxPackage *windowscalculator* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Calendar and Mail:

Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Camera:

Get-AppxPackage *windowscamera* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Contact Support:

This app can't be removed.

Uninstall Cortana:

Uninstall Get Office:

Get-AppxPackage *officehub* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Get Skype:

Get-AppxPackage *skypeapp* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Get Started:

Get-AppxPackage *getstarted* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Groove Music:

Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Maps:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsmaps* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Microsoft Edge:

Uninstall Microsoft Solitaire Collection:

Get-AppxPackage *solitairecollection* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Money:

Get-AppxPackage *bingfinance* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Movies & TV:

Get-AppxPackage *zunevideo* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall News:

Get-AppxPackage *bingnews* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall OneNote:

Get-AppxPackage *onenote* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall People:

Get-AppxPackage *people* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Phone Companion:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsphone* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Photos:

Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Store:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Sports:

Get-AppxPackage *bingsports* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Voice Recorder:

Get-AppxPackage *soundrecorder* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Weather:

Get-AppxPackage *bingweather* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Windows Feedback:

Uninstall Xbox:

Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage

Steve S and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeehaar! Guess what I will be doing later today...

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you want a more complete guide, check out Win10 Privacy Guide. Many of the built-in UWP apps require additional commands to remove completely.

Also note, removing the Store may cause problems down the road if future HP system tools are released in UWP format.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Repair update #7: After a phone call to the Z Series product group, the consensus seemed to be that uninstalling and reinstalling the DreamColor app would likely fix it and it did but... and you knew there would be a "but," didn't you?... upon restarting, Windows Hello stopped working. **sigh**

A couple of hours later and another call to the Z Series group and the suggestion is to check HP's support page for any camera-related drivers. As luck would have it, the support page is currently down, so this will have to wait until after Thanksgiving... probably... One potentially useful byproduct of the second call was a tip about the "HP Image Assistant," an app that scans the software load and recommends updates for drivers and other HP software components. Not sure how it differs from the HP Support Assistant, but I might give it a try.

The good news is that, with the exception of Windows Hello, the X2 finally seems to be working again. More to come as I try to squash the last bug or two...

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. Steve S

Repair update #8: I think I've finally restored the X2 to full operation. After some fairly extensive Internet research, I decided to use DISM / SFC to check the Windows installation. Both processes ran without a hitch and, interestingly, reported no corruption or integrity issues with my Windows files. But when I circled back to try Windows Hello again, it was suddenly working! Everything else also seems to be working normally after several days of routine use, so I think the X2 is ready to return to service.

I would have never guessed that it would take so long to get this repair squared away, but I'm glad that I finally did!

PS: Updating the camera drivers had no effect on the problem.

Marty likes this.
  7. Steve S

Repair update #9: Well, the X2 is going back for Round 3; I belatedly discovered that the embedded TPM isn't working. But that's not why I'm writing this post.

After spending a goodly amount of time on the phone with the support rep, the subject of a potential replacement came up. so I decided to ask about the status of X2 production. To my mild surprise, the rep said that it looked like the X2 was still in production. So then I asked him about the possibility of a refresh. He said that if the X2 is refreshed, it would likely be about 6 months to a year off, based on his experience. We also talked about how unique the X2 was so maybe, just maybe, we'll see an Act II for the X2...!

8. doobiedoobiedum

I've been using my zbook a ton since it arrived from the US last year - it is my most used computing purchase ever however I know good things don't last forever so.. thinking about spares and replacements -

1) pen: where does anyone recommend getting a spare stylus from? I'm leery of buying a fake/knock-off by using Ebay but are there any trusted sellers out there?
    2) How long lasting is an etched, bonded screen? If that goes - is it best to get HP to replace it or are there suppliers who have good replacement parts available?
    3) Battery - eventually this will go, I read someone say don't charge beyond 80% and I try to keep to that - is the battery replaceable and like two above - what are the best options for a replacement battery?

I really don't see ever selling my zbook on Ebay - for one, my 9 year old daughter does her animation work on it and so she would get it when I move to my next tablet. I just want to look after it and make sure she gets a really good experience and product after me. She looks after it really well and I'm not worried about a young child destroying an expensive product!

9. Steve S

@doobiedoobiedum :

1) I bought my spare pen directly from HP. I think it cost me $50, which seems like a typical cost for replacement pens these days. It came with the leather case and replacement nibs. The pen alone is P/N 927229-001. The replacement nibs are P/N L07845-001.
    2) What kind of warranty did you get with your X2? Assuming that you got extended coverage, you might be able to get the screen refurbished by HP at a "reasonable" cost. Finding alternate suppliers with the correct part number will probably be difficult at best...
    3) Since the X2 is only a little over a year old, battery replacements are not yet an issue. Since my X2 has been back and forth for repair several times, it's clear to me that it can be disassembled and reassembled without affecting the cosmetics at all. So I'm confident in saying that the batteries can be replaced... for a price... if you want to do that. However again, if you don't have HP do the job, finding a third party with the correct part number to do the job probably won't be easy.

As an aside, charging the battery to 80% rather than 100% really does provide a significant benefit in battery life / battery wear. I just sold my 4+ year old Z Canvas (which had a BIOS setting to limit charging to 80%). According to the hardware monitor app that I ran, battery "wear" was 1%! I don't think that I actually believe that it was 1%, but I do think that it was an indication that the battery wear was pretty low. Note that your X2 offers the same BIOS setting...

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

I need to check with HP as I bought it using a friend in the US. It's the only way I could get decent pricing. (The same model was selling for £2500 in the UK while I paid only £900 in the US.

I'm going to look after the battery and screen as much as I can but I am aware I am really using this thing heavily for Art and illustration. I read Yverloc talking about how constant drawing on his Cintiq screen had left a thin veneer of wispy scratch marks and I'm just trying to be aware of the same.