Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the service center will directly communicate the status of the machine and what is being worked on...>>

I think that's correct. Somewhere... I have a letter with a URL that provides more information. In the last cycle, the X2 wasn't gone long enough for it to be useful. I suppose I ought to hunt that letter up now...

Update: Well, the repair site wasn't very helpful. It simply said that the repair was on hold and I would be notified when it shipped. No insight into what the delay is about...

Marty likes this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you were a user of tabletpcs in the past, you would be aware Wacom didn't let the very best tech get into rival machines otherwise who would buy expensive Cintiqs. HP paid to licence Wacom Tech - how close to the full touch Cintiq experience is something we are seeing from our discussion. That maybe tells you why the book may be close - but not quite close enough.

If Wacom put the full touch experience into the zbook - who would be left to buy the more expensive MSP13? Anyhow, I finally found a glove that works for me - it's actually a really cheap glove from a popular discount store. I borrowed my girlfriend's glove on a whim - just need to buy a set that fits my larger hands better and then cut the fingertips off so I can now use touch and pen at the same time!

3. Djn1975

Djn1975 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi zbookers
    I was waiting until adobe max this year to see if HP released anything new or updated any models but alas that seems to be a no!
    Does anyone have any experience of the performance between the 7x and the 8x processors
    im following a few x2's on ebay at the moment and wondering if theres a big difference between the machines

it will be used for heavy photoshop work mostly

4. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes. For sure, Wacom still wants to offer the best experience for a higher cost.
    However, I don't see much troubles with my Samsung Galaxy Book. There are sometimes some minor issues due to palm rejection, but not often enough to be bothering.
    And if you put your bare hand on the zbook you can still activate things with your left hand fingers for example?
    And while drawing a line you can still use touch?

Happy for you if you found gloves that work for you. Just be careful that their material is not abrasive. Long use could damage the screen.

5. doobiedoobiedum

Yes and yes. With no glove, touch on; I opened Clip Studio, created a large canvas and started drawing.

I put one finger down on one point and then rotated the canvas using the other. So the first finger created a pivot point and I could rotate the screen - then with my fingers on screen, I could draw and activate menu items with the pen. Tested drawing a line and touch still worked.

Haven't tried Photoshop for the same process but Photoshop is an older version while Clip Studio is up to date.

6. HowdyDoody

HowdyDoody Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey All!

Just picked up a ZBook X2 to "replace" my older galaxy book 12! Oh the glory of native right click support! haha

I've been combing through the previous conversations but wanted to know what HP utilities (bloatware) you guys have been removing along with any general tips and tricks you all may have! So far enjoying the experience! Any responses I get I'll gather up along with my own observations in a Zbook X2 setup thread (unless one exists already).

Also, curious if any of you know if the Zbook X2 will be supported by Adobe Fresco at some point in the future. Looks like a fun app to have on hand!

Thanks and hope you all have been well!

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It already is.
    https://www.adobe.com/products/fresco.html

Allegedy they are working on a Windows on Arm version for devices like the Surface Pro X.....but the regular Windows install would work just fine with the Zbook....but given you have to basically be paying the Photoshop Subscription price anyway to use it....I doubt it will have any substantial benefit over using Photoshop itself.

8. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

OK. Thanks.
    And while I'm still scratching my head and overthinking (way too much I think) about buying or not the ZBook X2 (and still waiting for some due payments to fund it), it seems that the good deals are vanishing. HP doesn't have in stock anymore the 16 Gb / 512 Go version .... Neither the online dealers with good prices...
    Last week it was still available at 1800 €, now the lowest prices are around 2200 €. Arghhhh !!

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Repair update #6: The X2 arrived last night, and the whole thing continues to be mysterious. The mother board was replaced...again! And they also replaced the keyboard...?!?? Then the usual "extensive testing."

So I fired it up and this time, at least, it successfully booted into Windows, but again a fully formed desktop rather than Windows Set-Up (as I had requested). It also displayed the same two error messages that I complained about last time, so it doesn't look like HP touched the Windows load at all on this go-around. That's a confidence builder. Not!

Long story short, in addition to stripping out and replacing the HP details in my user account, I determined that the errors are BIOS errors associated with the fact that the DreamColor Assistant won't run; it starts but immediately shuts down, then the error messages appear. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the screen chroma looks a little washed out, but I need to look at that more closely. It was late in the evening before I was able to figure some of this out.

So, more to come, I guess...

Marty and neongolden like this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

I was in a similar position last year then a big American retailer started selling all its stock at less than half price. I managed to get my 16GB zbook for the equivalent of €925.
    I could still sell it now on eBay for more than that - I was just lucky and I had a friend who lives in the US that comes to the UK for Xmas every year.

All I would say to you is get the Dreamcolour version and try to get the latest processors. The ones on the UK HP website are older i7s and cost more than I paid last year.