Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Repair update #4: The X2 is back in FedEx for another attempt at repair. Turns out that the second repair cycle doesn't get the same level of urgency as the first. Still got a complete set of return box and documents, but they were sent 2 day ground rather than overnight air. Same for the return. So between the time that I notified HP that things still weren't right and the time that the X2 is back in Texas for repair, nearly a full week will have expired, rather than 2 days. The support rep says that I'll get the X2 back in 5 to 7 days after that.

Assuming that the X2 returns in usable condition, it will have been out of order for about 3 weeks. Not the worst computer calamity that I've ever had, but not the best repair experience either...

2. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

This palm rejection issue is really bothering me. And it seems to depend on the softwares and maybe how hands are put on the screen maybe. I've seen some reviews where the reviewer is drawing on photoshop, having is right hand, with the stylus, laying on the screen, while paning with the left hand. And there's no apparent issue.

Could it be wether Windows Ink is activated or not in the HP control panel ?

As I don't use Photoshop anymore, from what I remember, it's common to desactivate Windows Ink to have the pressure of the stylus working well in Photoshop. But that's all, no ? No impact in CSP for example. (I just did a quick try and I don't see any difference wether Windows Ink is activated or not).
    I could live with having to activate Windows Ink only when working in photoshop and disable it for other softwares if it allows a good drawing experience with Touch On.

What I noticed depending on the devices regarding touch and stylus interactions :
    - on a whole Wacom system, touch is desactivated at the moment the stylus is seen by the screen. Roughly when the distance between stylus and screen is less than 3 cm / 1 inch. So, absolutely no touch issue when drawing. But you need to train yourself to get the stylus a bit far from the screen when you want to zoom, pan,...
    - on my Samsung Galaxybook (with no possibility to disable Windows Ink), touch is desactivated when I draw : the stylus needs to bet be pressed on the screen, or when you put your hand on the screen in a drawing position (it must detect it's a palm and not a finger). Some problems occur sometimes depending on how fast I put my hand on the screen : the canva can move bit for example. Not perfect, but issues are so minor that it's not really a problem.

Regarding the Samsung S-Pen use : it's just that it doesn't allow to simply select text on a web page (you have to do a long press on a word and then move crusors to selct the sentence you want, as on a phone), and there are some things not working well as moving a window, resize it,... It has to be done with the fingers. Not a big deal but not convenient.

Anyway, I still don't know what do... Buy it ? Wait for the new MSP 13 ? ....

3. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Still thinking about this palm rejection issue.

For those who have problems with palm rejection on the zbook, did you try :
    Settings > Devices > Pen & Windows Ink > Ignore touch input when I'm using my pen > On

4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I seem to have high skin texture - my partner always comments how war / hot my hands are so it could be down to my body temperature. I don't know - will keep trying as the tablet is so good (would love it 4-5 inches bigger and it would be almost perfect)

Yes, been doing that. It's not perfect and I think I may have to retrain myself to draw with the palm of my drawing hand OFF the screen like when I first studied car drawing - if your hand rested on the paper, you smudged the pastel or chalk.

It's far easier to just use the express key to turn touch on or off.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So.....question to fellow ZBook X2 owners......For my Keyboard, the Backlighting comes on by default every-time I turn my device on, and/or connect, reconnect the keyboard. I can turn it off manually with the Function key and F3......but if there any way to make it stay off by Default? I know HP has all their own custom software installed on this thing....but I can't seem to find a way to do it.

6. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Re-learning the way you draw doesn't seem to be the more interesting option.

On my own, I am unable to draw fluently without having my hand resting firmly on the support on which I draw.

But Clip Studio without the touch option isn't a good option for me. I will lose too much of productivity.
    I can disable touch on Photoshop or Illustrator as I generally use them for more specific tasks where I'm less challenged on how fast I work on them.

7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I suppose traditional artists have used mahlsticks for centuries so it is a widespread problem. :p

Anyhow, like I say - you can turn touch on or off at the touch of the correct express key so the question here becomes do you need to or have to pinch and zoom or rotate the canvas exactly the same time you draw as I think that's an easier relearning process or change to make.

I'm not a fan of extra keypresses but this is a less painful one to learn. I will give that a go and post back - I'll also draw more often with the light on so I can see the correct button to touch!

8. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I understand that Touch is easy to activate or desactivate. But when I'm totally involved in my drawing I tend to use mostly the right hand to draw, lift the pen and zoom, rotate, pan or cancel my last stroke(s) with the same right hand.

This way of working really was a revelation to me when I switched from non touch device (Cintiq 21UX) to my cintiq companion.
    And every time I try to use again my 21UX, even with a Wacom Remote and all the express keys I could dream of, I quickly feel very constrained. And I come back to my touch devices, even if the screens are smaller.

I improved my way of inking and my productivity greatly this way. I'm always zooming / dezooming, moving my canva, rotating to have the more pleasant way to do my strokes.
    It's not the most academic way of drawing but it works for me.

I wish I could try the ZBook to see how efficient or bad is the palm rejection on CSP. I'm worried because it's the first device on which I see so much comments about this issue.

The safest way to go would be to wait for the new MSP 13, hoping it will not be too crazy expensive, and that the previous version issues will be fixed.
    But this ZBook seems so nice and powerful !!

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Repair update #5: Wednesday surprise! HP e-mailed to say that they are predicting another week to complete repairs! I'm guessing that they needed to order a part.

I'm starting to wonder if I'll have my X2 by Thanksgiving or not...

Marty likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The communication from HP seems kind of vague, especially on an enterprise product.

In my experience, the service center will directly communicate the status of the machine and what is being worked on (if it's a new drive, new board, etc.).

Hopefully, that email was just auto-generated response and more info is available should you choose to inquire.