Zbook X2 Just Announced

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dv8nathan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone used the Dell Canvas Pen w the ZBookX2, as it is the only current "non-wacom-branded" pen w 2 side buttons? I suspect it would work, but not sure about the second side button and suspect it might be recognized as the eraser so much more limited for button assignments.

I have used Zbrush on my ZbookX2 but mostly w the keyboard. Have anyone tried to configure the HP Express Keys for Zbrush, cannot seem to find a way to have plain vanilla "alt" key modifier, only RightAlt or LeftAlt? It seems to be ok so far....

Glen Southern has a great video on how he sets up his Cintiq Companion for zBrush that is mostly relevant, except multiple "HP Quick Key" press is not possible, like the Multiple "Express Key" press on Wacom.

IMHO I have worked out a bit of it, but it seems the modification on the default zBrush HotKeys might be better. Actually may not need much more that 3 or 4 HP quick keys.

Finally using custom setting for different apps, do not seem to work as well for many apps, EXCEPT zBrush? TO get it to work I set the HP quick keys to "All Other" and then have specific config for PS, SB, CSP...

I never really looked into it much since I don't use zBrush that much on the Zbook X2, plus would use a keyboard and ext monitor anyway for it.

JH

2. artistebot

You suspect it is a Windows related issue?

Maybe you can ask what "extensively tested" means as a simple boot should work? Do you recall what ver of Windows on installed. I am running 1903, but not installed a 2019-10 cumulative Update, plus HP support assistant show no updates available.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I can confirm that the second side button on the Canvas pen is a typical Wacom side-switch that can be remapped normally:

[​IMG]

4. artistebot

I guess I should have written that IF compatible on the Zbook X2, what would the second side button appear as in the ZBook X2 control panel, if at all?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  5. Marty

It should map to same side switches as on ZBX2 control panel, as all the UD pens work on the same frequency modulation.

I've tested other 2-button UD pens on the Canvas and they respond to same mappings on the Dell control panel. You could try using other UD pens on the ZBX2 and see if you they respond to the same mappings on your machine. If so, then they should all be interchangeable.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Doesn't HP offer advance replacement with its professional products (especially since you purchased from them directly)?..>>

@Marty : I don't know if that's part of my warranty coverage or not as I haven't had a hardware problem this serious in a long time. I'll have to explore the terms to see what's offered. In any event, I doubt that HP could offer me a new X2 even if the warranty allowed it. The 8th Gen versions of the custom X2 have been off the website for months, and I'm not sure that I want to settle for a refurb...

<<...You suspect it is a Windows related issue?...Do you recall what ver of Windows on installed. I am running 1903...>>

@artistebot : When the X2 failed, it was fully updated (I update every day or two), so 1903 plus all the intervening cumulative updates. As for whether it is a Windows problem, I am beginning to think that it might be a problem with my SSD... Which would be ironic considering that I ordered the ZTurbo NVMe SSD , in part, for its higher reliability and durability...

Marty likes this.
  7. artistebot

Thanks Marty.

I guess I might wait for a price drop on the Dell pen or maybe another 2-button option. I have been ok w just one button, it was only w zBrush where having a second might be useful.

What other 2-button pens did you try, I assume they are the older spec, such as the LifeBook, and UP911E? As far as I know only the Dell Canvas and the upcoming Acer Concept D9 are current UD pens w 2 side buttons?

Crazy.

So yours is a custom config, mine is the pre-config ver w the Toshiba drive.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Repair update #3: Got off the phone with the Work Station technical team a little earlier today. There seems to be some uncertainty about exactly what got worked on my X2 as the documentation that I received appears to differ from the technical notes included in the repair case file. The "official" cause of the failure was a faulty keyboard controller, resulting in the replacement of the motherboard. Beyond that, things are hazy. My documentation says that Windows was reloaded, but the case file doesn't say that. The tentative new diagnosis is that the Windows load is corrupted. At this point, I'm thinking that I'm going to insist that they take the X2 back and check the SSD, then reimage the drive. More to come, I'm sure...

PS: To contact HP's Z series group: (800)-334-5144 and at the prompt say: "Z series running windows"

9. Marty

Yeah those 2-button pens are a rare breed. ;)

I tested the UP817E and the Fujitsu T5000 pen. The other 2-button pens I have are the Axiotron 'slim' and 'fat' pens, the UP-816E (aka Modbook pen) and the UP-911E that you mentioned:

[​IMG]

If you're interested, I made a short guide to old-school EMR pens, a while back.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Out of curiosity, has anyone found a glove that helps with palm rejection on the zbook screen?

I KNOW you can turn touch on and off using the express keys on the side but I'm greedy as it is one less express key available if you map it to your software. Also - if I'm drawing in the dark while watching TV it's hard to pick out the right key. (Lazy and greedy - I know)

I've tried a variety - last night I even used a weight lifter's fingerless glove and it still picked up my palm. Maybe I should stop being lazy/greedy and give up the express key permanently...

You know, the one thing I never tried when I still had my Canvas was just that - and I actually preferred the weight of the Dell Canvas pen to the HP pen.