Zbook X2 Initial Impression

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by carnageX12, Sep 6, 2018.

1. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

@carnageX12
    Apologies from me for the tardy response, I had completely missed this reply.
    Thanks for looking into the problem, it seems bonkers to me that HP wouldn't have a handle on the browser supplied as part of the operating system, but not much surprises me these days! I would test out your theory, but I finally returned my demo unit and rebuilt my Vaio flip 15 with an SSD borrowed from a friend to tide me over till I decide what to do about the X2.
    It's amusing to see the new HP Spectre folio adopt such a similar form factor to the idea Sony came up with in 2014 - I still like it in principle and it's certainly a better solution than the Yoga style implementation, which makes converting from laptop to tablet impractical with any peripherals plugged in.

The surface-style form factor of the X2 is the best all-rounder so far though - if there were a way to make it more usable on your lap it would be spot on..

On the subject of any updates/refresh to the X2, or it's demise, the following is all I've got out of the guy I've been communicating with in workstations sales:-
    'Regarding a new version of the ZBook x2 I’ve not heard anything and there has been no official announcement, we already have the 8th gen chips so I guess that’s it for a while but can’t confirm either way as yet whether there will be a new version in future.'

At the time, I wasn't aware of the i9 chips and new GPUs for the rest of the ZBook range, so I'll go back to him with that and if anything useful comes of it, I'll post again.

I've drafted a review of the X2 too, it needs a little polishing up, but will go up at some point - there are various things that irritated me which I've not seen anyone else mention - I'm not sure what that says about me, but will be interested to see what people think...

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the following is all I've got out of the guy I've been communicating with in workstations sales...>>

@incredulous : Thanks for the follow-up, even if it's a bit late. As you may have seen in an adjacent thread, I decided to order an X2 after Microsoft announced their SP6 refresh, with processors that HP has been using since February. Regarding the b2b feedback that you got, I got a very similar response from the small business sales rep who arranged my purchase. First of all, he check to see if there were any new models in the catalog (no...). Then he looked at the last update and speculated that, in his experience, the X2 wouldn't be refreshed for about a year, assuming that HP kept it in their line-up.

Not encouraging, but not really discouraging, either. I'll be interested to know if your contact has any new thoughts based on the 9th Gen updates that HP recently made...

3. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

You're welcome @Steve S , I'll certainly update if I get any more info.
    The Bluetooth keyboard of the X2 puts it streets ahead of the surface Pro in my book, regardless of internals. I simply can't understand why this feature isn't normal for this form factor.

Anyhow, enjoy your new machine.

4. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member