Zbook X2 Initial Impression

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by carnageX12, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...It was a consumer event...The ZBook line is doesn't have the "flair" that most people would excited about...>>

Well, you raise a good point. You could look at it that way...

<<...at professional events...you'll likely see HP promoting the ZBook and DreamColor products...>>

Time will tell...

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But that in there is the problem.....it may be a premium/creative business oriented device...….But so too are Macs, Ipads, and Surface's. The key is to make a Premium device.....wanted by the consumer market. If people want it they'll find a way to afford it....like so many people manage to do with Apple products even though (in many cases I know at least) they fall well beyond many people's budgets.

If HP wanted the Zbook to sell better....they need to get it out in the stores....even with the inflated price tag......but with creative software installed and staff who actually know what the device is and how to sell it, and pens that actually work.

Every iPad Pro I've seen at Best Buy or Apple Stores always has the Pencil in pretty good condition.....ready to use.....and Procreate or other Art Software is always pre-installed for people to try.

At Best Buy despite those Wacom Ink pens everywhere.....all the windows devices don't really have any software to really test the pens out. If you're lucky you can get sketchable running....but most of the devices are locked down so you can't download software. And with Best Buy and the Surfaces.....I have three best buys near me.....all only having the Pro 4 pens out....with the Pro5/Book 2.....which is already a subpar pen performance compared to the newer surface pen.....but the nibs are either outright missing or so horribly mangled they are near unusable.

The only physical store that I've found that carries the Zbook X2 is B&H in NYC...….but like Best Buy.....its locked down without any software to test on it....and its nestled in-between so many other "normal" laptops....its very easy to overlook....heck when I went to B&H to see the Zbook….I walked past it like 3 times because it just blended so well in with everything else it was more like playing where's waldo.

Its bad enough that so much of the creative industry is still Mac dominated.....but with devices like the Zbook X2 and even Mobile Studio Pros.....both HP and Wacom really need to rethink they're strategy if they want them to sell better.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

If you want to sell devices with 100% Adobe RGB 10-bit displays hook them up to an sRGB display and just run a slideshow with Adobe RGB photographs or a DCI-P3 bluray. The color difference is so stark that people will understand immediately why DeamColor/Adobe RGB/DCI-P3 is better than sRGB.

4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok wait, wait...I don't agree that HP's doing it wrong here. You invariably make sacrifices when you try have your cake and eat it too.

Look at the MacBook Pros. Yes, they have a lot of consumer appeal, but Apple sacrificed so much performance to achieve the sleek form factor, that the MBP line can scarcely be called performance laptops, let alone professional workstations.

Even if HP wanted to, realistically, they do not have the marketing mojo to hypnotize professionals and consumers alike into chasing an aesthetic over functionality. So they chose instead to focus squarely on utility and performance—while still keeping a reasonably elegant design—but far from one that would turn heads at a trade show.

Having separate consumer and enterprise lines an effective strategy in HP's current position as hardware supplier across the horizontal market; it leaves the Spectre/Elite lines to compete with Surfaces and MacBooks, and frees the ZBook line to pursue high-end performance and workstation niche.

The net result is HP can truly expand the tablet market, and not merely chase it. Which is great as a tablet enthusiast! ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    David B likes this.
  5. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Not to derail the thread, a lot of good information. After my canvas, I can for certain say that I will never, ever, ever... buy another 16:9 screen, ever... again......, ever...o_O I do love the design of the Zbook though, if they added a 3:2 screen ratio to the Zbook it would be an instant purchase and keeper. Thus I will most likely buy the Acer unicorn when funds permit. To me, being an artist, a 16:9 screen is a great injustice that cant be overlooked. That design though with the physical buttons along the screen is an artists dream and I really like how the kickstand functions.

Marty likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As another Canvas owner, I can say that was my greatest issue with ZBX2 from day one. Many people are confused by this, as the 14" screen is technically the same height as the ZC, only longer:

[​IMG]

But as I explained in a followup post, there is a psychological effect exerted by the viewport boundaries in 16:9 that is very restricting when sketching or designing with minimal UI (eg. my CSP workspace).

I'm also curious, you said the ZBX2 would be an instant buy with 3:2; but with the presence of the express key bezels along the sides, even with 3:2, wouldn't it still be a little awkward to hold in portrait? Is that not an issue for you?

Personally, I really like how balanced and portable the Canvas feels in landscape or portrait. I would much rather have the express keys along the edge of the device (with the volume buttons etc.) rather than taking up screen area. As an artist, is there a reason you would prefer the express keys on the front?

Attached Files:

jbaks likes this.
  7. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

My way of drawing digital art is unorthodox to say the least. I'm a fairly agile guy, most of the time I lay on my stomach while I draw with my instrument laying completely flat on the floor, I cant seem to draw with a slight curve at all, at least I haven't felt the need yet. It has to be perfectly flat, it feels extremely natural to me and relaxing at the same time. No pressure on my back or butt for hours and my back gets a nice stretch. The more comfortable you are for me after hours of drawing the better, as it is reflected in your work.

I'm just a hobbyist though, so take it with a grain of salt what I say about being an artist. I don't use portrait mode either, just landscape so far any way. The only type I use the crossover(convertable tablet) in portrait mode is to view and focus my subjects in my portraits as that is what I have started with as a digital artist which I do so very much love drawing but I would like to some day get more involved in depth of field nartual habitat artwork, maybe futuristic urbanized art would be cool.
    One of my favorite examples of this type of artwork.

Some of my stuff, the goods:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Marty likes this.
  8. carnageX12

carnageX12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for delay in responding, finite and capstone classes are killing me. I don't have the pro engineer wildfire or the ptc creo, but I did see what you meant with the edge browser. I tried setting up some custom keys for the app and they didn't work. I then tried chrome to see it didn't like browsers, but worked fine. Then I tried internet explorer and still worked fine. So I took a closer look at the edge browser and noticed when it is selected from list of running apps it showed an odd path. I got to thinking about adding it manually and so used the browse feature to find it. LocalDisk/Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/MicrosoftEdgeCP. Selecting that and customizing the buttons works for when using the browser (Note: the MicrosoftEdge without the CP resulted in customization options still not working). Again I don't have the other apps, but perhaps something similar was happening and selecting the running app did not return the correct file pathway for the program. If you did try manually selecting the program for customization, and even made sure to try different ones if there were multiple application files for a given program to choose from, then not sure what to try next. It seems like the create panel is able to automatically find the correct path in most instances, but there are some that need to be manually picked.

9. David B

David B Pen Pal - Newbie

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The additions were revealed in the run-up to the Adobe MAX conference...>>

...When the conference begins, perhaps someone will have the presence of mind to simply ask HP about its plans for the X2...