Zbook X2 Initial Impression

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by carnageX12, Sep 6, 2018.

1. carnageX12

carnageX12 Pen Pal - Newbie

@incredulous What CAD program(s) were you trying? I haven't installed any CAD programs yet, but was planning to soon. If I have the same software I don't mind trying and letting you know what I find.

2. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Steve.
    I'm only indirectly in contact with HP engineers (through Workstation sales) but can try for you.

3. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi @carnageX12 I'm using Pro Engineer Wildfire 4.0 & PTC CREO 3.0, although I experience the same problem (with HP Create Control Panel) not detecting the active application correctly) when using Microsoft Edge browser!
    I've set several quick keys to F5, Alt+W, Ctrl+T and the J K & L keys. Sometimes they work, sometimes I get the defaults - it's maddening.
    Interestingly, I don't get the problem with Internet explorer 11

Please let me know how you get on.

@Happehlemons are you using the Wacom control panel? Did you observe the issue with the HP panel?

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I'm only indirectly in contact with HP engineers (through Workstation sales)…>>

@incredulous : That might actually work, assuming that it is a more B2B connection. So ask these two questions:
    • Is HP working to improve the harmony between the pen driver and the touch driver (e.g. to get better palm rejection behavior)?
    • Can we expect a refresh of the ZBook X2 to address some of the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities?
    Thanks!

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You got an open channel to the engineers, and that's all you want to ask?! o_O

I guess that's why you're the moderator, and I'm in the peanut gallery. ;)

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Please also ask what's being done about the stylus selection issue since Fall Creators Update --- we really need an option to revert to the previous behavior for contemporary apps such as Edge as well as legacy apps.

7. Steve S

An observation from this morning's Folio introduction. During part of the run-up to the actual introduction, Alex Cho (VP & GM of Business Systems, I think) talked about HP's innovation and flair for new PC form factors. One would think that it would have been a perfect opportunity to show the ZBook X2, which I think we would all agree was an innovative and noteworthy design. But instead, Cho simply showed a couple of HP's recent thin laptop designs (which couldn't be more ordinary, in my opinion). The ZBook X2 was nowhere to be seen or mentioned.

Unfortunately, that tells me that HP doesn't think of the X2 as representative of their current product line, and that, in turn, suggests that the X2 may now be on borrowed time. If that turns out to be true, the X2 will be the second artist's tablet that wasn't given a chance to grow into its full potential...

8. David B

David B Pen Pal - Newbie

Question for those with the X2 - where I consistently run into problems with the Z Canvas - Can you use the 'select and mask' in photoshop without issue? (I'm working on images imported from Lightroom, but most of the time Photoshop crashes on the Vaio as I try to do detailed masks.)

ticol likes this.
  9. Steve S

<<...Can we expect a refresh of the ZBook X2 to address some of the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities?..>>

...Just spoke with an HP rep at their Small Business Center. He seemed more forthcoming than usual, so I decided to see what he could tell me:
    • Are there any sales in the foreseeable future on the ZBook X2? He said that there would be sales, but that there wouldn't be dramatically better prices on the X2 because it was a business computer. "A small difference in price..."
    • Will the X2 be refreshed in the near future? He didn't think so: "...probably not for another year."
    I can't say if these comments are accurate or not, so caveat emptor...

10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Aren't you reading a bit too much it this? It was a consumer event, where they showcase consumer products. The ZBook line is doesn't have the "flair" that most people would excited about; they're kinda boxy, unlike the far sleeker Spectres.

Whereas at professional events like this year's SIGGRAPH and the current Adobe MAX event, you'll likely see HP promoting the ZBook and DreamColor products left-right-and-center.