Zbook X2 G4

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by RazorblisS, Jan 10, 2020.

1. RazorblisS

RazorblisS Pen Pal - Newbie

So I've got a Cintiq 16 pro, and recently purchased the Zbook X2 G4, expecting the pen experience to be similar.
    Though I've got one big concern, the Initial pressure of the pen is too big, I have to press for it to start drawing.
    I did edit it from the HP(wacom) app, but that hardly changed anything. Any idea is this normal?
    Shouldn't it be close to none required to start drawing?

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

in regards to this.

I bought a Zbook Pen two years ago to use with my Galaxy Book 10.6....(bigger pen, eraser, and rounder nib > spen).......I’ve used it a lot with the Galaxy Book and the pen worked as well as the Pro Pen 2 for me (I also had a Mobile Studio Pro 13) and the initial activation force was near zero.

now a few months back.....I bought a Zbook x2.....so now I had two Zbook pens....my well used one of two years.....and a brand new one. And like you.....I similarly discovered the Zbooks activation force with the new Zbook Pen was weirdly high. So I took my 2-year old Zbook Pen and tried that on the Zbook......it worked perfectly.

If I had to guess.....I think it’s a mechanical element in the pen....like the more you wear the pen in, the more responsive it gets. Like maybe the nib assembly gets tighter or more stiff after longer periods of inactivity. Also keep in mind the Zbook is nearing 2 years of age....it’s possible they created a whole stockpile of pens 2 years back......so the pen that came with yours might have been sitting unused for 2 years......

I haven’t used the Zbook for Art all that much.....but I can verify after a few months of sporadic work.....the newer pen performs much more on par with the 2-year old pen.

3. RazorblisS

Just tried forcefully pressing it down on hard surface few times, I notice slight improvement, but it's still not great
    might check with warranty as it has 1 month left (got it second hand, but unused, 0 battery cycles, etc)

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It might also be a change in the manufacturing process...when I got my first zbook pen for my Galaxy Book...I don't remember this being an issue at all.......while on one hand it could be from the pens sitting for a while....maybe they produced a new batch of pens after a set time, and those newer pens have this issue? I thought it might have been the matte display of the Zbook.......but the newer pen didn't work as well on my Galaxy Book as well.....so it has to be the pen. But I really do think it is a matter of breaking the pen in.

Another option.....Any recent EMR Pen.....like Samsung's S-pens from the Galaxy Book line should work on the zbook. Also the new Wacom One display tablet.....that uses the same digitizer....so the Wacom One Pen should also work.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Another option.....Any recent EMR Pen...>>

In fact, every EMR pen that I have works on the X2, at least for basic inking. Somewhere in the ZBook X2 Just Announced I posted about this...

6. RazorblisS

How about CPU? It's i7 8550U, with base clock on 1,9, but it hardly rises above 80% load when I run a stress test.. It stays around the 1.6Ghz mark..
    CPU-Z shows 800-1000 scores. wondering why and whats expected from that cpu..
    doesn't seem to be overheating either... though I did see a 90C report in HWMONITOR at some point yesterday...
    did i get a dud?
    can someone run some CPU benchmark and post their result so I can compare

7. RazorblisS

I'll compare it with the Surface Book, though I'd expect the Zbook to perform better given it's a thicker workstation device,
    They goth the same CPU atleast

8. Steve S

<<...How about CPU? It's i7 8550U, with base clock on 1,9, but it hardly rises above 80% load when I run a stress test...>>

80% is a suspicious number. Have you checked your power settings to be sure that your CPU performance isn't being artificially limited?

9. RazorblisS

Yes, sorted it out, it seems the Zbook has some bios feature which disables super threading when not on charger. I disabled that and ran a benchmark, but now it reaches 99C, which seems too much.
    Anyone with the Zbook that can replicate and let me know how his behaves?

10. Steve S

<<...now it reaches 99C, which seems too much...>>

A quick check of the i7-8550U specs shows that the maximum temperature permitted on the die is 100° C, so it looks like the CPU is now thermal limiting.

You might want to think about just how important that benchmark is to you...