zBook x2 g4 tips

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by doobiedoobiedum, Jul 21, 2020.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As the main thread requires quite a bit of searching for tips I wanted to help other owners find tips quickly. So starting with the thing that held me back for quite a while here's the Create Control panel explained far better than on HP's own official videos.

To change zbook battery charging and limit to 80% in BIOS.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06465959

For me, pressing F10 doesn't work - that just seemed to bypass the face recognition for logging in.

With the zBook on - hold SHIFT down and restart the computer. This allow you to go to BIOS settings but first Select UEFI Firmware Settings and work your way in from there.

Basically you need to choose extend Battery health - this limits the charging to 80% maximum.

Steve S and WillAdams like this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

Check your BIOS settings after every BIOS update from HP - it may have reset the 80% battery charge limit....

3. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree, it is no longer there on mine.

4. doobiedoobiedum

I'm no longer in warranty so I couldn't get through to support.

I tried everything to get back into BIOS settings but failed - if you or anyone who has warranty and can get through to support can ask HP why they advise us to set battery settings at 80% then remove that setting in the next BIOS update. It could be a Windows 10 thing but Esc / F10 / Shift all failed to bypass login and I can't get into BIOS.

Frustrating... I don't think I've had my zbook charge up to 100% too many times since and I only noticed this week when I had time to leave it on charge for an hour.

5. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

That's strange. I still have access to the Bios settings by holding shift and restarting the computer.
    But there are only 2 options for the battery management :
    - one which is something like "let hp manage to get the maximum life duration of your battery"
    - the other is something like "use your battery at its maximum capacity"
    I don't remember the exact texts.
    I'll check.
    By default it was on the first choice. And my battery loads up to 100%.
    So, maybe the charging process isn't done the same and don't strain the battery as much.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. doobiedoobiedum

@Steve S

Thanks Steve, I had a look at the website and it's not clear whether that means I don't have to worry about battery charging or not. At least there is an improvement in battery management - I just have to set an alarm or something seeing as I can't get into BIOS anymore.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. doobiedoobiedum

Hallelujah!

The option to enter through Advanced Startup did the trick. I pressed exit by mistake and out of curiosity tried shift when restarting and it worked.

Reaaly strange?

Confusingly, I tried Steve S's link and got into BIOS/UEFI and it was a hunt but I eventually found Power Management and the 80% charge option was there as the third option. The two you mention are also there.