Z2760 Atom vs i5 i7 Tablets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mysticle31, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Mysticle31

Mysticle31 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to the wonderful research some of the members of this board and the general internet have done, I've limited my tablet choices down to a couple.

The main question now, is which CPU do I want. The Z2760 Atom vs i5. Only the Sony Vaio Duo has the i7, and I'm not really considering it.

I intend to take notes in school, surf the web, watch movies, Netflix, office 2012, email, light Photoshop. Both can run full Windows 8 Pro.

If I've been using an older Core 2 Duo for years now and it's never given me any trouble. Could I be happy with a Z2760? What could offer the most compatibly with Windows 9? I plan on using this device for at least 4 years upgrading the OS as it comes, unless something revolutionary comes along.

I'm aware of the battery life issues and don't really care. My older 2730p has about 30 minutes of life, and I'd love for it to be a couple hours, but I'm surviving just fine.

2. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll say I'm having real issues with the Netflix windows8 app, my tablet is not fast enough to run it from a browser. Maybe it is a CPU/GPU issue but when it works it seems to work well so I doubt that is the reason. Fire up my Android tablet (Tegra) and the movies play fine from the same wifi in the same location so not a connection issue either.

No one can really suggest what might work with the next version of windows.

As far as things go, I've been really impressed with the difference in performance between windows7 and windows 8 on my Acer w500 tablet, it is noticeably faster on win8, especially the "new UI" applications. A win8 RT tablet might do what you want, even an Android tablet should do what you want, especially if it has a Tegra 3 processor. Depending on the level of photo editing you need would determine whether Android, win8RT, or win8 full would be the device you need.

3. Merlin_AZ

Merlin_AZ Scribbler - Standard Member

Since he's also looking at Photoshop, neither RT or Android will work for him.

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

The Netflix website uses Silverlight as a means to stream the movie. Silverlight, last time I checked, did not support hardware acceleration. Microsoft promised to implement the feature, but never did. And now that they stopped developing the platform, it will never happen. So watching Netflix via browser will always consume more resources than doing it via any app (iOS, Android, RT) since the apps do support hardware acceleration.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

The Netflix App works really well though...

6. tissot

tissot Pen Pal - Newbie

I have pretty much exactly the same use as you. I was since start going for full Windows 8 tablet experience and as atom tablets were delayed i got carried away and was going to wait till Surface pro. I should add that good stylus support (in other words, wacom digitizer) and attachable keyboard were essential to me that also limited the available tablets. I'm using the tablet for media use and in my university studies.

Week ago i walked to store here in Finland and tried out W700 i5, Vivo Tab, Envy X2, ATIV Smart PC and ATIV Smart PC Pro.
    While i was really impressed by W700 build quality, screen and speed, it did just hit me what i was really looking for. Even with the use of photoshop and office, i was still looking for iPad like device that's very light and is truly portable tablet with amazing battery life (i have so far been really surprised just how great the W8 atom tablet battery life have been), but is still more flexible than iPad and got bigger screen.
    I was also obsessed with having higher resolution screen previously. While W700 screen did look great, i was starting to have second thoughts testing the devices out if it actually made that big of a difference on the 10.6-11-6" tablet/hybrid. Vivo Tab screen was quality wise amazing.

It's hard for me to yet judge the performance as i'm getting the tablet this week when new stock arrives, but just throwing out my thoughts out there after waiting and looking at these W8 tablets for past 6 months.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  7. Alchemist

Alchemist Scribbler - Standard Member

Your usage and history with core 2 duo machines not being a problem performance wise would lead me to think that either the new atom of i5 would fill your processing needs fine. So the question comes down to battery life versus bonus performance, and gaming performance. The i5 with intel 4000 video will be capable of running alot of games and most software you want to run, but you will get notebook or ultrabook level battery life... say 5-6hrs more or less depending on the model. They also require active cooling (fans/vents) and are heavier than the atom based units.

The atom will get you much more battery life and if you get one with a keyboard dock you will get double-digit hours of battery life easily. Its low power states also let it operate more like an ipad with instant on, versus the i5 which will be more notebook like in usage.

There is no question the atom is alot lower power than the i3/i5... if performance is your need then its the obvious choice. If the atom power is enough for you, you don't care about running 3d games much and all day battery life with weeks of standby time is your thing then the atom fits the bill.

8. Mysticle31

Thanks for the responses guys. Stuff to think about here, there is.

My photoshop needs are so light, I'm almost positive that there is an android version avialble for what I want to do. I would just need to find a one-note like app for android, and the tablet would have to have a pen. Then we would be a-ok.

Our desires seem fairly similar. I need a pen for note-taking. I want in in a silo. That leaves the Samsung 700T i5, maybe the Surface Pro since the pen can attach to the tablet with the magnet, the TPT2 Atom, and the Samsung 500T Atom.

Even if I lifted the requirement for the silo, the Envy 2 and the Vivo Tab are out because they have no ports on the tablet itself.

9. Mysticle31

For me, it's really come down to the Clover Trail Thinkpad Tablet 2 vs the Samsung 700t vs the Surface Pro.

I know that the WPrime thread shows that the 2730p scored 42 sec and the Clover Trail tablets were all ~60 seconds. So that's a little less CPU than my current rig. Whereas the Samsung 700T scored 22 sec.

I've read a road-map for Intel's Bay Trail which seems like a wonderful chip. Although should one really wait for the next greatest thing when it comes to technology? There is always something over that next hill. We should start to see Bay Trail tablets by Dec/Jan 2014? Earlier? Later?

Maybe what I'll do is buy a TPT2, and a used 2760p or build a desktop for more intense tasks. Hmph.

It also occurs to me that my old desktop that I built when I was gaming (I'm not anymore) is a Core 2 Duo with 2GB of ram. I fired it up and started using it today, while the RAM is the same and can handle all of my open tabs. I wonder how the Clover Trail performance would compare.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

It all boils down to how much wait is enough wait....and that changes for different people. I'm at a comfortable situation in which I don't need more speed (I mostly run my TM2 on Power Saver mode and the integrated Intel GPU). So, I'm ok with waiting another 13 months to see the wonders introduced at CES 2014. And the wait becomes easier when I remember that none of the current tablets perfectly suits my taste. Bay Trail seems a good target.