Z Canvas is the machine I've owned the longest

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Mr. Boosh, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've had my Z Canvas now for 16 months. Since I got into tablet PCs this is the machine I've kept the longest. I spent a pretty penny on this model used, with warranty still in affect through 2/18.

When at home it's connected to a USB 3.0 docking station that powers 2x1080p touchscreen monitors, speakers, keyboard, printer, and when I unplug it it goes with me to class for notetaking.

My use case allows for it to last throughout the day, as I can plug it in at lunch and most of my daily activities are in OneNote or Chrome. I really do appreciate the power as OneNote can bog down when importing massive lecture PDFs and every second counts.

I have no idea if I will upgrade soon. If I did, I think I will go back to a convertible form factor and something with a better keyboard than the Z Canvas'. But as of this point, I think it's safe to say I've been really happy with this machine. It successfully consolidated things to a single computer, and for day to day usage, I see no difference compared to the old i7-4770k mini-ITX build I had overclocked to 4.6GHz. Minor slowdowns in photoshop and illustrator, but nothing worth complaining about.

Marty likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've had this machine for about the same amount of time, and while I can't say it's been my longest (that honor goes to the EP121 at 4 years) it is the most well-rounded in terms of performance, ergonomics, build-quality and overall aesthetics of any tablet I've used.

I've taken it on long backpacking trips in Japan, multiple business trips to China, and used it everyday for design work, large file organization, heavy browsing and research, and in all these activities it's rock-solid performance—akin to desktop—as you said.

In fact one thing I think most people overlook is that stable processor performance that dual-core tablets simply don't have under heavy multi-tasking/load scenarios.

It's amazing Vaio was able to achieve that in a 12.3" form-factor with silent cooling...simply outstanding.

3. Mr. Boosh

Have you considered upgrading? I've been thinking of the Surface Book with Performance Base, mainly due to the laptop form factor. The extra graphical power would be nice as well.

I do find myself constrained with where I can take the Z Canvas sometimes.

4. Marty

Everday. :)

But there really isn't anything that matches the Z Canvas' combination of portability and performance. Even the new 8th-gen ULV quadcore tablets can't really hold up under sustained loads like the HQ processor in the Canvas.

Any new tablet I get will probably not be an "up"-grade per se, but rather a trade-off of CPU performance for some other feature.

SB2 15" has just few to many trade-offs for its exorbitant price...the machine I'm most looking forward to would be an 8th-gen refresh of the Galaxy Book (with an increased screen size to 13.5"+ if possible ;)).

5. Mr. Boosh

Who's still rocking the ZC!?

6. David B

David B Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been eyeing the Zbook X2, but so far am still rocking the ZC.

Can't yet figure how the 8650u does under sustained load compared to the ZC and the m620 I fear will not be that far removed from the Iris in the ZC - I'm secretly hoping for a Zbx2 refresh this fall with a P1000 or so as they've got Wacom, tb3 ports, and a backlit keyboard.

7. Mr. Boosh

Me too, but sooo expensive! I am also eyeing the X1 Yoga, but not sure if I'll notice or hate the performance drop, especially if I went with anything except the 8th gen ultrabook CPUs.

8. Marty

If you happen to find a very thorough benchmark comparison, please post it.

My top pick right now for a ZC replacement is the SB2 15" also with the i7-8650U. Still undecided if I want to sacrifice all my ports in slate mode though. If they just put the SD slot in the slate half, I think I could live with it... (but those higher storage tiers are sooo expensive!)

Then again. that added screen real-estate is mighty tempting...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  9. Mr. Boosh

After looking at used prices, X2 is back on my list. Benchmarks actually score the 8560u a bit higher than the 4770HQ. Although synthetic, I bet the experience will be similar. For the moments where I do use a pen, EMR will be awesome, as I do miss that experience. Mapping those buttons would be quite nice too.

However, I'd want to upgrade that thing, probably by buying the device with the least amount of storage, switching out the NVMe boot drive, adding a 2TB SATA m.2, and possibly boosting the memory to 32GB. When I read the disassembly instructions....oh boy. It just seems like a possible recipe for disaster.

I've also come to prefer a convertible for just about any situation outside of my desk. I hardly use my ZC anywhere else except a desk because it's cumbersome to do so.

10. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

I Cant go back to 16:9 ratio, im spoiled from the canvas. Their is no way im ever buying another 16:9 screen. Iv owned other laptops that wernt 16:9 as well but after having the canvas, no way!