Youtube HD lags, any fix?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by johnyeah, Apr 27, 2010.

1. johnyeah

johnyeah Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey guys,

I just recently noticed that if I run Youtube videos at 1080p, the video clip shows a lot of frame skipping and lagging (even when I let the video finish downloading before playing it). I have tried clearing all cache, history, etc.

Both Chrome and Firefox lags. I don't see an option in IE 8 to set Youtube video quality (it sucks).

In addition, I noticed that the CPU is heavily utilized at 80-90% when I play the video clip, in addition, I tried both using the HD4550 and Intel HD graphics to play the video (it seems as if Youtube is not offloading the rendering work to the graphics card), with both drivers updated to the most current (Catalyst 10.3). I did try playing with the original drivers as well.

Last point, I tried running the same video with my desktop which has a Core 2 Quad 9650 and I noticed that CPU usage levels were at 35-40% as well.

I'm starting to think it's the poor offloading of work to the video card by Youtube. I'm wondering if anyone know anyway to optimize the video streaming on Youtube or other sites that utilize flash for streaming (flash is updated to the most current).

Any feedback would be helpful.
    Thanks.

*Forgot to add, the video I was trying to play was the Iron Man 2 trailer in 1080p.
    *Forgot again, my configuration is the SU9600 with HD4550.

2. Malangyar

Malangyar Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same problem running the HD Avatar trailer on YouTube, IE. I also think that the CPU is the problem, but if somebody has a solution I'd be happy to hear it.:)

3. dgitalchaos

dgitalchaos Guest

Could you please give the link to the trailer? When I run the 1080p trailer directly from youtube, it runs smooth and the processor is only at 33% with the Intel graphics in full screen. I'll try with the ATI and report back.

Here's the link to the video: YouTube - Iron Man 2 - Trailer (HD 1080p)

Make sure you select 1080p instead of 360p.

Edit: Tried it with the ATI card, still runs smooth... but the processor is at 52%. Interesting, it appears that the Intel handles HD better. I have the 10.3 ATI drivers as well.

I wonder if the problem could be with the encoding on the trailer you're trying to watch.

4. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

Install Flash 10.1 Beta.

Previous versions don't use the GPU.

Edit: Here's a direct link: Flash Beta

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. dgitalchaos

dgitalchaos Guest

That made an amazing difference when using the ATI card, processor didn't go past 20%! It didn't make much of a difference with the Intel card though, but I expected that.

Thanks Seketh.

6. johnyeah

Wow. Thanks Seketh. Here's the link to the really laggy Iron Man 2 Trailer, even with the new flash player update CPU usage is still around 45-50%, but it's smooth now with the update. Awesomeness.

YouTube - Iron Man 2 Trailer (OFFICIAL)

7. johnyeah

Oh on a side note:
    If you watch the trailer at the beginning 0:13 of the video, notice how there's no one beside Tony Stark. Then watch again at 0:22, Don Cheadle pops up.

8. Griffonetic

Griffonetic Pen Pal - Newbie

If it was near 100% while trying to play the video, it is proably just your machine.
    Or you can disable hardware acceleration in Flash player, see if it is even better.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2017