your take on the Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with S Pen

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by amired13, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amired13

amired13 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there.
    I tried searching for this specific tablet on this forum but have come up empty.
    I'm considering this Galaxy Tab A With S Pen 10.1" (2016) for taking notes in classes. I have a budget of around $350 and it fits perfectly.
    Has anyone tried it for writing only?
    I have a couple of major concerns:
    1. Screen size - is it enough to replace a notebook? isn't it too small?
    2. smooth writing - does it offer efficient palm rejection? does the pen write quickly?
    (will probably get a WACOM bamboo smart pen instead of the small S Pen for prolobged writing sessions).
    Does anyone have any other model to recommend within my needs and budget?

Thanks!

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

1. I find 8" good enough for note taking so 10" should be even better. Digital notetaking means you can expand your note taking space at any time with right apps.

2. It uses Wacom EMR. The Palm rejection is best there is, since touch and pen are separated into two distinct digitizers. I do hate the default rubber nib Samsung insists on putting into all their pens now. Kills the IAF and slows me down quite a bit when drawing/writing. But since you are getting a Wacom Bamboo for it, that shouldn't be a problem. Be aware that the Bamhoo pen might have alignment issues on the Tab A since the Tab A is calibrated for the coil location of it's super thin silo pen.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Nope, he's good. I use the Bamboo Smart Pen with my Book 10.6 all the time and there are no issues with Alignment at all despite the change in nib size.

Aman, Shogmaster and WillAdams like this.
  4. amired13

amired13 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear the palm rejection works well and the screen size is big enough.
    Today I've ordered the Bamboo Smart stylus from a local store so definitely won't use the standard S Pen.

5. jb82

jb82 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have one. Works great for annotating pdfs and taking notes.I mainly annotate pdfs. The stylus has very good accuracy and palm rejection works as it should. Fluid and there is no discernable pen lag to me. Battery seems to last forever. Got the android 7 update a few weeks ago too. The included pen is decent and it ha s a silo. I like it but I know some prefer a chunkier pen. 10.1 is a good size. You can zoom easily if needed. Screen is decent to me.

I've been a windows tablet user for years and find this tablet suits my needs perfectly instead. Got fed up of finding the perfect windows tablet especially without breaking the bank. I think this is a steal for $300. I'm not a onenote user though - I imagine a windows tablet would be better if you use that.

djas and WillAdams like this.
  6. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

$300 for a generation old tablet with 3GB RAM, 16GB Storage and an Exnos 7870 CPU is not what I would call a steal ($299 was list when new) when you can get a brand spanking new Galaxy Book 10.6" with a Core M3 CPU, 4GB RAM and the sweetest handwriting from its SPen for $374 at BB with the educational discount and possibly another $30 off if you buy it with an AMEX and you get the coupon. Plus, the GB 10.6 comes with a keyboard cover.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. thkn777

thkn777 Pen Pal - Newbie

I got one for drawing. Still, here is my take:
    #1 - screen size is A5 roughly. If you need more than a small paper notebook replacement - you need something bigger. 12+ inch feels like A4. I use A5 paper notebooks 90% of the time, so I'd say it's ok.
    #2 - depends on the app, right? Turn on "stylus only" (if available) and you're good. If there isn't such an option, it depends on how you time pen and wrist touching the screen. If the pen touches first / is recognized first, you should be ok. Without a matte screen protector there is a lot of "grip" between nib and screen, which might be an annoyance when you write for hours.

I could do a writing test and tell you the outcome. Anything I should know? (i.e. do you write big or small etc.) Also - do you just want to take handwritten notes? Or are e talking about text input with the pen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.