Your preferred note taking app?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by misterd, Jul 4, 2017.

1. misterd

misterd Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using a tablet for a decade now. I use it to give notes to my HS science class, and now that wireless is cheap and reliable, I can wander the class room and have students do work on my surface while projecting it onto the smartboard. The kids love it, and it makes classroom management much easier.

Like many of you was a devotee of Windows Journal, if only because of the lack of other viable options, and was distraught when MS stopped supporting it. Once I purchased a Surface 3, I reluctantly switched over to the Drawboard PDF app, but after getting used to it, I have found it mostly superior to WJ. However, despite my reputation at school, I am not really a computer person, and have little awareness of the other options out there. I was wondering what other annotation apps are out there that may be superior.

What do you use and why?

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

OneNote all the way, available on all platforms, comes with lots of specific tools for education, each page is an endless canvas, handwritten notes becomes searchable if notebook is saved in the cloud, students can do their homework on their phones and submit through the cloud. So many benefits.

WillAdams and nnthemperor like this.
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Kuma's spot on. I think OneNote is the no.1 recommendation you're gonna get from anyone on this forum. If you use it, remember to turn on auto sync.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

How do I use it without Microsoft Account? Purchase Office 2016 key, and hack the registry to bypass account sign in form on OneNote 2016's first launch, and voila?

5. Kumabjorn

Why would you use it without a Microsoft Account? The whole purpose of using it in a classroom environment is syncing with students. Just register a school account.

6. Starlight5

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  7. Kumabjorn

Ok, I understand better now. There are ways to circumvent that and you can encrypt all your sections. But let me get back to you later.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Starlight5

OK, I got OneNote 2016 up and running. Installed it alone from the office bundle using Office 2016 deployment tool, activated it - and voila, I can store notebooks on my SSD, without even signing to OneDrive.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Yes, yes you will. It is called local account. But you'd want that on the encrypted server your class will be accessing.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It would really be nice if we could have a wiki page somewhere to list / comment on all the note-taking options.

Unfortunately, OneNote has pretty much taken all the oxygen from pretty much everything else, but here are a few other options / names to look up:

- Jarnal
    - Xournal
    - Microsoft Journal (unfortunately discontinued)
    - Plumbago
    - Evernote
    - Write from Stylus Labs

Things which I miss:

- FutureWave SmartSketch --- this became Macromedia Flash, but kept PenPoint's notebook UI
    - PenPoint
    - various outliners --- these were prevalent esp. on the Newton MessagePad

I've pretty much given up on specialized note-taking software --- I just use normal applications and keep plain text, TeX, SVG, PDF, .FH11, and other "normal" files in a folder structure.

Starlight5 likes this.