Your package has experienced an exception (a.k.a. ARGHHHHH!!!)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Jherara, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jherara

Jherara Pen Pal - Newbie

Update on the custom Fujitsu T4215 that I ordered on December 23rd.

First, I was told it would reach me by the 8th.
    Then I was told it wouldn't ship from Osaka until the 12th b/c of New Years.
    Fujitsu kept that promise and shipped it on the 12th.

THEN came Louisville, KY and customs.

MLK B-day holiday was Monday, BUT...the package was checked for shipment, went through it's first IMPORT SCAN at 1:35 PM that day, and was approved for delivery 01/17.

Then another import scan at 2:27 PM that same day.

Then, instead of shipping Tuesday...another IMPORT SCAN at 12:01am.

Then...three separate customer service reps and the online UPS tracking system had it scheduled for delivery today.

5:30 PM...after waiting all day at home for delivery since no delivery time was provided....still no computer. I called UPS and was told that it was still stuck in customs. Checked online: two more import scans at midnight and then the below at 11:50 AM:

"THIS SHIPMENT IS WAREHOUSED UNTIL IT IS RELEASED BY CLEARING AGENCY;BROKERAGE RELEASED SHIPMENT. SHIPMENT IS SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY FOR FURTHER CLEARANCE..."

At this point I have absolutely no idea when this package is arriving. UPS said tomorrow "likely," unless more clearances are needed and then it might be Friday..."maybe." :(

As soon as I get it, I'll give you guys my review...after I take a couple of days of course to simply hold it in my hands and gaze at it in amazement, wonderment, and awe...since obviously it MUST be truly special package for the custom's officials to give it soooo much attention. ;)

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After all these delays (and interests by other parties),I just hope it lives up to the expectations it has.

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What did they do, disassemble your computer and do import scans on each piece?

4. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Eek! I hope not!

However, Jherara, fear not, as P8RSON replied, the Tablet is well worth the wait, err, how ever long that may be - but hopefully you'll receive it by tomorrow! Looking forward to your review. :)

5. Jherara

Jherara Pen Pal - Newbie

PACKAGE RECEIVED!!! Customs released it at 4:30 this morning and it arrived at 1PM.

BUT...I have a problem....so any help from you experts would be greatly appreciated:

When I opened the box the very first thing I found were labels regarding hazardous waste exposures. I already knew that lead was in some computer components (inside the box), but it appears that the power cord is made of a PVC like material that has lead mixed into it and that this is a common practice (i.e. alot of companies allow this type of lead exposure). After researching this process online, I found that handling the cord for only "10 seconds" can lead to hands testing positive for lead exposure.

There's also mention of mercury in the screen (not too concerned over this as it's inside the computer) and perchlorate, which is stated as a "special handling" concern, but the box doesn't say what part of the computer has this and perchlorate can cause thyroid problems as perchlorate leeches out iodine from the body.

QUESTION(S): does anyone know where the "perchlorate" is (computer, packaging, et cetera)? Also, does anyone have any recommendations on an alternative cord or a way to reduce lead exposure?

Background: I bought this computer so that I can work from home. Working from home has become a necessity as I have severe allergies that unchecked for many years led to severe auto-immune issues that resulted in my being unable to work around a lot of people (i.e. perfumes, hairsprays, colognes, shampoo scents, in-building toxins...all cause me to become ill). My immune system is extremely sensitive and bottomed out - any exposure to toxins could put me in the hospital, destroy over a half of year's work to rebuild my health, and could destroy what little I have to fight with.

Anyone have any recommendations? I know that in-home toxins are as dangerous if not worse than many other toxins. I've worked extremely hard to reduce these exposures. I have to use this machine no matter the risks to run my business, but want to reduce these risks as much as possible...so again, if anyone has any ideas...would love to hear them.

Thanks!

6. P8RSON

This is not an issue I have ever seen or come across Jherara.
    Whilst I can understand your fears and concerns, I would have thought manufacturers would have taken all health & safety measures to counteract any possible injuries.
    It only takes one mistake by a manufacturer and we would be talking millions in damages.

Neither do I feel that simply publishing a leaflet stating a part of the appliance is subject to hazardous waste exposures is enough explanation to clear them of any blame.
    Therefore, again, I doubt the levels we talk of are at what one would describe a health risk to certain users of the tablet.

However, for complete satisfaction, if I were you Jherara, I would contact Fujitsu explaining your condition and asking them for a complete breakdown.
    Explaining your condition and how it may effect your health should be enough for it to be passed to a molecular engineer for breakdown of component issues I would have hoped.

7. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've heard of people with extreme allergies. We had a lady in the office for a bit that was like this. She eventually had to leave...it was too bad because she was pretty good at her job.

To be pragmatic, I suppose I'd wear some rubber gloves while setting up the system ( if you're that sensitive to things, I imagine you'd have gloves all over the place ). I'd take P8's advice and call Fujitsu, but expect the typical call centre monkey will have to pass the call around a bit.

I googled your situation and didn't find much, but I learned that lead is added to the PVC in power cords to make them more flexible. Interesting.

Good luck.

8. Jherara

Jherara Pen Pal - Newbie

First, I forgot to answer the "question" earlier about the "Customs" Import Scans. *LOL* It did seem like they scanned every piece, didn't it???*LOL* But it appears that the Louisville, KY Import area is just incredibly guilty of "holding on" to imports. If you websearch Import Scan and Louisville, KY, you'll find a Lenovo forum website from last year where Lenovo buyers had to go through even worse (i.e. 3 and 4 week waits AFTER their machines entered the country). Computer companies have their own staff on hand in Louisville with paperwork to help get imports to pass through the border...if the paperwork doesn't match up the item boxed...the item gets shelved.

As for the rest: thanks for the advice guys! :) It was much appreciated :)

Alphaswift: Although I just started my new "lifestyle" in November, I do have gloves and I used them to remove the tablet from the packing just to be safe. Thankfully though I'm not so far along that I have to wear gloves all of the time or have them all over the house to deal with my allergies. I primarily have to watch "long-term" overload exposures, in-home air quality, food quality and outside exposure to perfumes, pollutants, and sick people.

Which means...with all of the changes that I've had to make in such a short time, Pres. Bush would have to order the troops in Iraq home, admit that the US needs to sign Kyoto, and wear more relaxed clothing BEFORE I would ever start wearing gloves fulltime to handle my beautiful new tablet. Egads, that would be a nightmare--especially trying to type. Though...it's interesting to note that PC components are now listed as a major factor contributing to "sick building syndrome."

Essentially, I was sorry to hear about the lady at your job, but I'm not surprised. As my symptoms progressed I began reacting to allergens/chemicals almost every day and I was at risk for losing my job b/c of all of the sick time used. AND...I was good at my job....really good...but my former employer had plenty of outside potentials who could work cheaply onsite rather than spend extra money trying to set up my security clearances for me from home...so I resigned and I'm now starting my own business. There are a lot of people out there going through this problem - especially the sick building syndrome. Doctors think it is the result of an "overload" on the body's immune system in confined environments (i.e. not just one allergen or toxin, but many over time doing damage...then irritants or trigger allergies bottom everything else out). So, you have all of the plastics, toner, toxins in computer components, poor air circulation, et cetera in office buildings that typically aren't HEPA filtered and this causes certain at risk people to get sick.

P8RSON...as for whether toxicity can occur from exterior computer components or whether manufacturers know??...it can and they do.

I called Fujitsu and the California Toxic Waste people (since their name's on the warning label). The Fujitsu guy who called me back this evening first said that he had no idea what I was talking about, then stated that the perchlorate is "probably" not in the packing material, but in the battery and/or screen. He stated that under no circumstances should anyone handle a damaged battery or screen without wearing gloves and a mask. I'm still waiting for the Cali people to call me back, but I was told by my state's toxic waste disposal people that the computer should have come with a "safe handling" sheet given the warnings. No sheet was included.

With my former employer I handled production concerns through all phases: from sales, marketing, manufacturering, vendors, et cetera and this isn't the first time I've seen this type of warning under consideration, no safe handling sheets provided to customers, or that a company might "runaround" the topic b/c of a wish to not lose sales. Typically, once a warning's given, if a customer asks for "details" about a product's "safety" (this goes for almost any product on the market, including food), the company will hit the customer with the word "proprietary," state over the phone, but not in writing that there's "nothing to worry about," send a formal letter stating that they can't "say for certain that said product doesn't containt (fill in the blank), runaround until the customer gives up, or refer the customer to the web to do their "own search."

I've already decided that unless I hear otherwise or until I hear something from those I called, I'm just going to tape the cords so that very little of the exterior is exposed to open air/my hands with use and not use the AC adaptor and accessory cords anywhere in my kitchen or near open air vents. The big problem with lead is long term skin absorption (which is why the label states to wash the hands after touching the cords), inhalation, and/or food/water contamination. Even a small amount of lead can get absorbed and stay in the body's major organs for years after exposure. As for the perchlorate...I did some more research and the safe handling concerns have mainly to do with water contamination and disposal of any perchlorate/organic mixed products that break down into the soil...and from rocket fuel. I couldn't find any information on perchlorate being used to make computer housings or computer parts, so...I'm not going to worry too much about that one for now.

Now...as for the new Tablet: WOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!

OMG. What can I say? This thing is absolutely beautiful.

1. Silver and black exterior matches my overall home decor :)
    2. Tried a CD and the speakers: sound wasn't Bose, but it definitely fit the bill for what I was looking for.
    3. Tablet mode: no words. Absolutely none. :) Ok..a few: hinge works beautifully, the locking mechanism is also interesting though I need to get used to flicking the lock into place. I love the fact that One Note automatically switched from horizontal view to vertical when I switched to Tablet mode.
    4. One Note...I got the 2003 model with it and it's all that and a bag of chips. I've heard that the 2007 One Note has even better hand recognition ability, but for what I needed this suits just fine.

That's all for now...when I have more time and after more usage I'll give a better review.

9. P8RSON

Well I'm chuffed to bits your at least enjoying the tablet... but then again I knew you would.:)

as to the health issues... please do keep us posted on any developments or if you have any information that may help anyone in the future.
    You just never know who may at one day need to know of something similar.

10. Jherara

Jherara Pen Pal - Newbie

UPDATE: Turloch Long, a tech rep at Fujitsu called left a vm Friday morning that the perchlorate is only in the batteries. He also stated that he was told that the lead was "in" the cables.

I called Fujitsu again and advised Lori, another tech rep of the situation and of my concerns b/c of the warning on both the box and in the user guide informing users of lead "on the exterior" of the cables and she researched this further yesterday.

Received a message last night on vm from her that the warning is legitimate, care should be taken when handling the cables, and that no other non-lead cables are available.
    So....WARNING: anyone with the T4210 or T4215 should wash their hands after using the ACCESSORY and BATTERY cables as these cables were constructed with lead and there is a risk of lead absorption or, if you eat after handling these cables and do not wash your hands, consumption of lead.

I'm heading to Lowe's to see if I can find some electrical tape or something to wrap around them.

Other pro's and con's of 4215:

Pro:

MOBILITY. After years of having a desktop PC...I'm really enjoying the fact that I can just pick this thing up and go.

Con:

Microphone doesn't work as well as my Telex at picking up noises, but I'm still tweaking that.

Couple quick questions:

1. Anyone know if Microsoft Office 2007 can be used with Tablet PC XP? I've ordered my Vista disk from Fujistu and will be ordering my Microsoft for the Express Upgrade, BUT...I'm still not enthusiastic about switching OS yet.
    2. Has anyone upgraded to Vista on T4215 and, if so, any major issues with the switch on the T4215?

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.