Your dream Tablet PC: What do you like to have next year?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by GraysonPeddie, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GraysonPeddie

GraysonPeddie Pen Pal - Newbie

For me, I'd like to have one of the following features:

• 10" matte screen
    • A 720p webcam
    • AMD Ontario-based "CPU-/GPU-in-a-chip" processor
    • 2GB of RAM
    • Thin bezel around the screen
    • Capacitive Touch Screen for multi-touch support
    • Windows 7 Home Premium
    • SIM Card Tray (inside the tablet and not from the side) with HSPA+ support (for use with T-Mobile WebConnect)
    • A keyboard dock sold separately (mousepad not needed)
    • 802.11n
    • 64GB Solid State Drive
    • Headphone and microphone jack
    • 2 USB ports
    • A vibrator that vibrates when my softphone is ringing
    • GPS
    • Kickstand
    • 3-Axis Accelerometer
    • Light Sensor
    • Pixel Qi Screen
    • One Internal USB Port
    • 5+ hours of battery life (I'd probably won't expect to have more than 6 or 7 hours of battery life but with Pixel Qi used when LCD backlighting is off, this could extend my battery life when used in classrooms or outdoors.

Sure, that's a lot of features that I could ask for, but do you think a slate-only tablet PC will be in the ballpark of $1,250 or higher? I can only dream about having a perfect tablet with all the features I want, but I could accept just a few compromises. :)

I'd like to have my own dream tablet PC that allows me to make and receive phone calls over T-Mobile HSPA+ network, surf the Internet, check e-mail with Outlook 2007 or 2010, use instant messaging, create my own multitouch-based games that use GPU portion of AMD's Ontario-based processor, watch some videos, make use of Windows 7's multi-touch capabilities, and make use of an internal USB port, which could allow me to plug in an 8GB flash drive, install MythBuntu 11.04 and watch high-definition television in live TV mode or when I watch a recorded TV show (yes, the backend portion of MythTV is installed in my Ubuntu Server). :) Oh, and Live365 (or your favorite radio tuning software for listening to Internet radio streams) over 3G network is cool! :)

So, if you'd like to have your own dream tablet PC next year or two years from now (hmm... wouldn't be too early to think about it?), what features would you like to have?

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Any tabletpc is merely an oversized smartphone unless it has a Wacom digitizer.

Other things I'd like are a 1080p resolution screen or better that's 5-7". A slate with a good thumb keyboard. Of course this requires some type of touch input. LED backlighting or a screen that requires no backlighting to be seen under full sunlight. 12+ hours of battery life. Less than 1.5 pounds. No bezel. 2.5" sata hard drive. Dust seals. Passive cooling. GPS.

3. GraysonPeddie

GraysonPeddie Pen Pal - Newbie

So you'd call a Windows 7 tablet an oversized smartphone? Funny. Besides, I don't think I'll call it that way since it will not make any sense to have an earpiece built-in to a tablet.

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have my dream tablet pc already, its called a HP Tm2, it is a beast ( it can do so much more than most other tablets can't do for even twice the price)

The only things that it is missing from your list are
    -matte screen (though I prefer a glossy scree for touch screen)
    -720 p webcam (I wish I had that, I bt it would it'd eat up battery life though)
    -it has (the current version) the Intel equivalent of the AMD processor
    -It has a thicker bezel around the screen (I like the thicker bezel, it gives you something to grab it by to pick it up besides from the screen, so no accidentally activating things/ breaking the screen. it also makes it easier to hold in slate mode)
    -keyboard dock (its not needed, the Tm2 is a convertible notebook; it has a nice keyboard and track pad. when it is in slate mode it feels very solid)
    -solid state drive (you can buy a good one and put the drive that came with the Tm2 in an external case)
    -vibrator
    -GPS
    -kick stand
    -light sensor
    -Pixel Qi Screen
    -One Internal USB Port

I think that to get all of what you want will take maybe another year to become available, and a year after that before its within your price range. that would be a sweet setup if it all came in at 3 lbs with charger, be submersible, and indestructible

I can't wait for October when ubuntu 10.10 comes out, it will have a full featured touch enabled ui.:)

EDIT: sorry, didn't mean to click the thumbs down sign

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

possible dream tablet:
    - 10"-12" Mirasol display
    - x86 dual core processor
    - Windows 7
    - Wacom digitizer and Wacom touchscreen
    - slate with 10h battery life

really dream tablet:
    - 10"-12" Mirasol display
    - ARM Eagle
    - Windows 8 (because of possible ARM support ^^)
    - Wacom digitizer and Wacom touchscreen
    - slate with smartphone like battery life

6. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Just the OS doesn't make it a usable computer. Without a good input system, it hardly matters what OS it has. My old Zune could have Windows 7 and it wouldn't make it a tabletpc, not with its limited input system.

Anyway, let's go back to the most famous tablets of all times.

[​IMG]

Look, handwriting! Tablets are for writing on.

7. koao

koao tm2's great.

I think the ASUS Eee PC Tablet EP121 catches my eyes. All you need to do is slap a wacom digitizer, and bam, ASUS, you will sell that like hotcakes, because that thing is beautiful! Maybe make it in different colors. Also, if you add a GPU and a better HD, then you will beat the tm2, for sure.

8. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd want something with a design along the lines of the old Acer TravelMate C200 (sliding screen, not swivel-hinge) with a decent i5/i7, dedicated mid-range GPU at the very least (which should be much better than what the HP tm2's already packing), the latest in Hydis AFFS+ panels, and if at all possible, an Intuos4/new Cintiq 21UX-grade digitizer with compatible pens.

But I know that it isn't going to happen unless I get in the position to make one, so I'll just have to settle for either the HP tm2's cheap TN screen, lack of viewing angles and all, or put up everything else's weak sauce integrated graphics.

Ideally, though, I'd have Courier. Too bad that most definitely isn't happening.

9. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

Screw standard aspect ratios, give me an 8½ x 11" screen with paper texture and HD-esque resolution colored E-ink.

maybe 20 years or more away from that kind of technology... and then to be able to afford it, maybe longer.

10. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It might be closer than you think...if mirasol takes off. Bistable like e-ink, but color and with refresh rates fast enough for video playback.

Of course, that's a big "if", and even if it does succeed in its current incarnation, I hope you don't mind a yellow tint to the screens...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.