Your cookie policy will lose you members

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by doobiedoobiedum, Feb 28, 2020.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The "Techntarget" cookie engine throws the preferences back at me despite my turning off the two I want to turn off. Every time I turn off the cookies, the preferences tab pops up 5-10 seconds later. This post took 10 minutes to create and I am not going through this just to browse the forum every time I come here.

That's using Safari on a Mac. If I use Firefox on a Mac - the manage preferences tab doesn't even come on.

thierryb likes this.
  2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

I’ll report it. For now you’ll need to find a way to deal with it. Charles

alaskajoel and thierryb like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

FWIW, I've been seeing the same thing in mobile safari on my iPhone. I keep getting the popup asking me to acknowledge or modify settings. I tried both, but it keeps coming back. Somehow it doesn't seem to set its own cookie to remember the user preference.

thierryb likes this.
  4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Very annoying

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Could someone explain briefly why allowing TT to use cookies on us is a significant risk?

6. JoeS

Personally I don't think it's a major risk, 99% of the people allow all websites to set cookies willy nilly. Some cookies are just used to remember settings (login status etc), other cookies are used to track users across the internet. Honestly I think it's pretty difficult to fight being tracked. Doesn't stop me from trying though..

Aside from that, I'm willing to allow TPCR to track the hell out of me, just to stop that popup! :D

thierryb and lovelaptops like this.
  7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not neurotic - I just like the idea of privacy. Anyhow, two weeks ago I was on a week away with my partner in a major city and I allowed Google to track her location on her phone as we were using the map. Now, she's had the same cell-phone number for 12-13 years but when we got back I had forgotten to turn off location and her privacy settings.

Anyway, whenever she was near any place in our home town she had ever been to while in possession of that number, she suddenly started getting review requests. The one that really upset her was one pub that she had been into once, by mistake with her flatmate and this was before we met in 2005.

I'm not stupid enough to think Google / Microsoft / Apple / Facebook are not still tracking me even if I turn some settings off in Android / Windows or Mac OSX but the very least I can do is make their life a minuscule bit harder in tracking me.

4 attempts to get past the pop-up this evening using Safari. Firefox still doesn't even get past the screen going black so I don't even see the popup.

thierryb and JoeS like this.
  8. JoeS

I’m still getting this popup every other browser session. Is there a way to get rid of it for a longer time?

upload_2020-4-23_14-14-58.jpeg

9. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

upload_2020-4-27_21-29-14.png

JoeS likes this.
  10. JoeS

That's the one. Still a many times daily occurrence for me. One solution would be not to visit this site multiple times daily! :rolleyes: