You have problems with your HP tx2xxxx

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Wil, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Totti

Totti Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, i know that there are tons of threads about this tablet ... and i swear that i read almost half of them carefully.
    Anyway i left the pavilion few days ago just to favour the FSC t2010 ... which stoped yesterday, when i got the opnion, that the Thinkpad x61 is the best of everything at least :)

The big problem now is that I missed the reason why i left the tx2000er series :D
    the tablet which is in the final run against the x61 is the tx2140eg, which is roundabout 1000€ (where the x61 starts with almost 1.700€)
    Code:
    Hewlett Packard Hewlett Packard HP Pavilion tx2140eg - KM124EA
    (Webcam)/ AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Dual-Core
    TL-64 (2.20 GHz /
    2x 512 KB L2)/ 3 GB RAM/ 12,1 '/ WXGA (1280 x 800 Pixel)/
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150/ 250 GB HDD/ SATA/ DVD-SuperMulti (DL /
    LightScribe)/ WLAN 802.11n, LAN 10/100/1000, BT,
    56K/ VHP

So I'd like all of you having problems with the tx2000er serie to telll me again about them, just to be able to decide whether that is a k.o. for it for me or not.
    Main points to think about were outdoor-use and fan-heat-problems i think to remember

looking forward to help,
    thanks to all in advance!!

2. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For outdoor use, I would go with the Fujitsu. The tx gets considerably warm in the sun, and the screen is hard to read in the shade of a tree. The x61 is nice, but the screen is too dim to use in direct sunlight, even at max brightness. It's ok in the shade though, and I used mine in the car for a long time without any heat issues. Still, considering most of the interaction with a tablet occurs with the screen, I can definitely say the indoor-outdoor screen for the Fujitsu tablets (4220 and 2010) are some of the best outdoors (at least among those that are not transflective).

3. Totti

Totti Pen Pal - Newbie

th t2010 is not avaible in europe :(
    And i don't want to take the risk and extra costs of shipping it and guarantee - as things ordered in germany have at least a 2 year guarantee and you can send them back within 14 days of buying, just of you don't like them and have to get the refund.

And the mainpurpose of the tablet shouldn't be outdoor use, though it would be nice if it would be possible to it art least. Mainpurpose stays in lecture room and my room :)

4. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe you can get the Fujitsu T4220 in Germany? That also has an indoor-outdoor screen option.

I really wouldn't recommend the tx2000 screen for outdoor use, but considering the limitations in Europe, you may be stuck with an x61 or a tx2000. You may want to look into the Toshiba M700, as the outdoor photos of the screen actually look pretty good for a screen that is actually designed for indoor use. It is also a very powerful tablet with a decent price point.

5. daghead

daghead Guest

Lets see, I would have said that my pen was double clicking everything that isn't in The GIMP's interface (yea it was wierd), despite my trying to find the solution in settings.

And that for seemingly random periods of time the DVD drive wouldn't detect a contained disc, even when plugged into the power, and would ask me to insert one.

And that I've been getting this message every time I started Inkscape, and a similar, if not identical message at earlier times such as starting up the computer.
    [​IMG]

And then this message.
    [​IMG]

But restarting seems to have fixed all of these problems for now which leaves me with only two things to complain about:

After accessing the switch user screen, my computer will disconnect with any of my usb mice, forcing me to un-and-replug them in, in order to use them again.

Why can't i get the input panel icon (this thing [​IMG] ) for text fields in Firefox or GIMP or Inkscape, but can for Norton? Do I need/ is there a plugin or something to get this for anything not super supported/ made by Microsoft?

FYI, this is a 2 1/2 week old tx2110us (Circuit City).

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. r.andom

r.andom Pen Pal - Newbie

Summary of Problems I've seen people Post About from memory:
    1. Heat - Most complaints originate with the 2.4ghz processor but there are people with the TX1000 series with slower processors stating the same issue.
    2. Screen Quality (much poorer than competitors, I've seen the X61 side by side with my TX2000 and mine is garbage compared to it)
    3. Outdoor Viewing is junk.
    4. 64 Bit Vista Issues / Desire to Downgrade to XP / Etc. - Addressed in various spots in forums. It's not without pain, but possible to work with Vista or XP.
    5. Around Screen Buttons stop working, usually driver problems.
    6. Battery Size/Battery Life - 8 cell provides good battery life but is very large. 6 Cell sticks out the back an inch+ and gets shorter life, 4 cell isn't available in U.S.
    7. Out of Box Quality, either dead pixels, bad screens, keys that don't work properly, etc..
    8. Lack of inclusion of restore disks.
    9. 6150 GPU Performance - If you are a gamer don't do it (I run WoW and Second Life successfully daily, but I have installed hacked drivers).
    10. Weight becomes a issue for people wanting to use it as a true tablet and carry it around cradled in-arm most of the time. Lighter tablets might be better for folks needing that functionality.

Those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

7. daghead

daghead Guest

Somewhat near window or light source viewing is junk. My stupid self thought it was just a matter of matte or glossy and the "brightview" part is a scam. Fortunately I spend most of my time at my desk. Also the brightness changes significantly from the side to side viewing angle in portrait mode, so having stereo vision makes it difficult to focus. I guess higher-end tablets don't have this problem?

8. maroon93

maroon93 Pen Pal - Newbie

Those are the ones that I backup the most from my experiences.

I have switched between 2 different models going through a couple exchanges because of random defects: tx2114ca (TL-64 2.2 GHz processor) and tx2108ca (TL-60 2.0 GHz processor). The tx2114 definitely ran hotter than the tx2108.

For each factory fresh model I've gone through, I've found various problems/defect with quality. Here are just a few, similar to what was quoted:
    • Space bar key sometimes doesn't register (I believe this is due to a manufacturing decision where they produce some models with one type of keyboard and produce some others with a different one)
    • passive film was scratched up across the entire screen
    • release button on the display lid sometimes doesn't press in or is difficult to press in (I'm actually curious if anyone else has this issue. I can press it in if I lift the button up a little bit).

9. Totti

Totti Pen Pal - Newbie

allright, thanks a lot!

Now I just have to let this issues compete against the higher price of the x61 :)
    Or maybe again switching to another model (like 2710p or so) :D

10. Michael-P

Michael-P Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Totti,
    i live in Germany, too. I owned the Lenovo X61 with the XGA screen.Well the machine was nice, but the screen had several issues:The bezel problem you can read about in this forum and some orange spots on the screen:(
    In Tablet mode the screen did not perfectly fit on the case, which resulted in noises...
    I think you should go with the Hp 2710p... I would do the same because of several reasons:
    I do not need it as a primary computer-actually there is no gaming tablet...
    It is lightweight, compact, has a widescreen.
    The downside is, it misses the DVD player and good speakers.

Your decision should depend on your use profile.Especially you should think about the screen resolution.The x61 had only XGA which was not enough for me to be productive.Where is the reason in having all the horsepower if you can just open one window at a time....

Good luck with your decision!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.