Yogabook C930

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Kumabjorn, Sep 2, 2018.

1. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can use the e-ink side for pdf, just convert your epub/mobi/... with calibre and done (for the moment).

And for the memory, I have a 200GB microsd in there and you can hardlink that to one or more directories if you don't want to use 2 drives.

2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll grab calibre. It's been ages since I last used it. I've been reading mostly in the nook or kindle app. i purchased a lot of sheet music through google books. I also have a lot of my sheet music scanned as pdfs on a micro sd card now. I'm mostly interested in the potential of the screen as a writing pad, but reading on that side will be a fun bonus. I mostly read books at night though, so the light up side is better for now anyway.

I do have a 200gb microsd card in my primary laptop now and I'll move it over if I think I'm going to use this more often. It's been moved from machine to machine for a few years and has most of digital hoard on it. I think the reason 128+200gb card failed me before was because in the surfacebook, when you detach the screen, you lose access to the card.

3. FZelle

4. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Dear C930 owners,

Does the power button protrude at alI? In other words, can you set this computer up in portrait mode with the power button side down on the desk without it being pushed?

Thanks

5. violajack

Yes, the power button protrudes. The volume rocker is on the same side. If you want to do portrait, it would have to be with the eink on the right, lcd left.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

@FZelle @violajack
    Any updates on your use of the device? Are you finding it able to replace your daily driver? How’s adapting to the touch keyboard? Has the 4gb ram proven to be limiting at all. I’m finding myself more and more obsessed with it. Was planning on getting a SP6, but am now leaning towards this as it would be closer in form factor to my iPad.

7. FZelle

It is my daily driver from the beginning, but I have a very easy workload.
    I'm using Outlook ( >> 4GB files ),
    Chrome as browser ( but normally not that many tabs open, no idea what that would be good for ) ,
    a few UWP apps ( banking, whatsapp etc ),
    and mainly Visual Studio.
    Most of the time it is connected to an usb-c dock and a 27" monitor, keyboard and mouse.

If I'm traveling it is only used for news ( NextGen Reader ) and mail and light browsing or media consumption.

Yes, it would be better with 8GB ( could use a 1 GB ramdisk for temp ) , but in reality it is not slower then the HP I5 6200, 16GB, SATA SSD that i got from work.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. violajack

This has definitely become my daily driver. I was worried about the 4GB of RAM, but it's been okay so far. I haven't really pushed this one all the way yet though. If I loaded it up all the way, I'd have stuff going on on three different desktops. So far, the only place I've seen lag is switching desktops, so I haven't been spreading out the same way I would on my bigger laptop.

I'm good with the keyboard, but I tested it at best buy before getting one, so I knew it would work for me. I also have a BT keyboard handy that I just set on top of the eink screen if I really need to yell at someone on the internet. Honestly, I find myself reaching for the BT mouse more than the keyboard. The tiny touchpad is annoying, but since there's also a touch screen, it's not such a big deal.

I have a USB C dock/dongle, but I haven't felt the need to set it up. The only advantage would be to get a bigger screen, and I've always preferred portability to screen size, so I'm okay with the smaller screens. I generally work at the dining table while the kids do school work or play, so I don't really have a good set up to place an external monitor.

And this thing is just so ridiculously thin. Closed, it's still thinner than several tablets I've had recently, so the issue of bulk with yoga style laptops in tablet mode isn't a problem here. Flipped around in tablet mode, it really is as thin and light as a slate.

wytn, lovelaptops and nnthemperor like this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hahaha, thanks for the laugh. :thumbsup:

lovelaptops likes this.
  10. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

@FZelle @violajack Thanks both for sharing your experiences! Very tempted by this device, but trying to hold out for a sale/price drop of some sort. Have either of you tried charging the yoga book via a USB C portable battery? Curious if it's possible to at least trickle charge it.