Yogabook C930

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Kumabjorn, Sep 2, 2018.

1. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am a SW developer, am using Visual studio and chrome a lot, and I have yet to come into a situation where that matters.
    Just get used to not always have 100 pages open.

My employer gave me a hp850 with 16GB and it doesn't feel faster.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, again speaking anecdotally, it might be faster than you might expect, though of course it would depend on what apps you are using.

One thing we discovered is that the SSD in this machine is pretty quick. Launching apps and general use side by side with both my surface go with 8GB Ram and another Surface Pro 4 with an i5 and 8GB Ram, the yoga book smokes the go and hangs right with the SP4

My local BB has them in stock so I'd encourage people to try it if they can. I was more impressed after playing with it than I expected to be by reading the specs.

dproldan likes this.
  3. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, there are two interesting replies to my memory concern, and I'll definitely consider it.

Funny you mention the Surface Go, because I picked one up and it's actually really good for business travel. I happen to roll with very big Outlook PST files, and so that's the one area that memory can become a factor.

Surface Go (8 GB) handles my workload with ease, but the C930 just looks great. And as somebody forever trying to migrate to note-taking on a device (and still not finding a right fit), the C930 seems like an attractive possibility.

Being in Canada, it's not yet available here nor is our Best Buy likely to carry it (as they do not carry the same quantity of computers/builds that your best Buy does). That said, I am in the USA on business in two weeks and this may be an expensive impulse buy for me. :)

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

5. desertlap

FWIW, If the Yogabook had been available when I bought my go, I think I would have gone with the yoga book, It just has such a nice design.

Also, I'm a more casual pen user so it doesn't make a big difference to me, but the pen has a very different "feel" for lack of a better term compared to the pen with the go. I cant say objectively one's better than the other for my uses, but I know each tech has it's passionate advocates in these forums.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. yodamiked

yodamiked Pen Pal - Newbie

Had the opportunity to play around with the YogaBook C930 at BestBuy last night for a few minutes.

Impressions:
    • First of all, it's soooo thin and reminds me exactly of the previous iteration (which I briefly owned before realizing an Atom processor isn't nearly capable enough for what I need). I love the form factor and could imagine throwing it in a bag without anyone noticing.
    • The knock-on feature works, but seems somewhat slow to me. I honestly wasn't sure for half a second if I had done it right, before it popped open for me.
    • The e-reader seems VERY limited in what you can do with it, and so at this point is probably essentially just a digital keyboard for most people.
    • The screen looked great to me, but I didn't do any extensive tests to really try it out.
    • The pen performance on the main display was quite nice, with very little jitter. I could see doing some decent sketching/note taking on it. The pen itself felt quite nice as well. HOWEVER, the pen performance on the e-ink seemed a fair amount worse. There was noticeably more jitter on the e-ink screen, and of course, a noticeable delay in your strokes showing up. Again, this seems to limit the use of the e-ink screen.
    • The keyboard was actually pretty decent. I tried some touch typing and found it serviceable. I mean, I definitely made lots of mistakes, but it seemed quite a bit better than the last gen's halo keyboard. I also liked the fact that to capitalize a letter, you have to hold down the shift key, if only to more closely align the keyboard to how a normal mechanical keyboard works.
    • The trackpad seemed to work great, and it didn't even cross my mind while using it that I wasn't using a regular trackpad.
    All in all, I really liked the device and surprisingly enjoyed playing with it more than the HP Spectre Folio (which I also got to play with for a few minutes). It's pure thinness and future look won me over. Honestly, if the price was about half of what it is, I would pick one up in a heartbeat. Hard to stomach $1000 for the specs, especially with the e-ink screen being as limited as it is. Maybe a sale will come along soon....:D

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I also got a go with the new Yoga at Best Buy today. Have to concur about the thinness.....wow.....even both halfs together folded seemed thinner then most solo tablets. And I can't believe this thing actually has a Core i5 in it.....technically it its a Core m5....but still.....that is very very impressive that they could fit that in such a small frame. I do have a few concerns over its overall sustained performance/battery life/thermals.....but its impressive in any case. And with the 10-inch size....its perfect as a day/travel device.

I could only get the nearby Wacom Ink Pen to work on the e-ink side.....somewhat unfortunate it wouldn't work on the main screen. (unless that was disabled or something).......really.....if not for the $1000-ish price.....I'd almost consider getting one for the novelty.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Give it a year and wait for it on eBay boulevard.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

9. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

My local BB finally had one on display to play with. If I hadn't just dumped a wad of cash on property taxes, I would have walked out with one. Now I'm just trying to decide if I should go all in on it and order one with the bigger SSD or get the smaller one (instant gratification!) and keep everything on the giant microSD card I have. I'm sure I'll regret the 4GB of RAM, but everything else looks great. And the last time a 4GB RAM machine failed me was the chromebook plus becasue I have too many high load chrome tabs open all the time. I wonder if I shifted to use edge or use office instead of having giant sheets open if it would be okay. Then again, I'm always going back and forth between thinking some little compact thing will be just fine and then being tempted by higher spec machines just because.

The Lenovo display table didn't have any pens out, but there was a bamboo stylus in reach from the endcap display (alongside more yogas I think). Of course, it was set to ntrig mode, because Best Buy, but thanks to here I knew to just hold down the two buttons for a few seconds. That had it working nicely on the yogabook. Writing on the eInk side felt really good to me. I love the idea of having a writing pad ready to go all the time while still having the screen up. And one can always pair a BT keyboard and set it on top of the eink side for longer typing sessions. Although, I found I was able to type on the eInk keyboard error free after just a few minutes of testing. I mean, if I really want to type lots of stuff, I've got several Thinkpads with classic keyboards sitting around.

I'll just be here trying to justify it to myself while I list everything else I own on craigslist.

nnthemperor, JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  10. desertlap

FWIW, one of my coworkers has one of these and the 256GB SSD is exceptionally fast and seems to contribute to the overall snappy feel of the device.

Alas another device I lust for but can't come up with a single rational justification to buy for myself.:(

WillAdams and JoeS like this.