Yoga A940 AIO has the BEST AES 2.0 digitizer I've ever tried!

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Shogmaster, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Holy moly I didn't expect this! Having been disappointed with grid density of another AES 2.0 device which is MUCH MUCH smaller (Yogabook 2/C930), I wasn't expecting much from A940's 27" honkin' huge AES 2.0 digitizer in terms of grid density. Boy was I wrong. This thing is almost as good as UD EMR and Apple Pencil digitizers in grid density! Hardly any jitter at all!

And the parallax isn't as bad as I expected either. I say it's less noticeable than say Cintiq 21UX / 22HD. Perfectly fine, especially given that it's a Windows device with cursor.

The only real chink in the armor for me is the lack of Feel driver support for it, so you won't get the perfect Wacom Wintab pressure curve mapping and barrel button mapping. The Windows INK pen driver is great with it though. If the Feel drive comes to this thing, I WILL buy it!

crazycat, bloodycape, Marty and 2 others like this.
  2. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Any idea whether the C940 is improved over the C930?

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you ever pull the trigger on this device?

I remember a lot of talk about it at the time - was the machine just a let-down for artists across the board?

4. Shogmaster

I did. I actually went thru THREE of them. They said it was user upgradable. F'n BS. That lid is perma locked on that SOB. I gave up after 3rd unit. I'm sure Lenovo customer service didn't enjoy sending me 2 replacements I didn't end up keeping either.

5. doobiedoobiedum

THREE?

Out of interest, how was the drawing experience? How was the screen resolution at 27 inches?

I'm sure they will come down in price eventually and if it's good enough, might be worth it as a 2nd option as I doubt HP are ever going to update the zbook x2 g4...

6. Shogmaster

I loved drawing on it. Best AES experience by far. even without the pen tilt (AES 1.0 board). The size was lovely. Stretched out like a boss.

If 16GB is good enough for your needs and you can make do with the 256GB SSD, then it's fine, but I needed to get inside to up the RAM to 32GB and replace the paltry sized SSD. It was simply impossible to get inside without chewing up the steel cover that was suppose to come off easily.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  7. doobiedoobiedum

Sounds good actually, I put 16GB into my 256GB zbook and honestly can't see many of the benefits compared to my lowly 2013 4GB Macbook with 128GB SSD in a lot of comparable operations.

8. Shogmaster

Only matters if your files sizes get big enough to start paging the SSD. I had to do some illos that got stupid big (one was a printed mat 4'x6').

9. doobiedoobiedum

I don't know.... I often have similar and bigger files as we have poster design projects that we print at the local University on their large format Epson sheet printer and the Macbook never really showed that it suffered with those files. My zbook is really no better with those files despite a bigger SSD and 4x the memory.

I wonder if somehow Apple managed the SPECTRE / MELTDOWN problem better on their older Macs.

10. Shogmaster

Paging disk feels totally different than CPU choking