Yoga 920 artist reviews?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BadGrim, Dec 18, 2017.

1. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

Got impatient with switch7 so santa got me the yoga 920 and am very impressed with the pen2. Maybe I'm tripping but it seems better than the x1 yoga 2017 I recently returned(pen wise).
    I also own the wacom feel pen and will test it in the morning.
    I tested in store between the top hp (x360?) And there was discernable difference in IAF.
    Almost got the star wars one but it felt heavier.

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

Both the lenovo pen2 and bamboo pen work the same. Bamboo feels better to draw with, lenovo buttons click nicer in my opinion. Lenovo pen works with included usb pen holder where bamboo pen wont because of the better triangle shape.

Problem 1. Something I have done for years with swivel screens is to draw in bed with keyboard down on my stomach and screen faced toward me. I was able to use x1 yoga similarly, but unlike the x1 yogo these keys don’t recess and I get unwanted key presses.

Problem 2. Even with “ignore touch input when using pen” turned on in windows settings I get missing strokes when crosshatching very quickly, but only have that problem when palm is resting on screen. I used a dokiwear glove and had zero issue while wearing it. I have used autohotkey in the past to program eraser button to enable disable touch, but I’m over that workaround.

I didn’t need the glove on GB12. I’m so damn finicky! So maybe I’m stuck with EMR.

3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's a review for the 920 Yoga by Wendell from Level1tech who recently bought one after is Surface Book died due to another hinge fault. This is a nerds look at the 920 including Linux comparability.

And here's another Level1 920 video which covers setting up Windows using Chocolatey package manager.

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I've never used yoga device before but I assumed that the keys depressing to prevent unwanted keystrokes in tablet mode was integral to the Yoga design. This seems crazy to me that the 920 doesn't do such a basic thing, at the very least I would have assumed that the keys would not be able to trigger once the keyboard folded back past a certain point??
    I'm so confused, was this particular Yoga not meant to be used in tablet mode? I'm really hoping I misunderstood you, and Lenovo isn't this stupid.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The old yogas did not have retractable keys. That was introduced only a few years ago as a new feature. I am assuming the 920 is similar as a cost savings device. I believe the keys are turned off when you rotate the screen, even on the 920.

The issue, I think, is he is painting in bed with the screen turned around only part way, and “standing up”. Thus, the keys are not turned off. That’s my presumption. The yogas are meant to be fully rotated around, I think.

On my Thinkpad 14 (2.5-3 years old now) this is 100% not an issue. The keys retract and I’ve never had a key press ever.

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@stoneseeker all yoga devices have keyboard stop registering keypresses when folded past certain point, unless there's a driver issue. On most Thinkpad Yogas, keyboard frame protrudes when folded (keys do not retract on any machine, that's just what it looks like but actually the frame is protruding). It's a nice feature, however AFAIK only Lenovo implements it, all other convertibles with similar hinge design lack it - yet people are still happy with them.

I personally like Thinkpad Yoga devices with protruding keyboard frame, mostly because it makes cleaning the keyboard much easier than any other laptop - but this gimmick feature also complicates hinge design, and the keyboard frame is prone to cracks due to protruding nature, in my opinion. On the other hand, it is supposed to protect keys from breaking...

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  7. stoneseeker

ahh, that makes more sense... so it would still turn off the keys if you folded it all the way back, dv8nathan was just using it in a way that was not anticipated by Lenovo. I suppose a laptop cooler that props it up at an angle would be the best bet for drawing in bed in canvas mode with this device then. Thats what I use with my T902 or Notepro when reclining and drawing.

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

This may have been clarified but I'm not sure I heard it: the protruding frames are available only on Thinkpad Yogas, since the very first TPY 12 in 2014. It's a great feature and makes using a 360 style convertible immensely more enjoyable than those lacking such a feature - which I believe includes every such 360 product. The consumer Yogas - including the 7 and 9 series - never had protruding frames, but they did indeed deactivate functional keypresses when the screen was folded back enough to actuate this function. Sorry if this is a duplicative comment; I didn't quite see the point stated. My guess is that Lenovo has a patent or some/many competitors (HP, Dell, etc) would employ the feature. At best it feels creepy to hold a 360 device as a tablet and sense the wiggly keys; the frame lock feels solid and secure. What's also surprising to me is why Lenovo doesn't exploit what I think is their patent protection and include the frame lock feature in at least some of their consumer models; without it 360 convertibles make pretty lousy tablet substitutes IMHO, whereas with it they can be quite decent substitutes, especially if they are lightweight devices..

stoneseeker likes this.
  9. stoneseeker

Thanks for the clarification and specifics.
    It's shocking to me that not all "Yoga" branded products have that feature, I certainly would have assumed it going into the purchase of a consumer Yoga as I would think keys pressing against the surface of whatever your resting against in canvas mode would both feel weird and wear down the keys faster too.. good to know, and definitely a feature I would consider essential in deciding between the Thinkpad vs consumer Yoga's.