Yoga 920 artist reviews?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BadGrim, Dec 18, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think anybody was condemning opinions, though I can understand how aspects of the Larger Internet can put one's guard up. The folks here are quite open minded and cool, imho, but they do offer frank, front & center analysis.

Some people just don't jive with any of the technologies available and prefer to do their art with other mediums. There are plenty of folks who simply don't like under-screen digitizers and stick happily with "blind" Intuos solutions for reasons which make plenty of sense, (you aren't obstructing the artwork with your hand, for one). :)

surfaceproartist and Starlight5 like this.
  2. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

I have decided to go for the yoga 920, the star wars edition with 16gb ram and 512 SSD. And return the unopened surface.

thatcomicsguy and stoneseeker like this.
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Look forward to hearing what you think of AES pen tech.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Let me put it another way then.... what Digitial Drawing tools have you used in the past that you liked to use? There aren’t exactly a wealth of options as far as pen technologies for digital drawing.

Wacom EMR, Wacom AES, N-Trig/MPP, and the Apple Pencil being like the top main 4 Pen based Systems. If you’re starting out in digitial drawing.....it’s usually one of those 4 you gonna start out with. You didn’t like EMR, N-Trig wasn’t to your liking, AES is very similar to N-trig, and the Apple Pencil was too limited by its mobile OS. Even Cintiqs which fall under EMR...still have parallax and edge issues. And other pen brands like Yinova are just reversed engineered approximations of Wacoms tech, and most Bluetooth based pens, and Synaptic and Atmel Pens are utter crap in comparison to the top aforementioned main 4. So when you knock down those 4 main front line options......the same options virtually every digitial artist had to use....making the assumption that digitial art isn’t for you is a logical one. I know plenty of traditional artists who can’t or don’t like digitial art at all, and there is nothing wrong with that, It’s just another medium. If all the current pen technologies for digital drawing aren’t to your liking, then obviously digitial drawing currently won’t be to your liking.

5. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

I have used sketchbook and zbrush for several years. PS lightly, I used it more for working game textures and 3d models textures. I am no noob to digital art tools. I had a short time where I freelanced game assests. But I have not done any artwork to speak of in the past 5 years. And I do not frequent here, so I was looking to know what's the most recent products that are worth it. During that time, I have bought plenty of surface products and tried earlier versions of n-trig. The last serious art machine I had was from motion computing. Wacom was great on that product but a pain to keep calibrated and such. I started drawing again when I got an iPad pro 12, and then when sized to the 10.5. works amazingly but limited. My passion right now is comic art and I will probably get back into zbrush. All I can say is that I'm finicky about pen input. I just want it to draw where I place the tip only and not need to press the pen through the screen to register a line. Lol.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Fair requirements. :)

I Also look forward to hearing how the Wacom AES feels to you, especially in contrast to your previous experience with N-trig.

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd love to try out Lenovo's latest gear; I'm very much a "Give me what works best" sort, but that watchband hinge is from a style sense, super-pretty. If it works well also, then.., Aces! If you do get a chance, I'm sure many folks here would be interested in reading about your experiences with the 920.

If you discover that Wacom's AES doesn't perform well for you, (I had a love/hate relationship with an early implementation of it on a Dell Inspiron 15.6"), then I can heartily recommend the recent Samsung line of drawing machines, (using Wacom's EMR). -Calibration has been spot-on out of the box, and the edge accuracy problem is basically a thing of the past.

Best wishes with your new system! Happy arting!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I would have gone for that or the galaxy book from the beginning. Honestly considering his past experiences I can't see how the wacom aes of the yoga 920 could be any better than those experiences.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

I can say "me too" here. I've had tabletpcs for a fair few years and it amazes me humans can put a robot vehicle onto a predefined spot on Mars or even a fast moving asteroid going at a million miles an hour but accurate pen calibration for a drawing computer is still largely a best guess and having to live with known inaccuracies.

It's asking a lot to spend hard earned cash on a device that may not give us the accuracy we need as artists. This isn't just about drawing - many apps have lots of tiny buttons and the simple task of hitting the right on screen button you want to apply is a simple requirement. zBrush is a nightmare on my older tabletpcs...

I'm becoming convinced, I've been off the forum a couple of years and still reading around to find out where pen accuracy is and I just need to find a retailer selling a samsung EMR device near me so I can finally try things out.
    So far my only test has been an Apple iPad pro - I have a MacBook I could pair it using Astropad with but I'm still wary. I would really like a 15inch or larger screen basically - and accuracy.

10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member