Yoga 920 artist reviews?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BadGrim, Dec 18, 2017.

1. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

Any yoga 920 artist reviews? I searched but didn't come up with anything.
    I'm trying to decide between the 920 and surface pro i5 2017 version.
    More interested in pen spent of the devices.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Surfaceproartist did a review and touches briefly on the stylus performance.

I'd like to get my hands on one at some point to see from my own perspective if AES has improved with the Active Pen 2. It sounds from afar that AES is indeed being refined. From the Surface Book 2 thread, it appears that wearing a glove can reduce jitter to manageable levels, if not resolve it entirely.

But it would have to pass the Mark Oakley test; I'm the most sqinty-eyed and critical damned judge of digitizer line quality, probably on the entire web, I'm starting to think.

My Samsung Notebook 9 Pro is pretty much the top of the top, but even it doesn't get full marks from me: My old Tecra M4 still output better line quality, -though required a much higher IAF. I really like the feather touch of the N9P, but miss the 9.8/10 digitizer reliability of the old Penabled system and its simple-but-effective drivers.

At present, the Samsung gets an 8.5/10. -Though, to be fair, that's on my particular unit. Other people don't seem to have the weird driver issues I was noticing under WinTab, (where I was getting these odd delay/input dropouts every half second or so, which resulted in bumps in curved lines when they are drawn quickly). So I use the TabletPC driver instead, which doesn't have this problem, but which instead results in "micro-jitter" when doing tiny line details. -Like if you're drawing a mouth or eye lashes while zoomed out, they go 'crunchy', where Wintab can do them perfectly. So between two flawed drivers, you get a whole digitizer. But that's lame..! My old Tecra wasn't limited in this way. If I can get this worked out, then my estimation of the N9P will immediately jump to full marks. So close..!

My Dell Inspiron 7568 scored a '6' from me, (or thereabouts), and the original Surface Book was a tooth gritting 4/10. -At least the one I tried out under less-than-ideal conditions with only showroom demo art software, so it might not have been all that bad if I'd gotten it home with driver updates and better software and such. It's been probably more than a year since I got to try it out, so there have probably been improvements, but boy, it had a rocky start!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have not reviewed the 920, only the 720. AES on that model is improved over the Dell 7568, so my guess is that it would rate a 7 on the Mark Oatley scale.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the detailed response.
    I purchased a surface pro 2017 i5 model last week. Still haven't opened it. Mainly because I have owned almost every surface pro product and have always been disappointed by the pen and drawing or battery. I have owned surface pro 1, 2, and 3, and the first gen surface book pro. I was never happy with my drawing experience. I thinking I should stop repeating my same failures and go with the yoga 920, but really wanted to know about the drawing experience first. I have tried the models at best buy only to be bothered every 30 sec by sales people. So my experience is distracted to say the least. Lol

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You didn’t like the SP 1 and 2 either? Maybe digital drawing isn’t for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkmagistric and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, the early Surface Pros used the old Wacom EMR digitizers, so they should have been pretty nice.

I did find, even with the best implementations of the technology that it took some getting used to. The fact that the cursor always trailed was weird, the squishy zones around the edges and the nib/cursor offset due to lens thickness, and the lack of tactile friction feedback and the things it means on paper, (you can use haptics to know what a real pencil or pen line is going to do), all contributed to a, "Whoa, this is not the same as paper!" feeling.

But after getting used to the inherent differentness of the medium, it became second nature. That only took a few days of mucking around.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I could understand not liking the Pro 3 and up drawing experience.....but the Pro 1 & 2 used older EMR Tech that's quite different from the N-trig feel of the Pro 3. Well...in anycase....the Yoga and most windows pens you'll find at Best Buy are either MPP(Same as Pro 3) or AES which is pretty much the same thing.

Have you tried the Samsung Galaxy Book or the 13/15 Notebook 9 Pros? They use EMR tech much like the Surface Pro 1 & 2.....but in my opinion its been greatly refined since the Pro 1 & 2 days which used an earlier stock of digitizer and a completely different nib assembly. Where as you didn't like the Pro 1 & 2.....the Galaxy Books might be more to your liking.

If that doesn't do it for you.....try the Apple Pencil? If even that doesn't do it for you....I'd have to agree that Digital drawing just maybe isn't for you.

8. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

ok - I guess I should have explained why I didnt like SP 1 or 2. I mean, I thought i could have my own opinion, I guess not. lol
    SP 1 and 2, I didn't like the parallax or the fact the cursor was difficult to calibrate. especially when going to the edges, you all know what I mean.
    Do not make assumptions that I shouldn't bother with digital drawing based on my own opinion. I'm listening to your opinion on what might be the best experience, right?

Original question was about if any artist have thoughts or their own opinions, for which I will listen to with an open mind, about the yoga 920, or more specifically Wacom AES tech with 'Active pen 2'

Apple Pencil is good, but I want to use Photoshop, zbrush etc. and I don't like Astropad, tried it

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

If specifically the things that bothered you with the SP1 and 2 was the cursor offset, calibration and parallax, then maybe you would prefer the feel of Wacom AES. It has disadvantages to EMR like immediacy of response time, subtle cursor lag and jittery slow diagonals, but it's advantage is cursor is often more exactly lined up with your pen tip easier, and far less issues with screen edge drift. I think people here are just surprised you disliked EMR, since it is generally considered to be the best experience in digital drawing, and Microsoft did a good job implementing their digitizers compared to some other manufacturers at the time. Today's EMR tablet implementations are even closer to a true Cintiq then ever before, now that they have enabled tilt and a wider range of pressure sensitivity.

Sorry I have no experience with the new Yoga 920 specifically.

Have you asked around in the Lenovo sub forum yet?

10. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the feedback.
    I'm pretty intune with the differences in aes and emr. I do appreciate the overview though.
    Anyone care to give their opinion on if they like the sp2017 and new pen combo? Which I know is basically ntrig.