Yiynova is looking kind of. . , awesome.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thatcomicsguy, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I just watched through several YouTube videos of Yiynova products.

I'm finding myself increasingly impressed with their gear. The most popular product seems to be their 19" Cintiq clone. Resolution is 1440 x 900, and there appears to be no functional difference in pen response between these devices and the Wacom line. They look like they work really well and the users report no difference, other than the fact that Yiynova offers no tilt sensitivity. But at only $500 for the 19" Yiynova compared to $2000 and change for a 21" Cintiq. . ? I'm not sure tilt sensitivity and two extra inches is worth $1500.

Also. . , I kinda like their all-in-one monsters, screens combined with a computer which make for a portable easel, (though nobody has posted anything about those on YouTube). Their 19" version is a tad more powerful than my Tecra M4, which by today's standards isn't saying much, but since the M4 already meets my needs nicely it's not really a problem.

Of course, the machine has no battery and no keyboard, so it's not in the same category at all as a Tablet PC, and it is certainly heavy enough to make you think twice about hauling it with you, but compared to any Cintiq product, it is far superior in terms of portability. I could easily see myself putting one in an art bag when heading off to a life drawing class, or to work a comics show or what have you.

Anyway, I'm really glad to see some competition with real muscle and strong growth potential.

The biggest problem in my opinion is that Amazon appears to be the only place where a Westerner can get one of Yiynova's machines, and they only carry a couple of them at that. Several interesting devices are nigh impossible to get in the West.

Though Yiynova seems to be a company on the move. I expect greater market penetration as time goes on and popular use increases.

I think Wacom had better hurry up with their new product aspirations if they don't want to find themselves losing market share. Yiynova isn't just in a position to scoop up the broke artists (who wouldn't be able to buy a Cintiq anyway, thus representing no lost sales for Wacom). --Yiynova has a 24" system listed on their site which doesn't appear to be available yet, but which I bet will cost less than Cintiq's new 24" flagship. Even an established graphics house with a big budget may find themselves seriously considering which vendor to buy from when the technical differences between Wacom and Yiynova are negligible but the price is very much not.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  2. Waleis

Waleis Pen Pal - Newbie

I only recently stumbled onto Yiynova on Amazon just yesterday and am rather excited about the possibility of an affordable alternative to the Cintiq models. There were few reviews that I could dig up, but for the most part, the negatives that I encountered were dominantly chalked up to errors in personal settings and the like. I have yet to check out the YouTube vids, but will be doing so shortly. I only just registered to this site after researching Wacom alternatives and feel very fortunate to have found such an incredible forum so full of insight and information. I digress...
    I agree that there could be some much-needed competition for Wacom if these products are as great as they appear thus far. I am a broke artist with no current investment in Wacom other than daydreams and wishlists, so I am quite excited to see comparable quality in such a large package. 19" at only $500 is really worth looking into. The 10.1" wasn't nearly as thrilling to me, but still, quite a savings in regards to the initial investment amount. I think it was $300 for that model. I've little experience with graphics tablets of any sort, let alone a lcd display that I can draw directly onto, but I am desparately looking into letting go some of my musical gear just to have the "extra" income to get my hands on one.

3. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

Can anyone comment on the purpose of the mode switch? According to the user manual, it switches between monitor mode and digitizer mode. I would think that the monitor is always on, so that this effectively turns the digitizer on and off.

Thanks in advance.

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That would be where in one mode it can act as a cintiq where you put your pen to the screen and it draws directly under it; and in the other mode it should just act like a Wacom Bamboo/ Intuos where there is no screen displaying a cursor under the pen, and instead it moves a cursor on another screen [just like the bamboo/ Intuos -the reason you would want to do that is it can be far more ergonomic if you have the screen set-up well, compared to hunching over the screen of the yiynova; but it isn't easy to get used to]
    EDIT: so it would keep the screen powered as another screen, but the digitizer would act like a bamboo/ intuos on the main monitor you have

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

It is like Wacom's "toggle display" .

I set one of my pen buttons to "toggle display" and use it about an average of 10-20 times in a minute while animating a scene. Reason being, I have all the menus and timeline off to the left on my large normal monitor, and the cintiq with just the "stage/drawing" area. So when I am drawing or moving stuff on the stage, I toggle display to cintiq. If I need to scrub the timeline or something, I look left and click toggle display again without even thinking anymore and I am using my cintiq like an old intuos graphics tabelt for that split second before I am back at the cintiq. THe monitor does not switch off it simply moves the cursor and mapping between the screens.

6. gerg

I have since acquired the Yiynova DP10HD. The mode switch actually turns off the Yiynova DisplayLink controller and screen. This causes the PC to refresh all the displays, and takes several seconds. Turning the mode switch back reverses the process. You basically cannot do any work while this is occurring.

My setup is a laptop driving it's own screen and one external monitor directly, plus a third via another DisplayLink USB device. The Yiynova does not play well with the other DisplayLink monitor enabled. The display works, but the pen input is badly offset and sometimes not visible, and pen calibration always displays on the other DisplayLink monitor. I guess that the Waltop driver is using the first DisplayLink device it finds instead of looking specifically for the Yiynova.

I also frequently find that the pen digitizer device is not active when booting the system. Most of the time, disconnecting and reconnecting both USB connectors of the Yiynova fixes this, and sometimes a reboot is required.

Hopefully these are software issues that can be addressed. I am otherwise very pleased with the purchase.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

hmmm, yeah thats a game changer for me.
    Without a functional display toggle I wouldn't be able to use it.

How is sensitivity and accuracy when drawing?

8. gerg

Sorry for rambling, this is turning out to be a post of my impressions of the device.

I am not an artist so my observations may not be very, um, insightful? The sensitivity seems good, but sometimes it requires more pressure than others and this seems to be the driver again. Reboot and it is better. I like the lightest touch of the pen to make a mark, sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. It is immediately obvious when this has happened, but there is no difference shown in the Tip Feel setting of the tablet driver. The most consistent results come when I boot my laptop without the tablet connected, and then plug it in.

I should note that I am not using the included drivers; instead, I downloaded newer drivers (4.14) from Waltop. More experimentation may be required.

Accuracy, when calibrated, seems very good to me. I almost think it is better than the Wacom on my Asus EP-121. Perhaps the additional calibration point helps. The Yiynova has better accuracy at the screen edges compared to the Wacom. There is more jitter, however, and that is most evident when drawing slowly. Faster strokes look better.

I have the following software installed: RitePen, OneNote 2010, Gimp 2.8, Paint.NET 3.5.10, MyPaint 1.0, Inkscape 0.48, and SmoothDraw 3.2.11. The tablet works with all of these. SmoothDraw works well, but only with its tablet Compatibility mode set. MyPaint is my absolute favorite as the brushes produce very smooth lines, among other reasons; it is a cool program. Gimp, Paint.NET and Inkscape have not gotten much use yet; Gimp is next on my list, I see it has the ability to smooth strokes and much more, but the learning curve is steeper.

The main reason I purchased this tablet is for inking in OneNote and for software development presentations using RitePen (a product which Evernote has unfortunately withdrawn from the market), and it does what I need it to do. The portability is excellent, and any art playing I get to do is a bonus.

Hopefully some feedback to The Panda City will bring about some improvements in the software area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.