Yiynova 22" available this Friday.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thatcomicsguy, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. gmang

gmang Pen Pal - Newbie

Ye, the forced mirroring is bad. I guess they'll allow using as expanded desktop with some driver update, but I wouldn't buy until then.

EDIT: On your upgraded 22u. I don't understand the pens thing well. The yiynova 22u came with a new pen compared to the 19u. You now talk about old and new pens. The old one is the 19u one? No, right? Is there an even newer one?

3. RaphK

RaphK Pen Pal - Newbie

For whatever reason (probably by mistake) the box included one of the new, black pens for the 22U, and one of the older black-and-gray pens like the one with the 19U.

That said, according to Frenden (here: FRENDEN • Review Update: Yiynova's Revised MVP22UHD v2), the action on the new black pen was adjusted to fix the fact that it required too much pressure to go all the way to 2048. I no longer have the v1 black pen to do a back to back comparison, but that matches up with my impressions. The pressure curve is indeed great and it is much easier to get to 2048 now.

Of the three I have:

Original 19U pen: Getting to 2048 requires pressing pretty hard.
    v1 22U pen: I don't have it anymore, but I had to press hard though not as hard as the 19U pen. It felt "stiffer" across the board.
    New 19U style pen: Don't have to press as hard as the original. More sensitive to light strokes -- easier to make light lines with.
    V2 22U pen: best of the lot. Sensitive to light strokes, and I don't have to press anywhere near as hard to reach 2048.

Now, this is of course ALSO paired with the new firmware in the tablet itself. The reduced jitter and improved tracking likely makes a difference here too.

Hope that helps.

4. gmang

gmang Pen Pal - Newbie

It did, thanks.

5. TungInCheek

TungInCheek Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey RaphK. Thanks for those photos; especially the first one with the Penny Arcade drawing.
    Does that drawing look any better on your revised 22" ? Could you post a photo of it?

EDIT: Woops, I had quoted the wrong post. Fixed it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  6. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

7. RaphK

RaphK Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for not having posted photos yet.

In short: I am happy with it given it is not my main monitor. Drawing on it is great, though it lacks tilt (which I have never used on a Wacom anyway). It still has some font rendering issues, and they appear to have to do with subpixel rendering specifically. It might be the VGA cable, might not. I have talked with Panda City about it, and we continue to trade emails.

TungInCheek likes this.
  8. TungInCheek

TungInCheek Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, I see.
    You mentioned font rendering... so are curves (like in Penny Arcade comics) still affected? I guess so, since you mentioned it's prob. an issue with subpixel rendering.

Thanks for all your posts!

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

10. RaphK

RaphK Pen Pal - Newbie

@Tungincheek, I don't even know which comic it was at this point. So I'd probably need to put together a new test case from scratch. I would note that PS doesn't always even use subpixel rendering for fonts (it's an option they just recently added), and I am pretty sure it doesn't at all for lines.

@surfaceproartist, nice review. I had better luck with MacType than the ClearType Tuner: mactype - Ultimate font Rasterizer for Windows - Google Project Hosting

It is far more configurable (you have to dig a bit to find the settings). I still don't have it dialed in perfectly. I plan to send macro shots to Yiynova so they can see what we are all talking about.

I use mine mirroring my main monitor, which is also a 22 inch 1920x1080. But I love the idea of using touch on a Win 8 tablet to do things like pan and rotate!

The buttons are VERY configurable, by the way, even down to running batch files if you want.

surfaceproartist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.