Yiynova 22" available this Friday.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thatcomicsguy, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaphK

RaphK Pen Pal - Newbie

The Yiynova 22 does have bezel buttons (the 19U does not). They are fairly programmable.

2. RaphK

RaphK Pen Pal - Newbie

So Yiynova told me that I could send the v1 monitor back to them and they would do the firmware upgrade on it. I need to use the monitor in the short term, so I haven't sent it yet.

3. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

So the V2 version on Amazon is supposed to be the one with better font display?

4. RaphK

RaphK Pen Pal - Newbie

Not exactly. The V2 in itself is

- the IPS screen
    - improved pen sensitivity
    - better tracking for slow lines

On top of that, though, they found a firmware bug related to the font stuff (I believe that some of the diagnostic info I sent helped them with that -- I found glitches in the OSD and some other things, after I posted the above screenshots).

So, they got in the new firmware about three weeks ago. New machines sold presumably have the new firmware. The firmware applies to v1 AND v2. They offer to upgrade the firmware on the older machines, but it involves shipping it back to them.

I am getting a v2 with the new firmware tomorrow (I sent them back my v1 and paid the difference), and will post with a fresh round of screenshots so you can compare the font rendering.

thatcomicsguy and stoneseeker like this.
  5. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

6. RaphK

RaphK Pen Pal - Newbie

My desktop is set up with three monitors. Basically, it's a dual monitor desktop, and the tablet is a mirror of one of the two monitors. That way I can move back and forth between tablet work and mouse work (and standing and sitting) by just turning my chair.

It works fine in Pencil2D. I have never used the software before, but I was able to get pressure going with the pen, pencil, and airbrush with no problem. The pressure curve might be a bit tricky to manage with really large brushes, but I have mine set to maximum sensitivity, so that might be the issue.

It was a fail in FireAlpaca. The position of the cursor versus the pen was off by half a screen, and lines had random horizontal jumps in them of up to an inch.

Works great in Manga Studio or Photoshop.

7. RaphK

RaphK Pen Pal - Newbie

Correction! If you go into File->Environment Setting and set "Brush Coordinate" to "Use Mouse Coordinate" instead of "Use Tablet Coordinate (recommended)" both the line and the offset are fixed. So it seems like it does work in FireAlpaca.

8. greenblob

greenblob Pen Pal - Newbie

9. RaphK

RaphK Pen Pal - Newbie

No photos, but some quick notes:

- the IPS panel is MUCH better than the TN panel was. It passed every test in the lagom.nl suite, except for sharpness, and for flicker on two frames in the pixel-walk test (my other monitors flicker on only one). It was patterns 3 and 7b, for the curious.

- it is still oversharp, and there is still no sharpness adjustment. See the note on phase below.

- the new firmware and how it hints font rendering does seem improved. It is still not on par with the other screens I have, however. I can get it damn close by tweaking the phase setting. I chalk this up to the VGA connector. I get out-of-phase flickers when below 30 and above 80. Autoadjust sets phase to 60. Aliasing looks better at 79 than at 60.

- color reproduction is good across the entire panel. I saw a slight reddening in the full screen purple, in the bottom left, but it is very subtle. On par with my other monitors.

- it was pretty close to dead on for gamma out of the box.

- low parallax, compared to the 19U!

- calibration was pretty good out of the box. Off by a few pixels in three of the four corners after a 9 point calibration, but pretty good for the usual run of tablet issues.

- very little jitter and no "waviness" with a ruler test, particularly with fast strokes. Tested in PS, haven't tried it in Manga Studio yet.

Other miscellaneous stuff:

- pressure curve is definitely different with the new pen, as Frenden mentioned. I like it. I have it set to max sensitivity, and my lightest stroke seems to kick in around 19 (of 2048)

- They also included an extra pen of the older style. On that one, my lightest stroke kicks in around 38. I also seem to have to press harder to reach 2048. Sort of feels like a brush instead of a pen, compared to the newer one.

- This came with new drivers, 5.02g. These are not on Yiynova's website yet. I do not see any differences and do not see patch notes. I'll email them and ask what changed.

- the bezel buttons are sturdier than on the previous one I had.

- Warning: be sure to uninstall all previous drivers before installing the new ones. It worked with the older driver, but Photoshop (CS6, 64 bit) would crash when I tried to launch it. A clean install fixed the problem.

10. RaphK

RaphK Pen Pal - Newbie

"when used with Windows it must be used to mirror the other display(s) or be in a single-monitor setup. " - Deal breaker for me. Not a thing I would do with a 1440x900. Sounds like the same UCLogic as the Yiynova 19U, with driver differences. All the specs sound the same. Undercutting Yiynova on price though! And it has bezel buttons. Only $389.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.