Yet another screen protector thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by lowlife, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale

Dale Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm sorry to start yet another of these threads, but I've been reading the many variations and can't believe that the manufacturer of such an expensive machine can be so vague and unclear about the screen protector. I installed the Fujitsu protector when I got my 4220 based on what Fujitsu told me and what I read on these posts. It made the display far less clear. So, I removed it (not a big deal for me, since I rarely use the pen) after reading some posts that indicated that there was a factory installed protector and that I probably had installed a second protector on top of that.

Now, after reading many more threads about the virtues of one protector or another, I can honestly say that I have no idea whether there is a factor installed protector on my screen or not. Can somebody tell me definitively whether the 4220 ships with an installed protector or not? Is all the discussion of the various protectors for those that want additional protection or is the issue that there is no protection without installing one manually. The one I installed was the one with the adhesive on the edges that came with the machine. The screen is beautiful without it, but quite unclear with it installed. I would prefer to leave it off and I can't believe that such expensive equipment would ship with no protector in place. Please help me definitively with determining whether or not there is any protector on the units that are shipped. Thanks in advance.

2. aetneerg

aetneerg Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, all Fujitsu tablets should come with pre-installed screen protectors. They don't tell you that though. My T5010 I just received this past Thursday has a screen protector on it. I wasn't sure if mine has it on or not because they supplied me with extra ones in the box. But after looking carefully on the screen I can see where I could peel off the protector. If you put a second one ontop of the pre-installed protector than that is probably why your screen is unclear. I remember a forum member from here or somewhere else asking a Fujitsu representative about screen protectors. The rep said that all T series of Fujitsu tablets come pre-installed with protectors.

3. zanchin

zanchin Scribbler - Standard Member

Funny thing! I also asked and they told me that there wasn't any protector preinstalled! But now I took a closer look and was also able to see something like an endge very close to the border.
    But then why that extra in the box?
    Has anyone removed the factory installed one? Does it work properly? How to clean it afterwards?

4. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well it depends on the preinstalled screen protector you use. I wouldn't want to "remove" my Indoor/outdoor preinstalled screen protector, that's why I use an additional screen protector. But some other members here, who bought the T2010 with the "grainy" indoor screen protector installed have removed it and applied a better one one.
    It's possible, it works and sometimes "necessary" to get a better display.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=10264&page=2

Another member, who owned the T4220, also removed the factory installed screen protector:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=19416

But if you remove it and the scratch it, then you have a scratch forever :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Dale

Dale Pen Pal - Newbie

Frank
    Your post confuses me. It was the other thread you mentioned that first alerted me to the "fact" that there was a pre-installed protector. After reading that thread, I decided there was little point to removing the factory installed protector, but that I had, indeed, installed a second protector on top of that. Now you are talking about installing a second protector on top of the pre-installed one. Why on earth would you want to do that?

6. Frank

I speak about the T2010 display. I don't know how the screen protectors are on the T5010 or the T4220.
    The T2010 has two display options, indoor and indoor/outdoor. The indoor screen protector is grainy and not worth it. I would use it without an additional screen protector and remove the factory applied grainy screen protector it if it's scratched.
    But I have the indoor/outdoor option which uses a clear AR screen protector. This is something different and special. Because this screen protectors feels soft I bought a second screen protector and applied it above the AR one in the hope that the AR protector still reduces the reflections a bit and I get a hardener surface with the second screen protector. I don't know if this makes sense, or if it is maybe better to remove the AR one and only use the second screen protector or to use the tablet with only the AR screen protector. But because I'm afraid of damaging the expensive AR layer easily, and that the reflections get worse when I remove the AR protector I applied a second, cheaper clear screen protector which I can easily replace.

7. ProgressionMurph

ProgressionMurph Pen Pal - Newbie

Frank, do you know the difference between the indoor and outdoor 'screen' or does that just refer to what screen protector your usuing?

8. Frank

It's just the screen protector they use.
    On the T2010 the indoor display has a grainy AG screen protector, the outdoor a clear AR screen protector.
    On the T5010 the indoor display has a clear glossy screen protector (no AR, no AG), the outdoor a (in my opinion not grainy) AG screen protector.

9. ProgressionMurph

ProgressionMurph Pen Pal - Newbie

What about indoor/outoor screen protector? I will be receiving a T5010 in the mail shortly so I am shoppig for screen protectors. I ordered an Indoor outdoor. Should I be looking for any particular protector? Should I remove the indoor outdoor protector they put on or put something overtop?

10. lowlife

lowlife Addicted to gadgets

My opinion, leave the indoor/outdoor factory installed protector in place and purchase a Photodon Crystal clear protector and place over it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.