Yet Another Request for Help Deciding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brian, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunlaing

dunlaing Pen Pal - Newbie

I want a Tablet PC. I'd been going back and forth on it, but I have decided that I want a 14" screen. I don't care if it's a slate or a convertible (as long as I can get an external keyboard for the slate). I'd like it to have a good graphics card as well.

Mostly I want to use it for drawing and using Photoshop/Illustrator. I'll also want to play some games on it though.

It looks like the Toshiba Tecra M4 fits the bill pretty well, but I'd like to hear other options as well as advice. Suggestions on how to get it would be nice too (should I get it from the manufacturer or a particular reseller, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

2. NJS

NJS Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the Toshiba Tecra M4 is fine for you. You could order this on the Toshiba website, as you can customize it there and put a better graphics card in. And some more memory would be good too for gaming, and pretty good processor, but I don?t know how much you want to spend.

But if you really want a good graphics card you could wait for the Toshiba M400 but that only has a 12" screen.

I have heard about a Toshiba Tecra M6 coming out, that should have Duo core too, but I don?t know how long you want to wait.

Nigel

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If there's a core duo replacement for the M4 coming, it's several months away. It wasn't on display at CES and not even talked about. Since you need a dedicated graphics card, you really only have two choices. The M4 as NJS said and the Acer C310. Of the two, I much prefer the Toshi.

4. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I did not know that you could put in different video memory into the M4

5. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My vote is for the Toshi M4 as well.

6. dunlaing

dunlaing Pen Pal - Newbie

In that case, what do you think the odds are that the price would go down after they announce the M400?

7. dunway

dunway Pen Pal - Newbie

Buy Toshiba not Acer. Of course there will be some discount. I am guessing around the range of 5%-10% for the pre built ones. Word of warning the Nvidia 6200 on the Acer can barely play COD2, and HLF2.

8. Brian

There's not much of a driver to make prices fall signficantly. Toshiba has been having great sales on the R10/R15, so maybe they'll extend those to the M4 too.

9. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They already have made a discount on the M4. 15%. it is now 1600ish. about the same as the R15 was. also you can get an r10 for 850 now. cheapest tablet there is as far as I know. but the hard drive is 4200 and non-upgradable to 5400. can you guys put up an announcement about this new price like you did when the r15 went down by $300 a month or so ago?

10. Brian

The sale is in our deals section at the top of the site. Side note, when you find deals that we don't have posted, please use the form to submit. There is a cheap Gateway tablet deal too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.