yet another new tablet question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuperRob, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smamdani

smamdani Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, this is yet another new tablet question, though from a former tablet user. I'm a law student, and I had a toshiba portege for about 7 months in 2003. 2 weeks before the first, and most crucial/terrifying, set of finals, the Toshiba died, taking all of my notes with it. Even more wonderfully, the Toshiba service centers around chicago must have thought i was bringing them some sort of alien artifact, as they took well over 2 months to fix the damn thing. Not being capable of being computerless for that time, I got myself a powerbook and have been using that since.

I miss the ink-based computing and the ability to handwrite notes and keep them organized in spite of myself. Therefore, I am in the market for a new tablet. As you might imagine, reliability and service are very high on my list of requirements . I plan to keep my powerbook at home and travel to school and work with the tablet, so portability is important.

Given my previous experience with Toshiba, i'd like to stay away from their products. I've read on this site and others that IBM and Fujitsu are both very reliable. The other brand that I was curious about is Motion, specifically the LE1600. What is motion's reputation for reliability adn service like? Also, is there a pending review of that machine on this site?

Thanks for the help

2. SuperRob

SuperRob Pen Pal - Newbie

You can't beat IBM for reliability. That said, having good backup options will at least save your notes in the event of another disaster.

3. smamdani

I've been on computers since I was about 7, so if anyone should have known better, it was me. Since then, i've almost constantly had my memory key on me and with my notes backed up on it. Live and learn.

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am sorry to say that we have no pending review for the Motion LE1600 Tablet. Unlike IBM and Fujitsu, Motion has not responded nor offered to work with us to provide a review at this time. We will post any new information as it surfaces.

5. smamdani

Do you have any knowledge or experience with their service or support? Or if not, do you know of any other resources where i might find such information?

6. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

7. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are you sure a slate is really what you want? They have that clip on keyboard, but I'm not sold on that solution. With the low weight of the tc4200 and X41, I think they're better alternatives, unless you really want slate.

8. smamdani

I'm not sold either way. I envision keeping the powerbook as essentially a desktop, handling my photos, music, gaming, etc. The tablet i envisioned as replacing legal pads for work, and for note-taking in class. For larger writing assignments, i'm not sure whether i would do them on the tablet or on the apple. The possibility of using onenote or gibinder or planplus to markup cases in pdf format makes me think i might do more writing on my tablet. I remain concerned enough about security to retain the apple to handle my online banking and purchasing.

In terms of heirarchy, i think the x41 is at the top of my list right now, but i wanted to get the whole picture before making a decision. I had one question about the ibm; i've read elsewhere that their student discount is 10%, but when I talked with them last week, they said it was 5%, which is it?

Thanks

Saleem

9. SuperRob

SuperRob Pen Pal - Newbie

If they said it's five percent, it's probably five percent. ;) Any discount on a newly-released IBM is a good thing, though. Five percent is just about enough to get a RAM upgrade from Newegg or Crucial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.