Yet Another New Battery Technology

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Speaking about new technologies, something is going on with Cuberg, but it's not clear what it is. More stable electrolyte for regular Li-Ion batteries? Or a completely revamped construction?

http://www.cuberg.net/

2. Steve S

3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

can we just go ahead and rename the thread "yet another new battery technology...that will never ever go into commercial production"?

4. Steve S

<<...can we just go ahead and rename the thread...>>

Well really it's implied, isn't it...???

5. Steve S

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oooh. I like that one! From the article...
    Of course.., I find I remain the perpetual optimist when it comes to engineering/sciences on this level. -Where the descriptions of what the researchers are doing jive with my own experiences in high school science labs and step by step logical problem solving.

There are already Zinc/Air batteries in wide use (for medical devices like hearing aids), where you have to peel off a plastic seal to open an air vent in order to activate them.

It sounds like Lithium/Air could work in a similar way if they can get the corrosion issues under control, which it sounds like their early tests have made some good progress toward.

But we'll see. Battery tech is slow to advance and most of these approaches are abandoned before they go anywhere, (sometimes for perfectly legitimate chemistry reasons), but battery tech IS advancing. Maybe Air/Lithium will be a part of that future..?

I'm still hopeful that graphene battery tech is the next step forward; there is already early involvement at the mass production level, which is a promising sign.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  7. Steve S

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

All of these incremental lessons in "How Batteries Work", -and there seem to be many of them, while progress may seem slow, is actually quite impressive in a tech field, providing plenty of promising leads which engineers can follow. There appears to be no letup in this curve, so I bet ten years from now, coupled with lower power processors, people will consider 10 hour battery lives on their portables to be the bare acceptable minimum, with anything beneath that a 'deal breaker'. :)

9. Steve S

10. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

At the rate this new tech making it to the market place, maybe my great grandchildren will be able to.... also read an endless barrage of investment scams ^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h press releases about upcoming battery vaporware.