Yet Another New Battery Technology

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

New energy production source discovered by US army:

The mix of a special aluminium based powder of their invention with water gives an efficient mechanism for the hydrolysis of water, producing energy as heat and also hydrogen to power fuel cells without the need of an (energy consuming) supplementary catalyst. Could be used to recharge batteries, and of course for a lot of applications!

More on that here:

http://newatlas.com/army-powder-battery/50862/
    http://revolution-green.com/nano-aluminium-offers-fuel-cells-demand-just-add-water/

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

As most of you are probably aware, Toyota has released a car called Mirai (future in Japanese) that runs on hydrogen.

Couldn't something like that be miniaturized and put in portable computers some day? Maybe not in ten years, but how about 25?

4. Steve S

<<...Couldn't something like that be miniaturized and put in portable computers some day?..>>

...I believe it's an internal combustion engine...???

5. Kumabjorn

Isn't it an electrical engine? My understanding, granted I haven't studied it, is that hydrogen is used to create electricity that runs the car.

6. Steve S

<<...My understanding...is that hydrogen is used to create electricity that runs the car...>>

...Small fuel cells already exist. I can think of at least one (powered by propane, IIRC) that is intended for device charging. However, most fuel cells are not particularly high-current producers; that is, small fuel cells do not produce enough current to run a computer with a 95W TDP processor, for example. Until fuel cells can produce more current, they will remain curiosities, at least for this type of application.

https://jet.com/product/detail/bb12...&clickid=9c8d815a-70a9-4a6c-81f0-2707bb152005

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. Steve S

Kumabjorn likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Thanks, I was just brainstorming, but I guess it was closer to brainfarting. Right now a lot of battery evolution seems driven by the transport sector, some of that should spill over to electronic devices.

9. Steve S

RT545 likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Have to love this statement: " due to the abundance of both air and zinc," it is like they expected a serious depletion because of all the gadgets.