Yet Another New Battery Technology

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Mar 16, 2015.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

[​IMG]

I get the non-tabbed concept, that there is conductor along one edge of the anode/cathode material which makes up one end of the "jelly roll". -A brilliant innovation.

But I do NOT understand what the heck I'm looking at here. They said laser cutting is used to get those little shingle shapes. How? Does anybody get this?

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I do NOT understand what the heck I'm looking at here...>>

@thatcomicsguy : You're looking at the end of the roll. The edge conductor is cut at short intervals so that, when the film is rolled up, the "tabs" can be folded over without wrinkles to form a conductive "surface." You are literally looking at the entire edge conductor on one end of the cell...

JoeS and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, a friend explained it to me last night. He said, "Those big leafs around the edge? Each shingle is one of those but folded over. See it now?"

Ahhhh.

I can't believe it took so much effort to understand something so simple. -I don't think that counts in the same category as that Elon quote, "Simple is Hard." But I can pretend.

Steve S likes this.
  4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Can somebody explain why the entire inner roll needs to be shingled, not just the outer edge "leafs" (if the objective was just a tabless design).

Does this increase capacitance somehow?

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ah ok, so each of the inner shingles also forms part of the terminal:

"Tesla’s solution to this, leading to a much larger 4680 cell, is a new “tabless” design with contacts running the length of the anode and cathode sheets—forming a rose-like gathering at the ends when everything is rolled up—keeping the electrical path length to the terminal short throughout the sheet."

But then why are the outer shingle 'leafs' so much larger? Folded in like that, wouldn't they block a large portion of the smaller shingles inside?