Yet Another New Battery Technology

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hey guys! Thought you might be interested in this neat video explaining some of the chemistry behind Li-ion cell degradation (@6:20):

Basically in a normal Li-ion cell, there is a thin protective barrier that forms on the inside of the terminals called the "solid electrolyte interface":

[​IMG]

This layer is thin enough to be permeable to Li ions, allowing full charging. However, over time this layer builds up to a thickness that restricts ion flow, thus lowering maximum charge capacity:

[​IMG]

The main factors that cause this build up are:

1) ambient temperature during charging (heat increases the electrolyte solidification rate)
    2) charging current (resistive heating effect at the electrode)
    3) microscopic expansion/contraction of the electrode (surprise surprise, also related to heat ;))

So it seems the main takeaway is inline with conventional battery wisdom of storing batteries in a cool, dry environment and not using fast-charging where possible, instead preferring trickle charging.

(I would also conjecture the density of Li-ions at the electrode attracts electron buildup at the electrolyte interface, which in turn speeds-up solidification. This explains why it's recommended to store batteries at less the maximum charge over the long term.)

Happy charging folks, and keep your batteries cool. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Lol. That ‘spring’ analogy would suck if it were apt. I’m imagining that it's early April and the ornamental cherry tree in my back yard issues its annual press release - “new blossoms more colourful and durable according to new cherry tree research. This newly discovered blossom technology uses a novel nanostructured petal surface that could prove to be up tp 10% more durable than existing petals, and attract 11% more bees. The new blossoms also use a novel pink pigment that was discovered using deep learning. Cherry tree researchers claim this new pink will prove cheaper to produce and have a much lower environmental impact once the petals are shed. ‘We’re seeking industrial partners to scale this new petal technology’, says lead cherry tree researcher Cherie Treigh. ‘With the right backing, cherry blossoms could bloom in your back yard as soon as five years from now’.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Aluminum ION is likely the next one we will see in consumer devices in my opinion. The weight to power ratio over Lithium ION is substantial and a couple of companies claim to have solved the stability (or lack of) problem

thatcomicsguy and YVerloc like this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I kind of wish Elon Musk would focus some of his unique attention on small scale batteries, though I suspect that's just too small a concern to fit into his grandiose vision of the Future.

6. Steve S

<<...I kind of wish Elon Musk would focus some of his unique attention on small scale batteries...>>

...Maybe he could do something with that molten sulfur chemistry that I keep hearing about!

7. Steve S

8. Steve S

<<...I heard that the new batteries are not as good as the older ones...>>

It depends upon what they mean by "good." Specifically what do you think you've heard?

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I ran across this speculation video by an engineer and battery enthusiast with a fairly compelling rumor that Elon may be very close to having conquered the solid state battery...

Confirmation here:

It seems that Elon Musk is the guy pushing everything cool forward. I wonder how long until this technology trickles down to personal computing devices?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member