Yet another artist seeking a Wacom alternative

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Waleis, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

IIRC, biggest differences with M750 and M400 is:

1280x800 widescreen LCD vs 1024x768 4:3 LCD
    X3100 GPU vs GMA950 GPU
    Optional resistive touch (not on mine)

It'll do what you need, as long as you keep some expectations in check. The resolution of the LCD is biggest one since you are use to 1920x1080. This is 1280x800, which is norm for Tablet PC LCD. M4 or M400 with optional 1400x1050 LCD would be great, but they are non existent now.

2. Waleis

Waleis Pen Pal - Newbie

Well that does sound interesting. I think I'll go do some more research on this tablet now too. Man, the choices are becoming broader...I wish I wasn't so indecisive.

3. Waleis

Waleis Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I could surely live without the 1.3 inches of screen if the price is right and the workspace isn't atrocious. I hate to sound cheap and picky, because I know you get what you pay for. It sounds like a great working machine.

It DOES sound good, but might I ask what expectations to keep in check, aside from getting over being accustomed to my desktop monitor's resolution? I hope that I can because I have little choice otherwise! :) I don't expect blazing fast performance with multi-layered .psd or .ai files. I'm hoping to honestly limit the use to sketching, and perhaps simple black and white line drawing, refining details, etc. So I hope I'm not too far out in my hopes for my future tablet pc...

I steered away from anything I hadn't read about on here, with reference to use as an artist's tablet pc. Any subsequent or randomly related search results I paid no attention to and see now my folly. Being so unaccustomed to this facet of computer tech leaves me at a disadvantage when researching these products. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to see what you have in mind for this tablet. I'm open to any and all suggestions so feel free to create the post in the buy/sell area. Or if you'd rather just PM me, as I'm still in the "I dunno what I want" stage, I'd love to hear what you're asking for one.

Also, I had to dig up some sales on the older Cintiqs that were mentioned earlier in this thread. While indulging my curiosity on eBay for the hundredth hour or so, I did come across several older Cintiq's that were mentioned previously in this thread. The pl-550 15 in lcd looks...well, old and unattractive.

However, from what I have been reading on it, the pen response is great but supports less pressure sensitivity than newer models. I believe I saw 512 levels, as opposed to the more modern models that support 2048 levels. I'd imagine I really wouldn't know what I'm missing as I've had so little experience with any such technology in the first place.

Does this display replace the monitor? Or is it used as a second display? The prices I found on the few pl-550s were from between $330and $550. Some have light image burn-in. How negatively does that affect it's functionality, if at all? Or does it simply affect the color appearance onscreen? Others, at higher prices, have no damage aside from the typical wear and tear cosmetic scuffs, scratches, etc to the outer frame.

Plus, many of the ones I found are all from the same seller and they ship from Hong Kong. I've never bought internationally before, so does anyone know how badly US Customs fees are?

Wacom Cintiq 15X PL-550 15" Tablet White Special Offer II Free Shipping | eBay

The same seller also has the 17in and several 15in displays at various prices. I'm just afraid to drop that much money without it being a sure thing.

I noticed that there was mention that the x200t is likely within my price range. I am seeing the complete opposite, so I wonder if I am looking at the wrong item. eBay postings I have searched most commonly do not fall below $600 and range mostly from $749-$1249. I thought I saw this model being mentioned earlier, but I could easily have misunderstood.

The HP 2730p have been demonstrating some great prices, too. Much more affordable than I had anticipated. Their newer counterpart, the 2760p is a sweet, sweet machine...but I paid less for my desktop and am not wanting to go into debt further to sate my artistic appetites.

So, I'm still on the fence after a few more days of searching and some great deals discovered. It still stands to reason that I need not only as large a screen as is available (within my budget) but that the supported resolution be such that allows a larger workspace, and I can sacrifice this for affordability and portability and ultimately, useability.

I have two intriguing options in the t5010 (currently my top contender) and the m750 (close 2nd). The Motion Computing le1700 C2D and the Lenovo x61t are the least expensive, followed by the rare hp 2730p listings that I've found at or below $249. Then of course, the Cintiq pl-550...sigh....

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Look, someone in your position with your budget can't be expecting sure thing out of anything, especially without any previous experience as point of reference as to what a sure thing is and isn't.

You are at a point where you are frozen from decision due to too much information. Let me make it simpler:

$300 only gets you certain things. If you can raise that to about $600, we can talk about more options. If you can't, just get what you can get with $300 and don't worry about better options that might exist.

And with $300, what you get is either an old Core 2 Duo Tablet PC with 12" 1280x800 LCD and 256 levels of pressure Wacom digitizer, get a 10" USB powered pen display with 1024x600 LCD and none Wacom EMR digitizer with 1024 levels of pressure, or get a Hitachi branded Cintiq 15X that comes without it's USB cable and you have to get your own power supply and make your own PS2 to USB cable. I don't see any other choice for you @$300.

And within the 12" Tablet PC options, you don't get T5010 ($450+) for nor even what I've offered, the M750 ($400+), for $300.
    You can get 2730p, but it will come with at best 1.86GHz C2D and 1 or 2GB of RAM, and would be stuck with slow 1.8" HDD.
    You can get T4215/4220, but it will have 1024x768 LCD and 1 or 2GB RAM,
    You can get Toshiba M400 or M700, but they usually come as parts for that price and you would have to refurb it yourself for additional money.

If you have some skills with computers, you can do what I did and buy a unit missing parts and refurb it yourself. That will get you M700 or M750 for less than $300 easily (but not T5010).

So I think not only do you have to keep your expectations in check for not only what a 12" C2D Tablet PC can do, but what a $300 budget gets you.

And finally, you cannot have a point of reference for these things until you get that first experience with them. $300 is perfectly reasonable price to get that first experience. Let's not waste anymore of your time with that first step.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.