Yes, Samsung ATIV Smart PC (Atom) DOES work with Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by ryanswj, Jun 28, 2013.

1. ryanswj

ryanswj Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, I just installed Windows 8.1 onto my ATIV Smart PC (Atom CloverTrail). It does work, unlike what Microsoft says.

Moral of the story: dare to try the impossible :)

As they say, no picture, no talk, so here's an image for you:
    [​IMG]

How to do it?

1. You'll need the Win8.1 32-bit ISO. Get it from Windows 8.1 Preview ISO files - Microsoft Windows
    2. Follow instructions on http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sam...all-windows-into-your-ativ-smart-pc-500t.html to create a bootable Win8.1 USB key. Spoiler: A LOT of hard work coming right up...
    3. Before attempting any formatting, run SW Update on your ATIV to download ALL driver files EXCEPT Wacom Digitiser. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO THIS ONCE ON WIN8.1 AS SW UPDATE DOES NOT WORK THERE!
    4. Get the other drivers from the links I provide below:
      Wacom Digitiser Drivers - http://cdn.wacom.com/U/drivers/TabletPC/ISD_DualTouch_711-12.exe
      Much newer drivers than those Samsung provides
    5. After you've prepared the USB flash drive, proceed to boot your ATIV from USB by starting BIOS Setup by holding down the Windows button when powering on. Select the last tab, then select your thumbdrive at the bottom (should see something like UEFI: Name of thumbdrive)
      Please note that you will require a USB hub, a USB keyboard and mouse because touch doesn't work during setup! Also note that it takes FOREVER to boot from USB - don't panic!
    6. Follow the instructions, and select the Custom Install option when asked. If you need the product key, visit the Windows 8 ISO download page I linked above.
      I deleted the 100MB partition, MSR partition and my C drive partition, leaving recovery intact.
    7. Let it install. It will take a while. Go get a drink/beer.
    8. After you've booted into W8.1, it's now time to install drivers. Install the William drivers that you've downloaded from SW update first. Afterwards, install the drivers in any order you please.
      Take special care NOT TO INSTALL SW UPDATE because it does not work!
      You will need to install the PowerVR graphics drivers MANUALLY through device manager because the setup file will refuse to run! Go to Device Manager > Display Adapters > Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and update the driver
    9. Restart, and you should be up and running with Win8!

For the lazy or the cannot-be-bothered, the video shows W8.1 on the ATIV Smart PC.
    [video=youtube;gO2iYDTs0ik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO2iYDTs0ik[/video]

Hope you guys enjoyed this!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  2. MadSquabbles

MadSquabbles Pen Pal - Newbie

they didn't say it wouldn't work, just that it's not supported, which is why you have to go through so much to get it running.

oh, and great write up!

3. 996gt2

996gt2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Awesome!

How does it run compared to the Windows 8 that came standard on the 500T?

4. sbollin

sbollin Pen Pal - Newbie

Installed on mine. But now my touchpad doesn't work. Also if it is docked in the keyboard I can't access anything on my desktop. Desktop mode is frozen. Only the metro ui works. If I reboot without it docked everything works fine until I attach the keyboard again.

5. ryanswj

ryanswj Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! Was my pleasure writing this guide to help the rest!

6. ryanswj

ryanswj Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't really had the chance to play with it yet, so I can't quite comment! I'll be sure to write my impressions once I have had enough time to play around! Seems equally responsive, if not more responsive, than W8 that came on the tablet. But it could be because I reformatted it.

7. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

I can confirm this too. I just installed windows 8.1 on my ativ 500t and it works flawlessly. I have to admit that the installation was not smooth, but it did work eventually.

8. Parannarae

Parannarae Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, it is a work to do.

I did successfully install 8.1 on my ATIV atom through MS store way. Although it makes me to force shutdown for several time :)

Now what I wonder is that if your ATIV successfully shutdown on Windows 8.1 cause mine does not (it never finish shutdown process with blue screen and white circling, thus I need to force shutdown with the hardware button every single time.)

9. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

Parannarae, I had your same experience. The tablet would restart, do this updating % count, then the screen would go dark. I had to force shut down with the power button a few times and it eventually took me to fill in some information, then it went dark again and forced me to force shut down. Finally, it restarted and took me to the desktop. Once the update to 8.1 was complete I've had no problems. Windows 8.1 works awesome on my ativ500.

10. botossi

botossi Pen Pal - Newbie

Parannarae, how did you manage to install via MS Store???? I didnt get the update request like i did my desktop... what did you do?

11. Parannarae

Ah... So it is only my ATIV cause this "not going to shutdown" problem... I may try to re-install the 8.1 although it might be another pain for slow atom processor :(

12. Parannarae

You first need to install small Window update from MS website. Then after reboot, you will have store with 8.1 update.

Wow, I'm searching for it, but cannot find the link anymore. There was once two options to install (by iso and store update style) but cannot find one with later option. Hope other can find and post the link here.

13. sbollin

sbollin Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you guys having issues with your touchpad not working?

14. jrubioruiz

jrubioruiz Pen Pal - Newbie

.Hi everyone.

Yes. I have updated today and everything Works fine but the keyboard and desktop freez when try to connect the dock

Any idea?
    Thank you

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  15. jrubioruiz

Same to me! Any idea

16. donb

donb Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey how'd you get it to install from the Store? Mine just keeps telling me I need to update the firmware or drivers and says incompatible and then the install fails.

17. jrubioruiz

first of all, i apologize for my english.
    I have updated everything with SW Update except the graphic driver that i updated with this link

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sam...iv-smart-pc-atom-does-work-windows-8-1-a.html

Then i went to the microsoft web, (Descarga Windows 8.1 Preview - Microsoft Windows) and followed the instruction: download software, reboot and search in the "windows market".

It took a while to get it, but finally, windows 8.1 began to download and setup...

Seven hours in total...

And everything works fine except the keyboard and touchpad.

Regards

18. Parannarae

When I was using mine, I didn't have any problem with touchpad and the dock. It worked fine as it suppose to be except shutdown. I guess windows 8.1 is not compatible to atom yet :)

19. Parannarae

I currently restore my ATIV and tried to re-install 8.1 with store method, but I got same response as yours. I guess MS prevents atom to be updated so that no more user can complain about it :)

20. donb

donb Pen Pal - Newbie

I did all the S/W Updates but where did you get the video driver because I think that's where the bottleneck is?

That link inside that post is just for the digitizer of which I believe I do not have. I saw that guys post before and he does a clean .iso install but I would prefer using the Store like you did though.