Yeesh... The new iPad skips laminated display for reduced price...

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Shogmaster, Mar 27, 2018.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Have to agree with previous comments about the noise of drawing with the pencil on the iPad - very distracting. The accuracy is to die for though and I don't need a cursor either (You don't get a cursor when drawing with pencil on paper LOL!)

Despite previous enthusiasm and then reservations I think I'm starting to think "why not" - pen accuracy is my compromise limit whether it's a £100 screen or a £1500 screen - and though £300 is not cheap or chicken change it's not the same as spending £1000 and thinking I have to adjust and live with EMR / AES / Ntrig accuracy limits.

Plus I could try to run the new iPad alongside my MacBook as a mini cintiq screen for sketching and drawing using Astropad. I might get this thing plus a pair of foam ear pads...

2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the 2017 ipad pro models are the most perfected digital handwriting tech consumers can get in a singular piece of hardware. You should wait for the inevitable discounts on both 10.5 and 12.9 models when the new ipadpro models will be released in june. Even, though they might be older in date,but they have a more modern processor than the current generation iPad amateur. That makes them more future compatible. I too will wait till then. It's just two months.

About that, Cintiqs and Cintiq mode on Wacom MSP utilizes the hardware power of your main computer. Astropad on other hand, utilizes also the processing power of iPad guts, which being very limited in the new ipad will cause you a lot of problem. Another reason to wait it out for newer ipadpro 2018. And if apple is listening to me hopefully it will allow a true cintiq mode on ipadpro. The current ipad barely has enough resources to barely replace yuor journal and sketch pad.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Youll notice the increased parallax if you look for it. If you are not looking for it, you probsbly wont notice.

4. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

interesting, to my hand the EMR is more accurate for drawing, despite having slightly greater parallax than ipad pro. But i think for most people apple pencil is good enough, im sure i could adapt if i only used my apple pencil, but i still prefer ERM for digital drawing, painting and design work. The lack of hardware on the ipad makes it difficult to be a primary work device for me. But i love it for its pure convenience. i never draw in bed with my MSP. thats all ipad pro territory. just sucks its so gimped in the ram department.

its true that pencil and paper has no floating cursor, but you also dont have a screen gap that causes parallax like all digital drawing devices have....

5. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Astropad Luna might solve the issues with astropad, but its a Mac only hardware option.

i notice the 120 screen and apple optimized software more than decreased parallax on ipad pro VS new EMR. they are very close, with EMR still getting slightly less accurate at edges. YMMV.

i personally dont care much about 120 screen vs 60 because good drawing and handwriting for me requires slowing down. 120 is only noticeable if i scribble as fast as i can. But, the difference is there. the new ipad pro is very fast as long as you can work within its limits. I would imagine the first gen ipad pro and the new ipad are pretty much the same in the latency department.

6. doobiedoobiedum

I suppose it could be "horses for courses" but the lack of cursor was always an iPad thing, you wanted to press a button or tab, you touched it accurately. For me, there is a direct translation to the Apple pencil - when I tried them, the pencil came down exactly where I wanted it to to activate / operate exactly what I wanted it to.

DaniJoy likes this.
  7. siddhartth

I don't want a cursor with Apple pencil. I just want a 0.7 to 1mm tip on it. I know that it is accurate but I still want to see where it is touching. So that I can write in a smaller font. Panning and zooming has limits and does take time.

People say that Apple has a wonky unpredictable pressure curve in the begining of a stroke. And there the wacom reigns supreme. But this is not so at the end of the stroke, even on the new EMR the tapering is too fast. Sure, there's no shoe lace effect. But thevstroke tapers too quickly compared to traditional media. Thus wacom has mastered the initial IAF and pressure curve but still even it has some weaknesses. It's more of a nitpicking instead of a real problem but still it's sommething that makes me uncomfortable.

I have repeatedly heard from many real owners that ipadpro 12.9/first gen had lower IAF than ipadpro 9.7 2016. And last year same difference was observed, the 10.5 ipadpro had higher IAF compared to 12.9-second gen. I don't know what causes it. But I do know when scribbling at a slightly higher speed most of the latency becomes more perceptible, also, latency has a bottleneck called frame rate, the frame rate is dependent on the power of the processor as well as the efficiency of the app. Apps on both iPad and iPad are the same, the difference is power, so theoretically during similar heavy load on CPU frame rate will drop in iPad amateur but will be maintained in ipadpro. And even though, the refresh rate is 144hz it won't help if the cursor or ink can only move at 30Hz. So, even though both first gen iPad and 2018 iPad have the same refresh rate that is 60Hz, Don't be surprised to see more latency on the iPad 2018.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    DaniJoy likes this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum

What you want is an offset then? Tell me, when you write with a biro on paper do you look at where you are writing or what you are writing?

Yeah and some people hate on Procreate - even on this forum. that doesn't discount the great art that is made on this device. For me it is about the ease you can create work. My demand is the pen touching the surface where I expect it to. I disagree that Wacom reigns supreme - you can adjust the pressure curve in different apps.

9. siddhartth

I would hate an offset, what i am saying is that tip of the pencil is too thick, even though it can touch a single pixel because of it's accuracy, what actually happens is it's thick end still hides probably 20 pixels from the view. I think Apple needs to thin it out. It's pointy should be a lot pointier. It's currently a very very blunt pencil.

Cintiqs are not perfect, and that's what i said when i was mentioning that tail ends of strokes on cintiqs taper too quickly.
    Infact i have since long maintained that dollars per surface area, wacom cintiqs are a pretty expensive deal, in my country Cintiq pro 13 costs the same as a a 12.9 ipad. But it lacks a lot of things compared to it.

For the same amount of money iPad pro 12.9offers much more than a cintiq-
    • 120Hz display vs 60Hz
    • 240 Hz polling rate vs 233Hz
    • 2732x 2048 vs 1920x1089
    • 10 hours battery vs no battery
    • iOS vs no operating system in built in cintiq
    • Ipad can be used in lap on the bed not the case with cintiq.
    • 719 grams in ipad weight vs 1100 grams of cintiq + laptop that is attachecd
    Thus, one get's more out of ipad pro 12.9 second gen for every dollar spent, for every gram of it's weight for every inch square of it's display.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    hiramkey and DaniJoy like this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

You do know a Cintiq is just a display? You can't seriously compare what a computer offers vs a computer display.