Yeesh... The new iPad skips laminated display for reduced price...

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Shogmaster, Mar 27, 2018.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

My concern would be battery life, specially with that cpu and of course the 32gb of base storage. Then again I can expand that with the USB-C port(may have missed it, but didn't see a mention of any size SD slot), which is better and easier than the ipad option. On the other hand the display on this may not be that good(might be just equal to the 11in MBA or the like).

2. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

If the claims are true, then this is pretty decent, with 8 hours battery life and 1080p res. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

3. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm it actually does have an SD card slot [​IMG]

4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Had experience two years ago trying to help a student with her brand new 32GB Windows 10 laptop*. Not something I would ever recommend but other people's mileage will vary.

*I "know" Windows 10 installation is only 8GB or so but it has a strange tendency to grow and fill up this kind of device pretty quickly and there was no way back for her.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Gotta say, despite the slightly noisy tappity tappity tapping sound of inking with the Pencil, I find the the pressure curve luscious and perfect. Far far nicer than my Thinkpad 14’s AES. EMR may have a lower IAF, but the Pencil leaves just as nice of a final line IMO. Also, there are no issues with diagonal jitter, which is still an issue for me on both my EMR and AES devices when I go slow. It’s also so dead on accurate, that I haven’t really minded not having a cursor. I don’t use a stylus to sketch, I use it for diagramming and plan building, and I need slow controllled linework. On this point, I find the Pencil a surprisingly clear winner. Also its great for lettering, and there’s no “wobbles” in my digitizer, like on so many other inking devices in the past.

Is the charging method beyond absurd? Yes. Is the stupid little cap easy to lose and stupid? Yes. Is it round and rolls too easy? Yes. And if MS did that they’d be persecuted to high heaven.

And yet, personally, I really have found it a joy to ink on. Lol. No denying.

I also find the iPad so wonderfully slim and lightweight and well built, it makes holding the device in the hand easy-peazie. That combines with the Pencil to make a pretty powerful mobile inking experience. Much nicer than any windows tablet I’ve ever used.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    doobiedoobiedum and batty like this.
  6. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

I love the pencil, but the fricken tapping sound annoys me. I wish you could change the tip, as I love felt tips. I do miss the cursor, but I do like how there is no pen wobble or parallax.

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Digitizer grid granularity is clearly where Apple spent the money. AES and MPP needs to improve on that front. As for EMR, its choice of Wacom to only provide UD panels with 1/100th of digitizer granularity vs DTK digitizers to ODMs.

For me personally, its a bit moot since I'd much rather speed up my drawing to avoid diagonal jitter since you can simply undo and redraw to get it right.

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Shogmaster so did you finally made that trip to the nearby Applestore? I was waiting to hear your opinion on the parallax and lag.
    You are talking about which iPad specifically? iPad pro first gen (12.9 and 9.7 2015 and 2016 respectively) or iPad pro second gen (12.9 and 10.5 in 2017) or the new iPad 2018?

What do you mean lower IAF? I thought both Apple pencil and The new EMR panels had less than 1gram IAF?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  9. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes he did. He said it on #49

10. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So, someone coming from ipadpro /Surface pro4 won't notice the parallax? It's that insignificant?

And the ink keeps up with the nib atleast as much as Cintiq pro series (as both Cintiq and base iPad are 60Hz display)?
    I have abandoned my plans to get Cintiq Pro 13, as my coreM3 Surface pro4 doesn't have the guts to run it smoothly. So, the decision is between the iPad pro second gen 12.9 vs iPad 2018. My use case is journaling, academic notetaking, a lot of reading, watching videos. Is buying the pro model from last year now a good idea?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018