Yeesh... The new iPad skips laminated display for reduced price...

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Shogmaster, Mar 27, 2018.

1. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, and this is the price of the iPad, the Bluetooth keyboard, the pencil, and the smart cover-The package you'll need for school. Why the heck do they even try to take out the Chromebooks? This is nearly the starting price of the Sp5![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hehe yeah, there is that lol. In that light 2GB RAM looks way worse...

3. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

I ain't paying 600 dollars for a Tablet with a mere 2 GB ram lol

4. batty

batty Pen Pal - Newbie

Brad Colbow reviews the iPad 2018 with Pencil:

- Performance is somewhere between the 2015 iPad Pro and 2017 iPad Pro.
    - Parallax is minimal despite the non-lamiated screen.
    - The display in general is great.
    - Tilt and pressure sensitivity work as expected.
    - He didn't mention jitter as in his other reviews, but I'd guess it's non-existent assuming Apple doesn't cripple the pro cap sensor grid density.

All in all it's a pretty damn good device!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just watched this before coming to the forum: my take on the video is that shelf life issue. At first I thought "great" then I read about the RAM and the screen gap but his review shows that the iPad runs fine but who knows what Apple will do to the speed in 2 years time in order to save battery life?

I guess if you are an illustrator selling a lot of work the $300 iPad would pay for itself pretty quickly and so you would be getting a really good (but small) device quite cheaply.

If you're a hobbyist though - I don't think 2 years good use for such a device is acceptable.

6. Shogmaster

GOTDAM... That iPadPro slowdown in Astropad... I'd be livid1

7. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

I wouldn't call it cheap..The iPad+keyboard cover+pencil is $573.87. I can get a refurbished Fujitsu Lifebook T902 with 16 GB ram for under $300. You can get work done on it. $573.87 is close to the starting price of The new surface pro! The keyboard is mandatory if you want to use Clip Studio or Affinity Photo-The only desktop-par apps available on the iPad. These are imported from the PC, so the gestures aren't great. But I don't think I can handle very many layers with 2 GB ram.

8. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

If the iPad came with keyboard and pencil, and it was 300 bucks, then that would be an amazing deal. But I doubt they'll ever make one that cheap.

9. Shogmaster

To be fair, you don't need the KB with say Procreate. So you can get by with around $475 after tax. That's still too high for my taste tbh, but for many Apple diehards, it's $300 less than with the iPad Pro.

The interesting part for me is, whether the iPad 6th gen is $300 better than something like the NuVision Duo 10 Draw, which now sells for $150 with MPP pen and KB.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting the experience on the NuVision is anywhere comparable with the iPad 6th gen. The iPad clearly and substantially outclasses it in experience and performance. But it does run CSP (only $25~50 one time fee) pretty well on 2200x1700 canvas. And for $150, that's pretty good. If you want to spend the bare minimum to run CSP, spending $150 feels a whole lot better than $430...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  10. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

I got a fujitsu stylistic st4121 for 15 bucks on eBay last year, and and surprisingly runs very well on csp!