Yeesh... The new iPad skips laminated display for reduced price...

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Shogmaster, Mar 27, 2018.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Cintiq pro13 is a 13" handwriting product, iPadpro is a 13" handwriting product. Both cost the same in my country. Same category. You see my point?

I am sure i am not the first person to suggest that Wacom pricing is not competetive enough.

DaniJoy likes this.
  2. batty

batty Pen Pal - Newbie

Agree Cintiqs are pricey, but I wouldn't say they are in the same category as iPads though, except for those whose primary use case is digital art maybe. They might cost the same, but the use cases in general are very different. I mean how many people buy a Cintiq to pair it with their laptops to watch Youtube videos and browse Facebook? Apple's addition of the Pencil into the game doesn't make iPads any less good being, well, iPads.

Same price range, different use cases.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    DaniJoy and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

If one is on this forum than one's primary usecase is penbased productivity - handwriting and art. And, i was talking about those people. iPadpro and partner apps simply gives better bang for the buck for that very specific purpose. It's not wrong to suggest that to justify it's prices higher than iPad pro range, it needs to bring feature parity with ipad pro displays of similar sizes.

Ansi guess same applies to the professional-graphicsoftware mafia operating in the desktop realm. These companies like adobe etc have been for far too long looting people specially students in the name of productivity and creativity. They have been getting away with charging a fortune for their poorly optimized and laggy software products. Infact if wacom does come out with cintiqs with 120Hz display, ido not think there are any desktop apps optimized for it.

4. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

i can find galaxy book 12 cheaper than ipad pro 12 new here in the states. hard to justify the ipad now, when you can get desktop software and EMR in the same form factor as a ipad pro. Apple only has a battery life advantage now. plus lack of file system makes doing things on a ipad a challenge sometimes. perhaps i struggled because my workstation is PC, but i eventually gave up on doing work on the ipad and started using tablet PC's instead. its a huge productivity jump for me.

I thought 120hz was a nice addition on the ipad pro but it didnt make my drawings any better when i tried it. i consider it a gimmick . but , to each their own.

haha! yes drawing accurately is not something you can teach quickly, it takes years to learn how to really see. I have a hard time keeping people engaged in my classes, people want fast results. you have to really have a passion or mania for drawing and its becoming less and less important in fine and commercial art, with the camera, 3d and AI tools becoming very sophisticated. sure, you can hand draw from life or imagination, but few ever reach the level to make it practical or time efficient. Its old art now. All my famous pro artist friends just copy, trace or project photos, lol. i can see the difference most of the time, but few non artist can see the distortions of the camera. good artists can hide those anyway- because they have enough life drawing experience to see the shortcomings of the camera.

My hand has made thousands of horrible drawings-thankfully with many more to come! i find i usually have to get a few bad drawings out of the way before i get to what i think is good. The pencil mileage is what really counts. Its even tougher to draw while trying to explain your process! i have a hard time drawing academically, i find it boring and pointless with the camera and digital tools we have available. I really enjoy ambidextrous expressionism and the distortions that arise, its much more fun for me- i draw from live models a couple times a week- i need it to be fun. still, every once in a while i attempt to measure and draw perfectly just to make sure i can still do it (usually i cant). the brain is like a muscle, you have to use it daily or you loose it!

you can delay updates on windows 10 pro as long as you want in the advanced settings. i let them mature 6 months or so , that way i dont get any glitches during updates. everyone else finds them first.

Tams and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

I enjoy academic drawing but yes, you have to exercise your drawing brain daily to keep it fresh. Most common question I get is about how to make drawings look "more 3D" and this is usually from students who've come from schools were the art teachers have students copying from photographs...

Only the serious ones go on with observation drawing once I point them in the direction of the answer. The lazier ones go back to copying from photographs.

DaniJoy likes this.
  6. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

you really can see a difference when people use the camera too much, i think its because the camera lacks information and one relies more on copying rather than understanding the forms and shapes. . Those folks you point the right way are lucky to get such sage advise!

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  7. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't get the need to compare all the time. Either the product does what you want it to do to the standard you want it to, or it doesn't. Said product is available at a certain price, and it's up to you to decide if that price is worth what it offers. Generally, I feel that if you can afford it and it offers what you need; then it is worth it.

In this case, Cintiqs clearly offer what a number of people want and they feel that they are worth spending the money on. Whether that be being able to use full blown art programs, the most powerful computers, Wacom EMR, etc. If you are not one of those people... then just don't get a Cintiq.

WillAdams likes this.