YAY!! HP 2740p coming in March!!

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by Shogmaster, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/01/hp-adds-elitebook-2540p-and-2740p-to-the-lineup-brings-the-powe/

The engadget write up is their usual mess, but you can gander at the pictures.

What can be gathered from the piss poor article:
    - Multi-Touch and Pen
    - Core i5 and i7 options

What's confusing from their piss poor article:
    - ULV and LV processors attributed probably to the wrong computer (the article is also about 2540p, a none tablet)
    - Confusing statement about the slice batteries

At least I can start saving up officially now. :D

BTW, there should be another big tablet announcement coming tomorrow. ;)

2. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's another article from GIZMODO that has some specs:

http://gizmodo.com/5481943/hp-elitebook-2740p-tablet-graduates-to-capacitive-multitouch-display

There's also a video on SLASHGEAR where an HP rep is being interviewed. The most interesting part of the interview is that the HP rep said that the 2740p will have the option to support standard voltage mobile Core i7 and i5 CPUs (i.e., i7-620M) which puts it ahead of Lenovo's X201T refresh in terms of raw CPU power if that's your thing.

Personally, I'm conflicted- I've always liked both the 2710p and 2730p and I've been hoping to replace my aging Toshiba M4 with this unit. However, I have a good friend working in Intel that tells me that the next mobile processor iteration (i.e., Sandy Bridge) will have IGP performance that's 2x to 3x faster than the current Intel HD IGP in the current crop if Core i5 and i7 CPUs. I think that's the only thing holding me back from an outright purchase when the unit goes on sale next month.

3. shi

shi Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There's always a script running in the background that slows the page download to a crawl. :mad:

That old chestnut about buying something very expensive now which will be obsolete in 6 months time. How do you know the next mobile processor in 12 months time won;t be 6x faster than the one you are worrying about now?

5. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

There's a level of performance I'm looking for. Once that threshold is breached, I have no qualms about investing in a 1st gen (re: expensive) product. Although the current Intel HD IGP is ~60% faster than the previous iteration (i.e., Intel 4500MHD IGPs), I'm still not fully convinced that 3D applications like Mudbox, ZBrush, 3DCoat, and BodyPaint will not turn sluggish once the polygon counts go beyond, say, 2M.

6. anthony

anthony Pen Pal - Newbie

Zbrush doesn't use graphics processor acceleration, it's all software (CPU) driven, so it should fly on this tablet. Dunno about the others, although I remember 3dcoat being shown off by NVidia somewhere...

7. doobiedoobiedum

Agreed, however CPU manufacturers efforts to give us faster processor speeds always battle with the tendency of software producers efforts to give us more bloated software that negates the improvements.

I remember a time when Electric Image really was the fastest renderer in the world and it dealt with millions of polygons really well. Not done much 3D in years though - do Mudbox, ZBrush or 3DCoat render out or just handle poly modeling?

8. anthony

anthony Pen Pal - Newbie

You can render in Mud and Zbrush, dunno about 3dcoat. Usually in the industry they're used more for sculpting/painting and exporting though, not so much for final output(there are exceptions, but with ZBrush at least the render output is very distinctive, so you have to like that "look"). Either way CPU is really important, especially Z. EI was fast wasn't it? I was never a fan of the look really, kinda inorganic, but the speed was a boon to TV effects. :) (PS: I agree about software devs bloating code as CPUs get faster, it's sad but inevitable!)

9. anthony

anthony Pen Pal - Newbie

Photoshop and ZBrush are .NET? Didn't know that!

10. doobiedoobiedum

Worryingly, there's no mention of pressure sensitivity (be that Wacom or any other device) in the 2740p.

:confused:

Anyone any clearer?

Office runs "fast" because it's in native code?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.