XtendTouch Pro Portable Monitor (ASUS ProArt PQ22UC Killer) Megathread

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 30, 2020.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

OK. I sent a message back to confirm which exact version of MPP they are supporting:

upload_2020-10-9_12-8-50.png

----------

Now, I have a technology question for @Marty, @darkmagistric, @ATIVQ, and co. about MPP versions. I know there was MPP 1.8, referred to as "generation 2" below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Source:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...orts-240-hz-report-rate-and-tilt.74586/page-8

But there is (perhaps) now an actual MPP 2.0 as stated in this thread according to HP's product specifications:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/microsoft-pen-protocol-2-0.75512/

Then again, the Bamboo Ink is claimed to be MPP 1.5 and 2.0 compliant, listed in a document noted in this post below. Are MPP 1.8 and 2.0 synonymous?

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/microsoft-pen-protocol-2-0.75512/#post-547440

If not, what are the improvements of MPP 2.0 over MPP 1.8? Does MPP 2.0 finally rid us of all humanly perceivable jitter?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  2. sonichedgehog360

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yo sonic, most of the MPP developments can be traced through the WinHEC Pen Input presentation materials, with the rough timeline as follows:

WinHEC 2016 - MPP1.51 major API developments (DirectInk, XML Canvas).

WinHEC 2017 - "MPP1.8" (just Elan's internal name, as no products were marketed under this version afaik) which formalized the current Windows 10 Pen State model.

WinHEC 2018 - MPP2.0 (tilt, 4096 pressure levels, GPU acceleration).

All throughout, you'll notice MS trying to attract pen/digitizer OEMs in China, an effort which they largely succeeded in imo, as evidenced by the plethora of MPP2.0 pens on Amazon/AliExpress (eg. Raphael5).

However, jitter is entirely dependant on the noise suppression and sensor pitch of the digitizer and pen signal quality, which all are a matter of parts cost. You can see how Elan offers the full stack of controllers (presumably with MS ordering custom parts for Surface products, much like the SQ1 from Qualcomm):

[​IMG]

Most of this info is conjecture based on my reading of both the WINHEC slides and MS' own pen documentation, but I hope that clarifies things a bit and gives you some leads for more digging. ;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. Pepper Jobs Ken

Pepper Jobs Ken Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi @sonichedgehog360 , Thanks for creating this thread, we don't really want to be a "killer" of another product, what we are trying to do is to bring the very expensive AMOLED portable display down to a more affordable price range (which is still expensive though).

5. sonichedgehog360

Thanks and welcome! I appreciate the humility and look forward to your crowdfunding campaign in the next week. Our community has a lot of tablet users, particularly professional artists, who thoroughly understand digital stylus and monitor technology and would be best equipped to evaluate your product. So, if you are looking for people to give your product trusted coverage, this is as best a place as any. I strongly recommend reaching out to Lisa (@MobileTechReview) and @surfaceproartist for evaluation purposes, as well as any other users here who might reply expressing interest in this thread.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  6. sonichedgehog360

7. Pepper Jobs Ken

We've postponed the launch to after Apple's "one more thing" event,
    the campaign will be online @ 17th NOV! Stay tuned!

8. Pepper Jobs Ken

Power adapter DOES matter, A LOT; and we've included the charger that we've tested and approved.
    No worries!

sonichedgehog360 and Marty like this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

This is an excellent point. My older Surface Pro 4 with its AC power adapter would have issues with phantom touch (touch inputs being detected when not touching it) when plugging it into my vehicle's AC power, but my Surface Pro 7 does not suffer from this issue, either due to improvement to the Surface Pro 7's internal power circuitry or its AC power adapter within the last few years. So yes, a quality AC power adapter will have the noise suppression circuitry to filter out the noise that would otherwise cause inaccurate input (pen and touch) detection.

10. sonichedgehog360

Updated the thread's first page with campaign page and new information!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020