XtendTouch Pro Portable Monitor (ASUS ProArt PQ22UC Killer) Megathread

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 30, 2020.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Lads, I think the perfect OLED portable monitor has finally arrived. It appears to have MPP support so that unobtainium unicorn device we have all longed for may be actually here. Time to move aside, ASUS ProArt PQ22UC:

XtendTouch Pro

World’s 1st AMOLED Portable Monitor
    4K AMOLED | 4,096 Touchscreen | >100% DCI-P3 | 99% AdobeRGB | Low Blue Light | 1ms Response Time | △E<1.5 | PD Passthrough Charging

[​IMG]

Official product page and crowdfunding campaign sign-up here:
    https://www.pepper-jobs.com/pages/xtendtouch-pro

Hopefully, this does not end up like some portable monitor campaigns (looking at you, TAIHE). Pepper Jobs has already sold many products on Amazon, though, so that does dramatically reduce the likelihood of this being some fly-by-night operation. I will be throwing my hat into the ring and signing up for the campaign so hopefully things do work out well!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    darkmagistric and Marty like this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Details scarce on the pen, but the ad material does mention "4096 Stylus with MS-CERT":

[​IMG]

So probably MPP, and the 4096 pressure levels suggest MPP 2.0? So it's probably a higher-grade Gen 6+ Elan digitizer...one can hope? :)

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its look really nice, but I’m nearly eternally skeptical of Kickstarter/CrowdSource. Wake me when it actually gets released.

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

DCI-P3 without 10-bit color? Not specifying the resolution?

This sounds like the Eve V "Pyramid Flipper" all over again. Promise the world (neglecting a few crucial details) and deliver a decent Surface Pro clone.

This is very likely going to be a clone of an existing 15.6" graphics tablet of which there is no shortage.

6. sonichedgehog360

From what I saw in my several parses of reading the product page, I did not see any mention of there not being 10-bit color support. Also, in double checking myself, I reverified that the resolution is specified as 4K (or 3840x2160) on their product page.

I checked out this company, and I even bought one of their products to see just how good the quality of their hardware is. I just received one of their W10 Gryo combo remotes and its quality is excellent. The backlit automatically flips on depending on the side of the remote you use, and the gyro system actually tracks smoothly unlike the other junk gyro mice out there.

EVE went in with very little experience and had only sold a rebranded 8" Windows tablet in very limited quantities prior to the Eve V. On the other hand, Pepper Jobs has been selling mini PCs, portable monitors, and PC accessories for some years now so I am much more confident in their abilities.

This is not a clone of an existing 15.6" graphics tablet because none out there with OLED and pen support. I would bet they are taking a laptop display digitizer unit from Lenovo, Dell or HP that has all these specifications and retrofitting it into a monitor chassis. This is a clever way to tap into the market because it means quick to market with a display unit that is already battletested for daily use.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Marty likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

The Kickstarter campaign opens October 20th. Stay tuned:

AEE624A9-8E24-4079-892E-E91ADBC93C9F.jpeg

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm a bit curious about its power needs. I'm assuming this does not have a battery....but...4K, Pen/Touch/ & 650 Nits of brightness seems like a tall order to be supplied entirely by USB-C. Most USB-C monitors are more around 300 nits purely for power reasons. I wonder if using it at 650 nits would require a separate power supply?

My HP Zbook x2 for example, at best gets 2-3 hours of battery life, and when I use in conjunction with my Asus Zen Touch USB-C monitor...and I choose to power it off the zBook and not its included battery, it zaps that 2-3 hour battery life down to 1.5. And the Zen Touch Monitor is quite dim...more around 250 nits...I hate to imagine the zBooks (or laptops) battery life pushing a 650 Nit monitor.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

My guess is they will use a USB-C power adapter and have it operate in an upper voltage mode of 12 volts at 1.5 amps meaning 12 to 18 watts. Between all of that, that should be more enough to feed it enough power for it to operate since this is just a 15.6-inch laptop display. After all, it is, to put it in loosely accurate terms, just a laptop display transplanted into a standalone shell. I don’t foresee a laptop display unit drawing any more than that at peak power since laptops are designed to operate for hours at a time from sometimes just sub-50 watt-hour batteries, and they have to also power processors, speakers, keyboards and other odds and ends.

10. sonichedgehog360

Confirmed, @Marty!

upload_2020-10-9_11-35-54.png