XtendTouch Pro Portable Monitor (ASUS ProArt PQ22UC Alternative) Megathread

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Pepper Jobs Ken

Pepper Jobs Ken Pen Pal - Newbie

By the way, I would like to share this video from Linustechtips to you guys:

From 3min40sec onwards, it compares the performance of OLED with a top gaming LCD monitor.
    It clearly shows how OLED @60Hz does the job (~3-4 frames) at about 2.5 times more efficient than a LCD monitor (~10 frames).

At the size of 15.6", the AMOLED display is definitely performing at the same level as a 120Hz/144Hz LCD monitor, if not better.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. Pepper Jobs Ken

OK, just a brief update for the unit we received back from the States (by a review website):

The picture quality is absolutely fine, I did not touch any settings, cleaned it and powered it up,
    connected to a Thunderbolt 4 laptop (Lenovo YOGA Slim 7 2021)

I checked it by myself. :rolleyes:

3. Pepper Jobs Ken

The background is pure black for sure.
    20201202124520.jpg
    (The phone is Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G)

4. Pepper Jobs Ken

After exchanging a few emails with the reviewer, I think we might have found the root cause of the problems:

Test device 1, Surface Book 3:

Surface Book 3 has NVIDIA graphics,
    and the default video output scheme is limited RGB instead of full RGB, with reference to this article:

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/

Confusingly, we’ve also observed the GPU defaulting to the ‘Limited Range RGB 16-235’ signal when connected to ‘4K’ UHD (3840 x 2160) screens – even though the resolution is listed under ‘PC’ as ‘3840 x 2160 (Native)’.”

Our XtendTouch Pro display is 4K UHD 3840 x 2160…

We can see how limited RGB drastically affects the gamma, black level & contrast ratio as well…
    [​IMG]

Test device 2, Hades Canyon NUC:

As for the Hades Canyon NUC, its problem is that the graphics does not output with RGB format,
    instead, it outputs YCbCr:
    [​IMG]

“When using HDMI, the default behaviour of AMD GPUs is not to use a ‘Limited Range RGB (16-235)’ signal like Nvidia GPUs, but rather to use a ‘YCbCr 444’ signal which is referred to by AMD as ‘YCbCr 4:4:4’. The use of ‘YCbCr 4:4:4’ compared to ‘Full Range RGB (0-255)’ has a slightly more pronounced effect on white point, contrast and measured colour values compared with on an Nvidia GPU. “

The impact is less, but still, it affects the results of the color outputs.

Marty and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  5. Pepper Jobs Ken

Quote:

"Black appears an obvious dark grey (overall static contrast suffers – this is measurable) and the gamma curve is shifted such that many shades appear a lot lighter than they should. The whole image looks like it has a sort of bleached haze over it, giving what is commonly referred to as a ‘washed out look’."

This is exactly the issue that the reviewer was having. NV graphics is outputting limited RGB @ 4K, instead of full RGB...

Mystery solved...

6. Pepper Jobs Ken

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Yep, I figured it had something to do with the color format they were sending to the monitor. Unless you select full RGB, you will get truncation (limited RGB) where you bottom out at a dark gray. There is also the shifting of the white point which I also did not consider, but that makes sense since I have sometimes noticed a very slight increase in intensity for white tones with YCbCr. 6400K is considered true neutral white in "monitor speak," so that makes sense. Per your link, YCbCr shifts the white point from very, very slightly red leaning to very, very slightly blue leaning, from 6318K to 6497K.

8. Pepper Jobs Ken

That's one hell of a great article, actually I've sent an email to thank the author for his masterpiece.

9. Pepper Jobs Ken

As promised, we shot 3 videos just now for the stylus performance update.

The final thing will only be better. :rolleyes:

Cheers~

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    sonichedgehog360 and Marty like this.
  10. Pepper Jobs Ken

P.S. The drawing on the HP does better sometimes, but those random jumping click circles (points) are persistent, I guess it's because of the lack of palm rejection hardware.