XtendTouch Pro Portable Monitor (ASUS ProArt PQ22UC Alternative) Megathread

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Do you have demo videos of the pen functionality, specifically testing line quality (diagonal jitter, smooth pressure variation, tilt)? Please test in ClipStudio Paint if possible.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

^This. Did Lisa at @MobileTechReview happen to get a review unit? She would be able to do that!

3. sonichedgehog360

I did some research into PEPPER JOBS and my conclusion is they seem to be very fluent in technology. They have the technical chops to do everything they have said they set out to do as their track record can attest. In 2008, MINIX, where PEPPER JOBS' founder was product director, designed the first ever ITX motherboard to offer full 1080p hardware decoding which naturally would be a huge deal among HTPC enthusiasts then when Blu-ray was to home media what UHD-Blu-ray now is. This is not PEPPER JOBS's first rodeo by any stretch--quite the opposite. They are not a fly-by-night like TAIHE, which was likely run by some green-around-the-gills recent college graduates who had no idea at all what they were getting themselves into. Over a decade ago, PEPPER JOBS' founder had already been managing the design of motherboards, a very complex computer component, which requires real-world, extensive technical know-how and expertise to iterate through and execute. Read this bio I found online from a Netherlands redistributor. It is an enlightening summary of the backstory of the company and Ken their founder. Ken is surprisingly the first person I have seen actually put himself and his company out there under public scrutiny. He has openly and freely addressed legitimate concerns on our web forum. That alone, I think, is a sure sign of a real winner here:

---

MINIX has its own research & development team and keeps a close eye on their needs through their forum, but they also answer questions from people who are stuck somewhere.

For me it was soon clear that I had to go with this quality brand and sell their products via minixwebshop.nl minix.nl and now also minixwebhop.eu. In order to get maximum performance from the Minix products and make the most of them, I started working with Martin from HardwareGuru. He has a lot of knowledge to fully utilize the NEO SERIES.

"Mr. Ken Wong, General Manager of Pepper Jobs, was formerly MINIX’s product director and defined many innovative products such as 780G-SP128M (world’s 1st mini-ITX motherboard that supports 1080p HW decoding), NEO-X series Android media hubs, NEO-Z series Intel-based mini PCs, and many other PC gadgets such as USB-C hubs & smart remote controllers."

In 2017, Ken switched to Pepper Jobs (founder MINIX) and through the good relationships with him I joined the new brand Pepper Jobs. And we have become the point of contact for Pepper Jobs Europe.

Founded in 2017 by a group of customer-focused gadget enthusiasts and engineers, Pepper Jobs aims to become one of the world's leading computing and mobile gadgets companies. To achieve this goal, Pepper Jobs has been developing a wide variety of innovative gadgets (like our W10 GYRO The world's 1st remote designed for Windows 10) with cutting-edge technologies and delivering them to our customers at an affordable cost. Through these products, Pepper Jobs strives to unparalleled satisfaction and reliability to consumers.

Pepper Jobs take pride in leading the market and we introduced our 3 year warranty right from the start in 2017, the best peace of mind available as a standard today. It reflects the confidence we have in our products and the benefit of years of continuous engineering improvement and proven experience with all Dynamic Positioning suppliers in the harshest environments.

---

Source:
    https://www.pepper-jobs.nl/en/service/about/

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Marty likes this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

Following up on this, you can measure the effective real-world contrast ratio (as memory serves me, this is around 8000:1 or greater for OLED in a dark room on account of ambient light bleeding in) and some setting they selected set the black point to gray. My gut tells me the reviewer had the color settings incorrect in the graphics driver, where full RGB was instead set to limited RGB. Doing that would limit the computer's black levels to stop at a level of 16 instead of 0 out of 255, which would make all blacks to be set to no lower than 16. Presenting a 16 to a display expecting 0 as black would mean the display would output gray at best at its darkest. @Pepper Jobs Ken, this might be NotebookCheck's problem.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Marty likes this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Send one to me and I'll do a proper yet shaky video using CSP. :D

7. Pepper Jobs Ken

Pepper Jobs Ken Scribbler - Standard Member

We have tested the black level this morning (The correct way to test the black level of AMOLED display is at lowest brightness & contrast settings, not highest)

The black level is 0.0074
    native black level.jpg

This is the native result prior to any optimizations.

When we are ready to ship the monitors out, this value should be under 0.002.

optimized black level.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  8. Pepper Jobs Ken

Yo, that's me. Like I said I've been doing that for years, interacting with users is a fun thing to do.

violajack and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  9. Pepper Jobs Ken

Brightness (typical) of the panel, which is very very close to the ~450nits value on its spec sheet.
    brightness_typical.jpg

(600nits is the peak brightness, not typical, it can be activated only with HDR mode in the mass production unit, the panel is fully compliance with VESA HDR 500 standard)

10. Pepper Jobs Ken

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Marty and sonichedgehog360 like this.