XtendTouch Pro Portable Monitor (ASUS ProArt PQ22UC Alternative) Megathread

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 30, 2020.

1. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

The manufacturer sent a “pre-production sample for our initial thoughts and impressions” to Notebook Check. Here are their results and thoughts:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-X...I-P3-coverage-and-4K-resolution.503438.0.html

There are various things that make you wonder why they sent it out for impressions this early, such as:

“At 0 percent and 100 percent, brightness is just 216 and 389 nits, respectively. Keep in mind that the manufacturer is advertising a maximum brightness of 650 nits which we are unable to reproduce.”​

But as they note, this is a pre-production sample and the manufacturer is said to be aware of the panel issues. Again, one wonders why they sent it out to a review site in that state? A potential buyer won’t be encouraged by this report.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. Pepper Jobs Ken

Pepper Jobs Ken Scribbler - Standard Member

We don't want to explain too much about that result, because it was inaccurate and there will be an update for sure. The AMOLED panel is having a 100,000:1 static contrast ratio, not 350:1 for sure. Even the worse LCD monitor can do at least 700:1 nowadays, we don't know what settings were tempered with the device and we shall communicate with the reviewer and helping him to fix it. I think posting one picture is easier than I say a thousand words (our monitor with the Lenovo Pad Pro 11.5" OLED)
    003.jpg

3. Pepper Jobs Ken

By the way, it's the same panel being used on the 2020 ENVY 15 OLED version, if this helps understanding its performance. We are fine-tuning the professional color profiles, and the correlation between brightness & Gamma this week, so that the HDR mode will be perfect when we mass-producing this monitor. Thank you!

4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

EDIT: As I state elsewhere, you can measure the effective real-world contrast ratio (as memory serves me, this is around 8000:1 or greater for OLED) and some setting they selected set the black point to gray. My gut tells me the reviewer had the color settings incorrect in the graphics driver, where full RGB was instead set to limited RGB. Doing that would limit black levels to stop at a level of 16 instead of 0 out of 255, which would make all blacks to be set to no lower than 16. Presenting a 16 to a display expecting 0 as black would mean the display would output gray at best at its darkest.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    dellaster likes this.
  5. Pepper Jobs Ken

This video does a normal presentation of our AMOLED panel, I think that explains a lot of the monitor's performance:

6. Pepper Jobs Ken

To be honest, I think a simple RESET in the monitor's menu will bring his device back to what it should be... 350:1 contrast is just impossible, he changed many of the settings, and I don't know which, that's why I am saying... hit on the reset button... :)

7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Thanks! For some reason, Kickstarter put my account as "under review" status so I contacted support to hopefully resolve this issue so I can actually comment under the project. As for the contrast issue, all I know is 300:1 would be immediately noticeable to the naked eye and would stick out like a sore thumb. ETA PRIME is a YouTube user I absolutely trust, even more than NotebookCheck since their reviewers vary. He has a very high-end camera setup that would immediately reveal the 300:1 issue and there are no off-black blacks at all shown there. It is quite possible the NotebookCheck user does not know how to properly configure the unit. I wonder if he actually reached out to express his concerns regarding this or just rushed to push out the review?

EDIT: As I mention later in this thread, you can measure the effective real-world contrast ratio (as memory serves me, this is around 8000:1 or greater for OLED) and some setting they selected set the black point to gray. My gut tells me the reviewer had the color settings incorrect in the graphics driver, where full RGB was instead set to limited RGB. Doing that would limit black levels to stop at a level of 16 instead of 0 out of 255, which would make all blacks to be set to no lower than 16. Presenting a 16 to a display expecting 0 as black would mean the display would output gray at best at its darkest.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  8. Pepper Jobs Ken

I will be here interacting with all of you as long as you wish. I've been doing this since I ran the MINIX brand for years, my old fans know how much I like talking to our users and to make a great product together.

Marty and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  9. Pepper Jobs Ken

When I see the true black isn't black, I immediately realized that something must be wrong with the settings... BUT! Look at it from the bright side, at least you know they are not communicating with us and are posting their honest opinions of their own, no matter it's accurate or not, we did not interfere, which is a good thing :) (The promotion video was also taken with the actual unit, so you can see how deep the black is)

Marty and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  10. Pepper Jobs Ken

One thing we have to mention is the firmware of this monitor is upgradeable through the USB-C port,
    so it can keep evolving based on users' suggestions and inputs, this feature is very rarely found on a monitor, and we are going to do it.