XtendTouch Pro Portable Monitor (ASUS ProArt PQ22UC Alternative) Megathread

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Pepper Jobs Ken

Pepper Jobs Ken Scribbler - Standard Member

Our monitor is running the MPP standard, not the Wacom standard.

2. Pepper Jobs Ken

Not at all, we've limited the brightness at a safe range and you are not getting max brightness unless you're running a pure white screen non-stop?

3. Pepper Jobs Ken

Touch and pressure sensitivity are 2 separate features.
    Comparable - How? There should be no other AMOLED portable display with pressure sensitivity support yet.

(We have also hacked the macOS touch support which Apple removed after macOS Mojave,
    but there is no way for us to get the pressure sensitivity working as the hardware is not supported by the OS)

4. Pepper Jobs Ken

The newest Huawei EMUI v10.0.0.175 supports pressure sensitivity...
    so sad that they were forced to exit the US market...

(tested on a Huawei P20 Pro that was released years ago, with the latest EMUI software)

Image_20210406151456.jpg

5. eyelabs

eyelabs Pen Pal - Newbie

Mate,

To me it looks like it could be a frequency problem - it looked like it occurs right on the image change. If that is the case then it is likely the cable/connection having too high of a signal loss/attenuation. Could be a wrong cable, could be a defective one. My first idea would be to swap the cable, primarily use a shorter one.
    That being said, while the unit could be defective, as everything can simply be defective either from the start or anytime after, that would fall under warranty. Looking at the customer service so far I see no reason why Pepper-jobs should not do their due diligence.

Independently from that, im- and exporting your own property is certainly not Pepper-Jobs duty to have solutions for, with the only exception being if it is defective and it goes to THEM, you can state a repair in your customs declaration and then afterwards on return, Pepper-jobs needs to reference to that so it remains basically a roundtrip without customs fees.

My tip re your journey: carry the invoice and ideally a customs declaration (that proves you imported it correctly and are in righteous possession of it) as with anything being potentially questionable when travelling. If you think it should fall under personal items but you make a business trip do at least carry a deliver slip stating explicitly what you have with you (batteries, cameras, lenses, laptops, monitors, tablets).
    Ask in travel forums, they have more experience than anybody here with a monitor that has only a few 100 units out in the field.

Btw. your statement
    is rude, unrealistic and not in the area of any professional warranty regulation, especially regarding the fact that you are an early adopter and got a specially priced item.
    Pepper-jobs is not responsible if you based hard decisions on the delivery of that monitor.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  6. JohnScott

JohnScott Pen Pal - Newbie

Right, I don't think there is. In fact, I couldn't find any portable UHD OLED display < $2k for the US market, with or without touchscreen capability. That's why I backed this project. I don't have use for touchscreen capability, so I was wondering how much a version without it might be.

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Hello all,

Let's keep the conversation civil - This is not an official channel for any hardware vendor, Pepper-jobs is here as member of the community. Refunds and warranty conversations should be moved to official channels.

Thanks,

8. chihoon Ahn

chihoon Ahn Pen Pal - Newbie

ok, I’ll delete it and directly send an e-mail to Pepper jobs.

Thanks

jnjroach likes this.
  9. Pepper Jobs Ken

I can't see the previous message but I'm trying to reply.

screen flickering - we are testing all Pro units one by one before sending, including power/charging, HDMI input, USB-C input, and the touch functionality, there is absolutely no need to worry about the hardware of the monitor. If anything happens, as @eyelabs said, I would suggest switching to a better cable, such as an 8K HDMI to mini-HDMI cable (extreme case).

HDR - true HDR metadata is within the HDMI input, which we have already enabled in our production firmware and verified with many HDR-capable devices such as PS4, PS5, SONY UHD BD player, Google Chromecast with TV, etc. For us, Windows 10 devices are not a really reliable source of testing and MS have never implemented HDR perfectly in Windows, e.g.: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ant-black-flickering-while-pc-gaming.3576364/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTec...x/windows_explorer_flickers_and_is_basically/
    https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9310-flickering-with-HDR-on-60Hz/td-p/7741742
    Even big name like Dell is telling their users to turn off HDR as a "solution"...

While type-C HDR is another story, there is no official definition of HDR output via USB-C ports, the standards are not unified across OSes and therefore we have manually override it in our firmware settings. It's a forced ON mode right now, and we shall introduce a better version of it that works more or less the same as the HDMI input via our future firmware update (which is on its way together with other enhancements). The nature of AMOLED does not really make a huge difference even we are just using manual override because the contrast ratio of AMOLED itself is already over 100 times stronger than LCD, bringing up the peak brightness and slightly enhancing the contrast would give a very similar result.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    jnjroach likes this.
  10. chihoon Ahn

chihoon Ahn Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Ken

I've urgently bought a new mini HDMI to HDMI A(v2.0) and tested and no problem occurred.

The original cable was problem with the glitch and random blinking issues.

I expect the new firmware for force HDR signal push later according to your mention.

Thanks.

eyelabs, Pepper Jobs Ken and jnjroach like this.