1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

XP18000 tip now available

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by coldpenguin, Jul 12, 2011.

1. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

Thought this was worth a new thread, as interested parties might miss it if they didn't subscribe to the battery thread (recent posts isn't working properly on the forum, at least, not for me).

2. Eoma

Eoma Pen Pal - Newbie

Tqvm! now to scout on good deals for the XP18000
  3. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

4. Loren

Loren Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks - ordered mine.
  5. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member

Beat me to it, just saw the email and ordered mine.
  6. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

I just checked their site yesterday for a status on this tip. Way to stay on top of it, coldpenguin!
  7. Doggie

Doggie Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a question that I am having trouble sorting through on all the prior threads about the xp18000---if you get this newly available tip---do you need to do any other modification or will the xp 18000 work as is. I having trouble understanding whether you need to do that other modification on the power supply or was that about not having a tip? Thanks for any help.
  8. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

It will work as is, no mods or other tips necessary. FWIW, I ordered this tip about 2 hours ago, and it has already shipped.
  9. Doggie

Thanks so much Meatlocker--I will order tip now too. (I am expecting the ep 121 to arrive tomorrow!!--trading in my HP 500)
  10. Loren

Loren Pen Pal - Newbie

WOW!
    Ordered my tip (for the EP121) yesterday and got it in the mail today!
  11. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks, ordered mine too
  12. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm getting to the point where I'm considering getting an external battery, given the crap 1 & 1/2 hours of battery life I'm getting....but in the long term isn't using an external battery really bad for the battery?

Since the Ep121's internal battery will be constantly charged by the external battery...won't using one deplete the li-ion recharge cycle count much faster?
  13. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...won't using one deplete the li-ion recharge cycle count much faster...>>

...In my experience, there hasn't been a noticeable difference. In saying this, I am assuming that you will be using at least some of the internal battery's capacity (i.e., you'll operate more than 2-3 hours) before your typical day is over.

However, if this really worries you, you can always turn off battery charging...
  14. UnderClock

UnderClock Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure if I follow you here. The EP121's internal battery will actually not be charged all the time.

When you attach the XP18000 (or similar), the Asus will see the external battery in the same way as it sees the EP121's 19V power supply.

Here's a typical real life scenario:
    • 1. - EP121's internal battery is 99% charged (it's internal battery management will decide not to start charging, because it's still higher than 97% or so). You have it connected to the EP121's 19V power supply.
    • 2. - You want to take your EP121 to on the go. You unplug the power supply and immediately plug in the XP18000. The EP121's internal battery will remain 99% charged (and will not discharge or charge) for as long as the XP18000 (capacity 70WH) lasts and remains connected. (When the XP18000 is empty or disconnected, the internal battery will start discharging, of course.)
    • 3. - If (like me) you have two XP18000 units you can charge one XP18000 unit at a mains outlet while you continue working with the other XP18000 unit. All this time, the internal battery will not get discharged or charged (if it stays above 97% or so). So you are only wearing out the external batteries (which can more easily replaced anyways).

Camping / sitting near the pool scenario
    Situation 3 (using 2 XP18000's one after the other) is something that I already found to be very handy on a camping trip last month:
    • While I was using my EP121 near the pool of the camping with XP18000 #1, XP18000 #2 was charging in the (public) main camping building.
    • When #1 was at 30%, I swapped the units, so #1 could charge and I would use #2 near the pool.

I had total peace of mind, because I would never have to worry about leaving my tablet unattended to charge. This was a very safe camping site, but still, if someone would steal my charging XP18000, I would only loose my EUR 130,= XP18000. While if would leave my EP121 to charge unattended, I risk loosing a EUR 1000,= tablet pc including all the data. So using an external battery allows you to "indirectly charge / keep charged" your laptop / notebook / convertible / tablet more safely in public or semi-public situations where there is a certain risk of theft.

Of course this scenario works not just for the Asus EP121 or notebooks, but for any device that can be charged with the XP18000 (or similar external battery), such as phones and portable game consoles.

TIP: Convert a Toshiba power adapter into one for the EP121
    I just ordered 3 tips in total. XPAL is charging me 2x EUR 4,95 (The Netherlands), even though they can ship this at once.

I have been looking out for getting these tips. My Toshiba notebook from work has a 19V supply. It's tip matches the 19V output plug of the small cord that comes with the XP18000. So I don't need any tip (also not the included ones) to charge / keep charged my Toshiba. (Also the Toshiba adapter can charge the XP18000 - the power input also matches).

The EP121 tips that I just ordered will also allow me to use the Toshiba power adapter for my EP121. That means more flexibility when packing for a trip.

Software tip
    If you don't use this already, this freeware / donorware utility comes highly recommended:
    BatteryCare
    Gives a lot more insight into the state of the EP121's internal battery than Windows. (it's a pity that it cannot monitor the XP18000's too)
  15. rancher5

rancher5 Pen Pal - Newbie

I also can verify the Tekkeon as a good external battery, well Fitted for the slate
  16. mmueller

mmueller Pen Pal - Newbie

A question for those who have ordered through the "Tips for live" program:

What Payment methods (credit card, paypal etc) do they accept?

I am asking since (as most germans) I do not own a Credit Card (Maestro Debit system works fine in Europe) so if the TfL shop only accepts CC the XP18000 is "not for me" and the st... shop wants a registration before it allows me to check out
  17. Loren

Loren Pen Pal - Newbie

I used PayPal.
  18. mmueller

mmueller Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! That means I can order the battery from Amazon and then get the tip. PayPal is the "other payment thing" I use
  19. Doggie

By the time I got my battery, the tips were already sold out and on backorder. they called me though to tell me and will have more in 6-10 days
  20. eyric101

eyric101 Pen Pal - Newbie

My tip arrived in 2 days